The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Rick Nash to Vancouver?

I don't believe you would have to overpay for Getzlaf. He's a UFA next summer and has been speculated that he isn't happy how Anaheim hasn't been able to recruit anyone to help out their 4 good players. After having one bad year where he was more than a point per game player for the previous 4 seasons, his value may be lower than it was 2 years ago. Add that to pending UFA status and the team more than likely losing him in one more year, will bring his value down on the trade market.

Schneider, Booth, Schroeder and a 1st is much less than

Schneider, Hodgson and 3 firsts as speculated at the trade deadline.

Secondly, if I were Columbus i'd rather have JVR, Simmonds and Bobrovsky (?sp)

Umm he's actually more of a 70 point player. And a 70 point player on a crappy team equals a 90-100+ point player on an elite team. Columbus has gotten worse and worse over the past few seasons, and he's obviously had enough of trying to carry them.

The guy has scored 30+ goals 7 out of his 9 seasons in the NHL, and hit around the 40 goal mark 3 times. When put with a center that can dish the puck, he's shown he can easily be a 40 goal scorer. Last time I checked that makes a player worth 7.5-8 million dollars.

How does that kill the franchise? You're being a bit dramatic. We give up Schneider, who was likely going to be traded all along anyways. Then we basically upgrade Booth with Nash, and give away a prospect that may or may not make the NHL, and a late first round pick that isn't guaranteed to be anything special.

That doesn't kill the franchise at all, in fact it may lift the franchise to it's first ever cup. Are people really this unaware of how dominant Rick Nash is as a player? I can't believe some people wouldn't want to give up some assets to have him on our team. He instantly turns this team back into a Stanley Cup favourite.

How do you know? Do you know what other teams are offering?

People don't seem to realize that star players are rarely ever traded for as many assets as people think they will be. Columbus is going to have to lower their asking price, cause no team is going to offer up that many pieces.

That's a pretty significant package. They get an elite goaltender that can steal games. They get a 25 goal scoring winger to help ease the loss of Nash. And they basically get two first round picks.

They want a goaltender, that's already been established. Why not get one in the Nash deal?

Umm he's actually more of a 70 point player. And a 70 point player on a crappy team equals a 90-100+ point player on an elite team. Columbus has gotten worse and worse over the past few seasons, and he's obviously had enough of trying to carry them.

The guy has scored 30+ goals 7 out of his 9 seasons in the NHL, and hit around the 40 goal mark 3 times. When put with a center that can dish the puck, he's shown he can easily be a 40 goal scorer. Last time I checked that makes a layer worth 7.5-8 million dollars.

How does that kill the franchise, you're being a bit dramatic. We give up Schneider, who was likely going to be traded all along anways. Then we basically upgrade Booth with Nash, and give away a prospect that may or may not make the NHL, and a late first round pick that isn't guaranteed to be anything special.

That doesn't kill the franchise at all, in fact it may lift the franchise to it's first ever cup. Are people really this unaware of how dominant Rick Nash is as a player? I can't believe some people wouldn't want to give up some assets to have him on our team. He instantly turns this team back into a Stanley Cup favourite.

Winning games does. And Schneider gives them alot better odds of winning then Mason.

Do you actually think that they're going to get a star player back for Nash? There's no way a player of his calibre is coming back the other way, so the damage is already done anyways. They want a bunch of good pieces, not one great piece.

They're obviously going to use their 2nd overall pick to gain that star power back.

umm that is unproven that 70 points on a crappy team equals 100 points on an elite team. Elite players are good no matter where or with whom they play with. Just look at Kovalchuk with Atlanta. Nash has done jack all to prove he is a 7.8 million dollar player. So he's gotten 40 goals in 2 out of 9 season. Not exactly a good track record.

It kills the franchise because Schneider is the guy whether you like it or not, and Schroeder is the only promising center in the farm, and while we're at it, you want to throw in a first round pick as well! Who are you? Glen Sather? Are you really unaware of how overrated Nash is as a player? All this hype is based on the fact that he was a first overall pick. Get over it, he's not that great.

Now lets say for a second, that trade does go through and we do get Nash. Sure we'll be a good team for a couple years or so until of course all hell breaks loose (no cap, minimal prospects) but you should know by now that DEFENCE wins championships! Rick Nash will not stop our defence from breaking down in the playoffs nor will he prevent Luongo from letting in 8 goals!

There's no way San Jose gives up any of those players for Nash, except for Havlat, and I guarantee Columbus doesn't want Havlat.

And if they gave up Niemi, who's gonna be in net for them?

I don't see him going to San Jose. Columbus wants younger players, not a bunch of aging vets.

If you go onto HF boards, there are many San Jose fans proposing Niemi to teams like the Leafs etc. San Jose has four goalies in their top 20 prospects. I don't know if their goalies are any good, but from what I read they aren't too concerned with losing Niemi.

Goalies can always be found via UFA. If Columbus were to sign a guy like Harding to share duties with Mason, that would suffice for that franchise. If I was letting Nash go, I'd want some fire power in return.

Well fans don't make trade decisions, so that realy doesn't mean much. If San Jose is going to go with one of their rookie goaltenders, they might as well go for a full rebuild.

When the goalie market is as thin as it is, it would be moronic for San Jose to give up a proven goaltender, in the hopes that they can just pick one up later.

From everything that's been reported, the Blue Jackets want young players to build around their second overall pick. They don't want veteran players that will only help them for a couple more seasons then walk as free agents. The only way San Jose gets Nash is if they offer up players like Couture and Demers.

Columbus will listen as soon as you say Schneider. Don't undervalue Schneider as being a huge piece in the trade.

They want the young franchise goalie to help jumpstart their rebuild, they're going to have to work with us on some level too.

I'm not undervaluing Schneider, you are overvaluing Schroeder and Booth. Neither one of them would fetch you a first round pick. Booth's talent would get you a first rounder but his 4.25 million contract coming off of a 30 point season sure wouldn't; and I don't think you'll find a GM in the league willing to give you a first rounder for Schroeder.

Archived