The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] On Luke Schenn

Personally, I would love for him to be in a Canucks jersey. He can either be a solid physical 5th or 6th defenseman or be that right handed shot along with Edler that can possible bring us another shutdown pairing. (Hamhuis-Bieksa being the first shutdown pairing) He is a great example of what Gillis wants, a younger, tougher and physical player who brings size to the team (6'2 229 lbs)

I don't think it's really fair and I don't understand how much hate this guy is receiving. I understand that he has struggled for the last couple of years (especially this year), but this guy has been playing since he was drafted at 18 years old (first couple of years playing really well, earning his current contract) for a struggling, re-building Toronto team, who only recently has become somewhat of a competitor for the playoffs. Going to a contender like us can help him improve and motivate him.

I believe peak years/ prime years come around the age range of 25-27. Playing already 4 seasons, Schenn has 3-5 years left to hit his prime as he is only 22 (Give the guy a break!). Schenn has already shown great physical defense which we need, he's also shown some struggles which will be worked on and developed to better play. if he were already in his mid 20s and still struggling, I would have less faith in him, but he's not, he's only 22 right now. If he is acquired, he will be our top hitter and among tops on our team in blocks.

Hits and Blocks Statistics for Canucks Defensemen (According to Yahoo!):

Dan Hamhuis - 82 GP/103 Hits/ 99 Blocks

Kevin Bieksa - 78 GP/ 159 Hits/ 106 Blocks

Alexander Edler - 82 GP/ 143 Hits/ 145 Blocks

Sami Salo - 69 GP/ 29 Hits/ 77 Blocks

Andrew Alberts - 44 GP/ 91 Hits/ 39 Blocks

Keith Ballard - 47 GP/ 61 Hits / 63 Blocks

Aaron Rome - 43 GP/ 64 Hits/ 62 Blocks

Chris Tanev - 25 GP/ 10 Hits/ 43 Blocks

Marc-Andre Gragnani - 14 GP/ 7 Hits/ 14 Blocks

Luke Schenn - 79 GP/ 270 Hits/ 115 Blocks

I think he still has tons of upside and potential to be great. He would be a great addition. We get younger on our defense as well.

I personally think this guy is a top 4 dman. He is really good. But his last season was horrible. I went to a game Leafs vs Panthers and right off the bat the Leafs won the face off, Schenn fanned on a shot and it caused a goal. 19:47 left in the 1st and he already caused a goal.

Cody Franson I'd rather have here

I think Schenn would really improve Vancouver's defense based on the fact that he is a natural right hand shot alone.

The fact that he is 229 pounds, 6 foot 2 and only 22 years old makes him an even better fit.

If Van does have to deal a goaltender this is the guy I would want back.

I wouldnt mind Franson, but I think Toronto would need to add something to make it an even trade. Bozak maybe.

I guarantee you if Ballard is on the market, Islanders GM Garth Snow will come calling and we'll be offered some attractive Bottom Six pieces like Matt Martin, Josh Bailey or even Frans Nielsen. Nashville could also have some interest in Keith Ballard. You guys really underrate this player, you do realize that MG brought him in to play as a top 4 D but he got outperformed and was relegated to a role he's not suited for? Imagine putting the Sedin Twins on the Third Line. That's what happened with KB4. It's time for the Canucks and Keith to either part ways or find more ways for Keith to adapt to being a Vancouver Canuck. It hasn't worked out thus far and I think it's best for both teams to move on.

Ill go through this for everybody.

1. Canucks trade for Schenn

2. Everybody says how he is going to be our next great Dman.

3. A few games into season people defend his "out of character" bad play.

4. Patience thins down, people begin to question why we got him.

5. After a season filled with defensive gaffs, people already regret the trade.

6. The trading Schenn proposals begin to fill CDC.

7. People say "if we have Schenn next year MG deserves to be fired."

8. We don't trade Schenn.

9. We get to "enjoy" another few seasons watching his poor play, while everybody wonders why we haven't traded him yet.

Schenn is not a good player, plain and simple. There is a reason almost everybody in Toronto wants him out. He is pretty much their Ballard (along with Komisarek). What ever potential he once had has dwindled away. He will be a bottom pair Dman for the duration of his career.

Agree with OP, everybody knows we have to take cap back in a Lu deal and 3.6 is enough to get it done without handcuffing us or having to add a player we don't want in the deal on a bad contract. D take a long time to develop, Schenn is still young and was rushed there is no doubt.

I believe Schenn would thrive in Vancouver, they like to play a wide open style in T.O. and while carlyle will help make toronto more successful in their own end they won't be the tight checking/defensive team Vancouver is. In a system like Vancouvers, with a coach like AV that likes to use match ups Schenn would be a huge asset.

to tor: luongo

to van: schenn, frattin, 1st pick 2013

schenn would flourish playing behind hamhuis, bieksa, edler, etc...

he is a 20 point, 2nd pairing shutdown defenseman, hard hitter (270 hits last season; career high) and he is CANADIAN!!!

dont look at his +/- because dont forget he was playing in TORONTO....you've seen the highlights...

look at matt greene for a perfect comparison

Ill go through this for everybody.

1. Canucks trade for Schenn

2. Everybody says how he is going to be our next great Dman.

3. A few games into season people defend his "out of character" bad play.

4. Patience thins down, people begin to question why we got him.

5. After a season filled with defensive gaffs, people already regret the trade.

6. The trading Schenn proposals begin to fill CDC.

7. People say "if we have Schenn next year MG deserves to be fired."

8. We don't trade Schenn.

9. We get to "enjoy" another few seasons watching his poor play, while everybody wonders why we haven't traded him yet.

Schenn is not a good player, plain and simple. There is a reason almost everybody in Toronto wants him out. He is pretty much their Ballard (along with Komisarek). What ever potential he once had has dwindled away. He will be a bottom pair Dman for the duration of his career.

Archived