The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] On Luke Schenn

Garrison only played the right side on the PP... He is a natural LD, but having the option of Campbell and Versteeg feeding him one timers on the PP (Campbell with 30 PP assists last year) it was a move that made sense.

In every highlight package I can find, hes on the left side, except for the PP... Also in every lineup card I can find, he's on the 3rd pairing.

Id take a chance on Luke Schenn for the hitting and shot blocking alone. He's a tougher much more effective version of Andrew Alberts, with underrated soft hands and much more offensive potential.

edit: also... I honestly think Schenn would fit beautifully beside Dan Hamhuis... a calm steady d partner is something the Leafs dont have, and I think would help Schenns mistake ratio drop off... As it does with Bieksa. Most defensmen dont play in the NHL at the age of 20, (now turning 23 in November)... Why? because they make mistakes. Luke Schenn probably shouldnt have been forced in so quickley, itd be interesting to see what he could do with a proper development plan. Its usually between 23 and 25 that we see trending start upwards.

There were 21 games last year, in which he had 5 or more hits in the game... THats a physical player the Canucks could use on the back end imo.

Garrison only played the right side on the PP... He is a natural LD, but having the option of Campbell and Versteeg feeding him one timers on the PP (Campbell with 30 PP assists last year) it was a move that made sense.

In every highlight package I can find, hes on the left side, except for the PP... Also in every lineup card I can find, he's on the 3rd pairing.

Id take a chance on Luke Schenn for the hitting and shot blocking alone. He's a tougher much more effective version of Andrew Alberts, with underrated soft hands and much more offensive potential.

edit: also... I honestly think Schenn would fit beautifully beside Dan Hamhuis... a calm steady d partner is something the Leafs dont have, and I think would help Schenns mistake ratio drop off... As it does with Bieksa. Most defensmen dont play in the NHL at the age of 20, (now turning 23 in November)... Why? because they make mistakes. Luke Schenn probably shouldnt have been forced in so quickley, itd be interesting to see what he could do with a proper development plan. Its usually between 23 and 25 that we see trending start upwards.

There were 21 games last year, in which he had 5 or more hits in the game... THats a physical player the Canucks could use on the back end imo.

Schenn is disgusting defensively, one of the worst in the league.

All those blocked shots come from him being hemmed in his own zone because he can't get the puck out along the boards successfully, and ends up getting shot at because of it.

And while those 270 hits looks nice, it has often lead to him being out of position defensively. You have to know when to make a hit and when to hang back to keep your position, and Schenn is too young to know the difference right now. He's been caught running around throwing his body so many times and it leaves his team exposed.

Agree with OP, everybody knows we have to take cap back in a Lu deal and 3.6 is enough to get it done without handcuffing us or having to add a player we don't want in the deal on a bad contract. D take a long time to develop, Schenn is still young and was rushed there is no doubt.

I believe Schenn would thrive in Vancouver, they like to play a wide open style in T.O. and while carlyle will help make toronto more successful in their own end they won't be the tight checking/defensive team Vancouver is. In a system like Vancouvers, with a coach like AV that likes to use match ups Schenn would be a huge asset.

Archived