Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Signing] Samuel Pahlsson to MODO

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
114 replies to this topic

#31 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

I think it is time to use players from our farm. >>>>>Jordan Schroeder<<<<<

If we're going to parade a 5'9", 180lbs third line center, might as well sign Wellwood.

Schroeder is diminutive and is a trade asset; not a third liner.

At best he'll be a filler on the second line in the absence of yet another misused third liner; Kesler. He'll do mediocre and sent to the wolves.

Edited by GHL, 17 June 2012 - 02:06 PM.

Posted Image

#32 CanucksWino

CanucksWino

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

Just throwing this out there, but if Lou gets traded to the Leafs, would Joe Colborne be a possibility as a player coming back? 6'5'', 218lbs. There's a lot that can happen between now and training camp... GMMG usually picks up players that Nucks fans don't see coming (Higgins, Lapierre, Booth, Ballard, etc...).

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Schroeder-Kassian
Higgins-Colborne-Hansen

#33 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,528 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

We ARE NOT going to pay a 3/4 line center 3+ million...because that is what he will command and GET July 1st so stop.

You're right!! sign him to be our 2nd line center adn put Kesler back on the wing where he is more effective.

#34 CanucksWino

CanucksWino

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

Paul Gaustad as a 2nd-line centre... Canucks.com!

#35 tocnhockey

tocnhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

care to make an informed reasoned opinion?

I did. I countered your informed reasoned opinion about Gillis.

Here's my other opinion, I think Gillis is doing a great job, so far, as the Canucks GM.

I also thought Phalsson did an OK job while here and wish him the best with Modo.

"He'll play, you know he'll play. He'll play on crutches."

linden_mclean1994.jpg

Kirk McLean and Trevor Linden -Game 6 1994 SC Finals

#36 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

Just throwing this out there, but if Lou gets traded to the Leafs, would Joe Colborne be a possibility as a player coming back? 6'5'', 218lbs. There's a lot that can happen between now and training camp... GMMG usually picks up players that Nucks fans don't see coming (Higgins, Lapierre, Booth, Ballard, etc...).

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Schroeder-Kassian
Higgins-Colborne-Hansen

Not a big fan of Colborne. His general hockey sense is lacking, and he does not use his size to his advantage at all. He has the potential to be a good player, but he hasn't really made any significant strides in his development yet.
Posted Image

#37 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

I did. I countered your informed reasoned opinion about Gillis.

where?
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#38 DanHamhuis

DanHamhuis

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Samuel Pahlsson we hardly knew yee
Posted Image

#39 D1rty D4ve

D1rty D4ve

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

Good luck back in Sweeden Sami. Does anyone think that Malhotra will be able to get back to that 3rd line center that he was before the injury?

Posted Image

The thread killer!

Philadelphia Flyers GM, CDC Sim GM Connected

#40 CanucksWino

CanucksWino

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

Not a big fan of Colborne. His general hockey sense is lacking, and he does not use his size to his advantage at all. He has the potential to be a good player, but he hasn't really made any significant strides in his development yet.

Yah - not saying he's a sure thing, but I was just trying to get people to think past Pahlsson and Gaustad. There are more options than just those two guys.

#41 CanucksWino

CanucksWino

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

Good luck back in Sweeden Sami. Does anyone think that Malhotra will be able to get back to that 3rd line center that he was before the injury?

I hope GMMG plans on adding a piece just in case he can't return to form. And if he can return to form, then it's a major bonus - dude was playing out of his mind before the injury. A shame. Last year he was a shell of his former self...

#42 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

Oh well. Failed experiment IMO

Most deadline deals are..

Wish we could have kept our fourth round picks. Chances are one of them would have proven more useful than Sami.
Posted Image

#43 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

If we're going to parade a 5'9", 180lbs third line center, might as well sign Wellwood.

Schroeder is diminutive and is a trade asset; not a third liner.

At best he'll be a filler on the second line in the absence of yet another misused third liner; Kesler. He'll do mediocre and sent to the wolves.

I can see that happening.
Posted Image

#44 tocnhockey

tocnhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

where?

now come on, don't make me add dim-witted as well ;) :lol:

"He'll play, you know he'll play. He'll play on crutches."

linden_mclean1994.jpg

Kirk McLean and Trevor Linden -Game 6 1994 SC Finals

#45 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,153 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

Lets see if he meets the criteria:

Bigger? No

Stronger? No

Younger? No

It's pretty obvious we weren't going to re-sign this guy. Hindsight is 20/20 but I wish we didn't give up those 4th round picks. Those have been pretty good to us in the last couple drafts.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#46 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

Im kind of glad. Im sure Pahlsson was a good team guy and great in the locker room but he didn't bring enough to the team. And in my opinion we need a good (and better) 3rd line center who can provide offense. Our 3rd line was great before the Hodgson trade (I am sorry to bring this up. I do not disagree with it all) and if we can get someone via FA or within or own system to play the 3rd line as well as Hodgson did this past year I would be gratefully happy. We more depth down the middle.

Kings had Kopitar, Carter/Richards, Stoll. Pittsburgh had Crosby, Malkin, Staal when they won the cup. We need a similar set up. Enough with trying to get tough. Toughness is useless if we can't get offense and depth. By all means I want toughness for the team but lets be smart and get tough guys that can actually contribute offesnively at the same time. 2 birds one stone deal.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#47 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

Well essentially he was the replacement for Cody Hodgson...when we acquired sami, it made Coho expendable..fail

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY, 17 June 2012 - 02:38 PM.

2moy3iq.png

#48 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

My best wishes to Pahlsson, hope he does well with MODO.

I think it was a worthy gamble to nab him for two 4ths, that said the gamble didn't end up paying off. There is no guarantee when it comes to drafting, but it would have been nice to have another couple Labates or McNallys in the system. Still, small price to pay for what Pahlsson could have done for us had things worked out better.
Posted Image

#49 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,414 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

Or we could have held on to Hodgson and dealt with the garbage with that. Traded him in the offseason and maybe gotten more value, and held onto our picks. That's all I'm saying.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#50 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

Pahlsson was alright right before the season ended, showed chemistry with Higgins and Hansen. But just didnt keep it up throughout the playoffs. We never really got to see his shutdown abilities either as he was rarely put out against LA's top line, but when he was, he scored a goal for us.

Good Luck Pahlsson

PS. Gaustad is overrated
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#51 Thrill-House

Thrill-House

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Brad Richards, 3rd round
Johnathon Quick, 4th Round
Datsyuk; 6th Round
Alfredsson: 6th Round
Kiprusoff: 5th Round
Ryan Miller: 5th Round

Is it common to find gems in the 4th round? No.
But....

Hindsight 20/20
Posted Image

#52 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

What a waste, as if we needed yet another defensive forward on the Canuck roster, but AV does love his defensive forwards...

Goes to show that we address our real problems, such as scoring in the playoffs.
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#53 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,153 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

I don't see why we would give up on Malhotra after one bad season. He did have a devastating eye injury that affected his training last offseason.

If he can get back to the 10/11 Malhotra, he's got just as much shutdown ability as Pahlsson and is better offensively.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#54 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

If our third line is going to be used for checking/shut down we've already got Lappy. Heck if Manny can return to form it's his spot.

#55 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

Foreshadowing of what the Sedins will do once they are done in Vancouver?

#56 CanucksWino

CanucksWino

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

I don't see why we would give up on Malhotra after one bad season. He did have a devastating eye injury that affected his training last offseason.

If he can get back to the 10/11 Malhotra, he's got just as much shutdown ability as Pahlsson and is better offensively.

I don't think it's a matter of giving up on Malhotra, as much as it's about preparing for the possibility of him not being able to return to form. Best case scenario (unlike like the past few years): the Canucks are loaded with bottom-6 depth that is physical, and can play serious minutes in the playoffs.

#57 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

Constantly giving up picks is going to cost this team badly down the road. If I'm correct the Canucks pick in the first, second, fifth, sixth and seventh for a total of five picks this year? Those picks become assets and Gillis is trading too many assets. He could have had 5 picks in the first four rounds and I can't say the trading of those picks helped the team much at all.

I think so far he has all the picks for 2013 as that third rounder from Florida in the Higgins deal came back in the Booth deal.

Most scouts and analysts feel the Canucks prospect pool is weaker than most teams and constantly trading picks isn't helping that. They are actually drafting pretty decent for the amount of picks and where in the draft. Keep at it and stop trading all the picks!

#58 CaNuCkSLoUiE23

CaNuCkSLoUiE23

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,394 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

At least we can get younger. Good luck for the future Sammy.

#59 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,961 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

We ARE NOT going to pay a 3/4 line center 3+ million...because that is what he will command and GET July 1st so stop.

Well, probably not if Manny is coming back? But...

If we paid Malhotra that 2 off seasons ago, and the cap is up what, up $9 mill since???

That would be pretty much EXACTLY the going rate. I'm betting Gaustad, who is younger and more physical, gets at least $3.5!

Gillis should have been aware that Kesler needed some recovery time and Hodgson could have filled his role.

Short sighted attitude. Not really as Kassian isn't a short term fit.

Neely 2.0

View is pretty good on both sides of the fence is it? :rolleyes:

Lets hope? Our payroll still has $2.6 or whatever pencilled in for a 3rd line stopper!

Most deadline deals are..

Wish we could have kept our fourth round picks. Chances are one of them would have proven more useful than Sami.

I tried to buy in to Pahlsson, but never saw the value. Was he better than CoHo defensively, sure! But that line never came close to the dominating presence Manny/Torres had with Hansen. Just not enough size as a line for that role. So regardless of who was better defensively, crafting that line never really worked.

Nor was it as effective as a scoring line as when we had CoHo!

If we did not get Sammy, everybody would have known Gillis was happy to give up the season to get rid of his pet headache. Just a GM trying to sell his product for the balance of the year, Pahlsson was nothing more than a migraine pill.

Now we still have have the same headache, no 3rd line center?

Well essentially he was the replacement for Cody Hodgson...when we acquired sami, it made Coho expendable..fail

Wrong, Pahlsson was acquired to fill the role we signed Malhotra for! And we will not be paying the both of them a combined $5.? if Manny is a chance to return.

Its just coincidental that he replaced Hodgson in the line up. AV had been re-crafting a different identity for the line with an offensive slant because of his different skills. But the coach always preferred that defensive style of player for that line.

#60 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,961 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

I tend to agree. And if it fails, we will still be a competitive play off team and there will be another Pahlsson avail at the deadline.

Our real challenge is replacing Hodgson!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.