The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Samuel Pahlsson to MODO

If we're going to parade a 5'9", 180lbs third line center, might as well sign Wellwood.

Schroeder is diminutive and is a trade asset; not a third liner.

At best he'll be a filler on the second line in the absence of yet another misused third liner; Kesler. He'll do mediocre and sent to the wolves.

Lets see if he meets the criteria:

Bigger? No

Stronger? No

Younger? No

It's pretty obvious we weren't going to re-sign this guy. Hindsight is 20/20 but I wish we didn't give up those 4th round picks. Those have been pretty good to us in the last couple drafts.

Im kind of glad. Im sure Pahlsson was a good team guy and great in the locker room but he didn't bring enough to the team. And in my opinion we need a good (and better) 3rd line center who can provide offense. Our 3rd line was great before the Hodgson trade (I am sorry to bring this up. I do not disagree with it all) and if we can get someone via FA or within or own system to play the 3rd line as well as Hodgson did this past year I would be gratefully happy. We more depth down the middle.

Kings had Kopitar, Carter/Richards, Stoll. Pittsburgh had Crosby, Malkin, Staal when they won the cup. We need a similar set up. Enough with trying to get tough. Toughness is useless if we can't get offense and depth. By all means I want toughness for the team but lets be smart and get tough guys that can actually contribute offesnively at the same time. 2 birds one stone deal.

My best wishes to Pahlsson, hope he does well with MODO.

I think it was a worthy gamble to nab him for two 4ths, that said the gamble didn't end up paying off. There is no guarantee when it comes to drafting, but it would have been nice to have another couple Labates or McNallys in the system. Still, small price to pay for what Pahlsson could have done for us had things worked out better.

Pahlsson was alright right before the season ended, showed chemistry with Higgins and Hansen. But just didnt keep it up throughout the playoffs. We never really got to see his shutdown abilities either as he was rarely put out against LA's top line, but when he was, he scored a goal for us.

Good Luck Pahlsson

PS. Gaustad is overrated

What a waste, as if we needed yet another defensive forward on the Canuck roster, but AV does love his defensive forwards...

Goes to show that we address our real problems, such as scoring in the playoffs.

I don't see why we would give up on Malhotra after one bad season. He did have a devastating eye injury that affected his training last offseason.

If he can get back to the 10/11 Malhotra, he's got just as much shutdown ability as Pahlsson and is better offensively.

I don't see why we would give up on Malhotra after one bad season. He did have a devastating eye injury that affected his training last offseason.

If he can get back to the 10/11 Malhotra, he's got just as much shutdown ability as Pahlsson and is better offensively.

Constantly giving up picks is going to cost this team badly down the road. If I'm correct the Canucks pick in the first, second, fifth, sixth and seventh for a total of five picks this year? Those picks become assets and Gillis is trading too many assets. He could have had 5 picks in the first four rounds and I can't say the trading of those picks helped the team much at all.

I think so far he has all the picks for 2013 as that third rounder from Florida in the Higgins deal came back in the Booth deal.

Most scouts and analysts feel the Canucks prospect pool is weaker than most teams and constantly trading picks isn't helping that. They are actually drafting pretty decent for the amount of picks and where in the draft. Keep at it and stop trading all the picks!

I tend to agree. And if it fails, we will still be a competitive play off team and there will be another Pahlsson avail at the deadline.

Our real challenge is replacing Hodgson!

Archived