The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2012/13 Cup Run

SpursCanuck

Hello all, new to the forum. Just been looking around and getting a feel for the place. I live over here in Scotland and been a fan of the Canucks now for 15 years.

Was pretty gutted at the 1st round loss to the Kings and that's now 3 years we have been beaten by the eventual Stanley Cup winners.

What I was wondering was, I know we are needing a top defenceman in the mould of Weber, Suter, Wideman or Rosival and in my opinion a stand out top six forward in the mould of Gaustad, Penner or Stoll in keeping with the Canucks wanting to get bigger.

Would you rather keep Luongo and Schneider for the new season and try you luck on free agency and have a strong tandem in net or trade one or the other for a decent package in return and bring in a new backup or try the yet untried Eddie Lack ?

I personally would trade Schneider as I think he would get us something more in return but I was wondering what your preferences would be regarding this issue ?

I would also go all out to get Moen to strengthen our third line, some added grit, toughness and someone who will drop the gloves when he needs to.

Hahaaaa - Go easy on the newb !

Also Luongo wants to be a starter and Schneider is a number one goaltender. I believe that it is important to trade at least one of them because a) the return we can get to improve the team and B) to prevent any distraction coming from the Schneider and Luongo scenario again. MG has to trade at least one goaltender for the sake of the team and both goalies or else, MG could alienate both players. .

I would trade Lou. He is normally brilliant, but at best has not been a difference maker in the play off's where he has been in the regular season. At worst, he has had lapses at key moments of series. He and the team had them in Boston, but its possible to shoulder much of back to back losses to Chicago on Lou. And Lou did not look as good against LA as Schneids, nor was he matching Quick. Schneider is the man!

Love the Moen idea, but? A lot of our team would have to shift... He'as another left wing. We need someone like him, exactly, on the right!

My money concentrates picking up a pack rushing right D, Schultz, and a big burly also right D (Souray, Jackman or Scott Hanan). Other guys, Garrison, Franson..., and at forward Arnott?

Welcome aboard!

If we keep Luongo and acquire a big-name defenseman, that d-man is going to come with a big cap hit. We can't pay for them both without getting rid of another key piece somewhere in the lineup. Why would we do that when we could just keep Schneider and go forward with a younger, cheaper, better goaltender who seems to be able to hold his own in the playoffs way better than Luongo does...

I still agree with the people who say trade Luongo while he still has a decently high value, and since the goalie market is so freaking gross right now... and since Burkie's undies are starting to turn brown (or green or black depending on what he has been eating)...

If we wait until next year (and Luongo plays at an A- to B+ range), i wouldn't think we would get close to what we would get right now.

I am a huge fan of Luongo, but the team has an easy out right now, and could potentially fill voids in our line-up that will probably not be filled during free agency.

trade schneider, raymond and tanev for kane, keep lou obviously, train lack under lou, sign shultz because he wants to play for his fav boyhood team, and we're good. patty is back, pinnozoto (however you spell his name) will play as well on the 4th, raymond will have a good year with hansen and higgins on the 3rd, and BOOM!!! THE CUP IS OURS!!!!

So simple :bigblush:

trade schneider, raymond and tanev for kane, keep lou obviously, train lack under lou, sign shultz because he wants to play for his fav boyhood team, and we're good. patty is back, pinnozoto (however you spell his name) will play as well on the 4th, raymond will have a good year with hansen and higgins on the 3rd, and BOOM!!! THE CUP IS OURS!!!!

Also Luongo wants to be a starter and Schneider is a number one goaltender. I believe that it is important to trade at least one of them because a) the return we can get to improve the team and B)to prevent any distraction coming from the Schneider and Luongo scenario again. MG has to trade at least one goaltender for the sake of the team and both goalies or else, MG could alienate both players. .

I would try to sign Schneider first and foremost, and think Luongo is more likely to be moved (at least that is what I would do if the right offer was on the table) - ideally (for all parties) to Florida - for one of their big young centers , one of their big (preferably right handed) blueline prospects, and perhaps a roster winger - preferably a right winger. (Theodore has one year left at 1.5 million, so he is a possible piece as well) but I'd rather see Lack get a shot.

Florida young centers - Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Matthias, Howden...

Young blueliners - Gudbranson,Kulikov, Ellerby, Pertrovic

Florida had some intersesting wingers, but some cap space would be nice to hold onto as well.

Sign a UFA blueliner or two - Garrison, Schultz, Kuba, Allen, Aucoin, Gill.

If Phoenix is hampered by complications and Doan hits the UFA market, a power forward right winger would be an epic signing - and he is the best fit among potential winger UFAs. 20+ goal scorer, 200+ hits, huge, skilled, mean, hungry character guy - give him a raise on the 5 million he made this year.

A guy like Moen would be a nice depth forward to add.

The Canucks have a viable pool of blueliners but if a prospect and UFA or two were added, it would open the option to move an asset for a depth center. The Canucks also have a viable pool of centers, but if a prospect were added in the Luongo deal, it would be a good start in adding to the depth at that position, and there are a few UFAs, but they will be in high demand and the bidding will be high. I don't think, as many people on here do, that is it realistic or necessary to add a number 1 blueliner - the cost would be immense, and we have a couple great blueliners already, even if they are taken for granted. I'd be happy with a couple guys with 4,5, and 6 spot potential. I would certainly not be spending a handful assets on a guy like Nash - I'd much rather use the goaltender move to add another 2 or 3 players, survey the UFA market, and then see what needs may remain.

I would try to sign Schneider first and foremost, and think Luongo is more likely to be moved (at least that is what I would do if the right offer was on the table) - ideally (for all parties) to Florida - for one of their big young centers , one of their big (preferably right handed) blueline prospects, and perhaps a roster winger - preferably a right winger. (Theodore has one year left at 1.5 million, so he is a possible piece as well) but I'd rather see Lack get a shot.

Florida young centers - Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Matthias, Howden...

Young blueliners - Gudbranson,Kulikov, Ellerby, Pertrovic

Florida had some intersesting wingers, but some cap space would be nice to hold onto as well.

Sign a UFA blueliner or two - Garrison, Schultz, Kuba, Allen, Aucoin, Gill.

If Phoenix is hampered by complications and Doan hits the UFA market, a power forward right winger would be an epic signing - and he is the best fit among potential winger UFAs. 20+ goal scorer, 200+ hits, huge, skilled, mean, hungry character guy - give him a raise on the 5 million he made this year.

A guy like Moen would be a nice depth forward to add.

The Canucks have a viable pool of blueliners but if a prospect and UFA or two were added, it would open the option to move an asset for a depth center. The Canucks also have a viable pool of centers, but if a prospect were added in the Luongo deal, it would be a good start in adding to the depth at that position, and there are a few UFAs, but they will be in high demand and the bidding will be high. I don't think, as many people on here do, that is it realistic or necessary to add a number 1 blueliner - the cost would be immense, and we have a couple great blueliners already, even if they are taken for granted. I'd be happy with a couple guys with 4,5, and 6 spot potential. I would certainly not be spending a handful assets on a guy like Nash - I'd much rather use the goaltender move to add another 2 or 3 players, survey the UFA market, and then see what needs may remain.

Archived