The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3rd line centre situation

406281dylan

Canucks Centres will be (at the start of the season)

Hank

Higgins

Lappy

Manny

Enter Kesler and Higgins can slide into a winger spot.

WE have Schroeder as well, so I'm not too sure we will be getting a bottom 6 centre on the market. Best to get a top 6 winger to move forward.

It will depend on what type of system AV wants next yr. If post trade deadline and 2 previous yrs are any indication, he wants another 'Manny' like centre. A guy who can play against opponents top lines every night - something a rookie won't likely be entrusted with (Schroeder). Given he only used Lappy in that role for maybe 4 games last yr, I'm guessing they don't want him there either. To me, process of elimination means they'll be looking for one in FA or trade. After browsing the advanced stats site, there aren't any available in FA (Guastad is perhaps the closest).

I'd really like to see Gillis think 'long term' instead of band-aid solutions. Bring in a young centre to fill this role, no more older guys (Pahlsson, Guastad, Arnott, Ott). This guy can move up the depth chart once Sedins retire, and/or when Keslers injured. Sean Couturier and Brandon Sutter come to mind. Unlike last summer, Gillis has a big chip to play (goalie) - I'd like to see him parlay it into one of these guys - maybe 3 way trade? This position is the central-piece in AVs system. No more risks or old guys for this position, please. Get a sure thing.

Why don't we trade something like Edler + Schneider to Toronto for the 5th overall pick, we could draft Galchenyuk/Grigorenko, who could easily fill in for Kesler, when injured, and they'd be better than Cody. Also, we could get rid of Edler, who might not want to sign next year.

Jordan Schroeder could be an option or sign a UFA.

Here are some 2012 UFAs – Centers remaining:

Daymond Langkow -------- Phoenix Coyotes ------------------- $4,500,000

Jarret Stoll -------------------- Los Angeles Kings ---------------- $3,600,000

Jochen Hecht ---------------- Buffalo Sabres --------------------- $3,525,000

Olli Jokinen ------------------ Calgary Flames --------------------- $3,000,000

Jiri Hudler -------------------- Detroit Red Wings ----------------- $2,875,000

Jason Arnott ----------------- St. Louis Blues --------------------- $2,800,000

Steven Reinprecht --------- Vancouver Canucks ---------------- $2,050,000

Jay McClement -------------- Colorado Avalanche -------------- $1,450,000

Torrey Mitchell -------------- San Jose Sharks ------------------- $1,366,667

Brendan Morrison ---------- Chicago Blackhawks ------------- $1,250,000

Kyle Brodziak ---------------- Minnesota Wild -------------------- $1,150,000

Dominic Moore --------------- San Jose Sharks ------------------ $1,100,000

Jim Slater ---------------------- Winnipeg Jets -------------------- $1,000,000

Daniel Winnik ----------------- Colorado Avalanche ------------- $950,000

Erik Christensen ------------- Minesota Wild --------------------- $925,000

Why don't we trade something like Edler + Schneider to Toronto for the 5th overall pick, we could draft Galchenyuk/Grigorenko, who could easily fill in for Kesler, when injured, and they'd be better than Cody. Also, we could get rid of Edler, who might not want to sign next year.

I say let Burrows play 2nd line center and let someone else take the face offs ... He can do anything.... He could even play back-up to our #1 goalie if he wanted.... For some reason, I always feel comfortable whenever (and wherever) he is on the ice.... =)

AV can give Booth some appropriate training time with the twins too!

We have 4 viable options right now, but you win Cups with depth up the middle and we could use a spare good centerman.

Obviously Gaustad jumps out as a favourite, but Jay McClement would make our 3rd line (with Hansen and Raymond) more of a shutdown type line, whereas Arnott or Hudler could give us more of a tertiary scoring line. Depends which way MG decides to go, but I am not happy with losing Hodgson, then losing Pahlsson to MODO and their only replacement is Schroeder. He's not ready, sorry.

Sedin - Sedin - Booth (Booth shined with the twins at the end of the season)

Burrows - Lapierre - Higgins (ex-Habs and French Canadians all have good chemistry together)

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen (speedy line but not much experience or toughness)

Bitz - Malhotra - Kassian

Weise

As fine as that looks, Schroeder I feel is not ready for the jump. Jensen is though.

Give Brodziak 4x 3.5-4 if he hits free agency. From St. Paul, Alberta former Edmonton Oiler had 22 goals and 22 assists in 82 games last year. He had 66 PIM and was a -15

That's okay though, we can work on the -15 and he'd likely lose some offensive numbers in favour of playing more difficult defensive minutes. He's 6'2 209lbs and can probably fill in for Kes while he's on that injury hiatus.

Meanwhile, we can either send Manny to the Wolves for a bit or put him on the 4th line.

Big shift coming in the NHL at forward position. It started a few years ago and it's getting to be a big part of game planning for coaches and roster planning for GM's. It's called "versatility". You now see about half a dozen or so face-off guys (or centers as we use to call them) on any given forward corps. So between AV and MG they just have to figure out who our best face-off guys are or train up a couple guys (I could actually see Booth being pretty good at face offs with Kesler still playing the center ice role of crease to crease). The main deal we see today is that up to now, self declared centermen pretty much got most of the face-off training and experience. Now NHL coaches only care about 1 thing at center position: win faceoffs. And if a winger can be trained up to win more faceoffs than a traditional centerman, then so be it...he'll take the draws instead.

If we're going to make a move for any player, let's get what we need while the game is in motion...not just for the micro-second that the puck is dropped. GM's are more and more these days building around this philosophy rather than the traditional role model. So what are we missing on our third line? I say we need energy and speed so if we can get a player that fills THAT role 15-17 minutes a game then I'm for that instead. We can teach someone to stand in there and take the draws (kind of like when AV was working with Raymond to take draws before).

This is all fine and dandy but we should really be concerned about finding another top 6 playmaking forward and a right sided top 4 D more than figuring out who our third line centre will be when we do have Lapierre and Malhotra under contract.

Archived