The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3rd line centre situation

406281dylan

I think we trade for Ott and buy Manny out then re sign him for way the fudge less.

That way Ott is on the left wing of the third line, Lappy is 3rd line centre to improve his ability. Manny permanent 4th line duty, with Weise/Bitz and Hansen.

Ott is a center too so we'd have another back up.

Lapierre has skill, he has talent, I was there in Phoenix when he turned over the puck and scored the 4-0 goal I think it wasi n November.

He has the pedigree for 3rd line center, he just needs ice time and coaching. He has a SCF gwg so you know he's there for the big moments.

Just need to cut Raymond and give Manny less so we can sign a D and Ott.

Daaannnnggg!

You would have serious jam in a GM position. And it would be exciting!

I'd love to know your proposal to grab Couturier?

(Its what I think MG has been trying to steal on the cheap).

It will depend on what type of system AV wants next yr. If post trade deadline and 2 previous yrs are any indication, he wants another 'Manny' like centre. A guy who can play against opponents top lines every night - something a rookie won't likely be entrusted with (Schroeder). Given he only used Lappy in that role for maybe 4 games last yr, I'm guessing they don't want him there either. To me, process of elimination means they'll be looking for one in FA or trade. After browsing the advanced stats site, there aren't any available in FA (Guastad is perhaps the closest).

I'd really like to see Gillis think 'long term' instead of band-aid solutions. Bring in a young centre to fill this role, no more older guys (Pahlsson, Guastad, Arnott, Ott). This guy can move up the depth chart once Sedins retire, and/or when Keslers injured. Sean Couturier and Brandon Sutter come to mind. Unlike last summer, Gillis has a big chip to play (goalie) - I'd like to see him parlay it into one of these guys - maybe 3 way trade? This position is the central-piece in AVs system. No more risks or old guys for this position, please. Get a sure thing.

Jay McClement -------------- Colorado Avalanche -------------- $1,450,000

Jason Arnott ----------------- St. Louis Blues --------------------- $2,800,000

I can see the canucks trying to sign McClement as a third line center with lappy playing wing with Hanesn

With Pahlsson signing a 3 year deal with Modo in Sweden, it's now certain the Canucks are searching for a 3rd line centre. It was pretty certain before but I suppose there was always the possibility Gillis would re-sign Pahlsson.

I suggested Paul Gaustad for this spot before but more and more I'm liking the idea of Jason Arnott. First of all, with Kesler being a favourite on the 1st PP unit, it leaves the 2nd unit without a skilled centre. It was fine when Hodgson was here but after being traded it was an issue. Arnott's actually known to be an effective PP guy and he could anchor the 2nd unit nicely. He's also a big body and a leader. Leadership is a trait sorely needed in this locker room, in my opinion,

Yeah, I think I just got sold on Arnott. I'm really hoping Gillis signs this guy. Would be a great addition to a contending roster like ours. Who knows? If he still has the ability to make others better, maybe Hansen improves on his numbers from last year with Arnott as his centreman. We'd be getting an increase in production from that 3rd line all around.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Raymond

Higgins - Arnott - Hansen

Malhotra - Lapierre - Kassian

With Pahlsson signing a 3 year deal with Modo in Sweden, it's now certain the Canucks are searching for a 3rd line centre. It was pretty certain before but I suppose there was always the possibility Gillis would re-sign Pahlsson.

I suggested Paul Gaustad for this spot before but more and more I'm liking the idea of Jason Arnott. First of all, with Kesler being a favourite on the 1st PP unit, it leaves the 2nd unit without a skilled centre. It was fine when Hodgson was here but after being traded it was an issue. Arnott's actually known to be an effective PP guy and he could anchor the 2nd unit nicely. He's also a big body and a leader. Leadership is a trait sorely needed in this locker room, in my opinion,

Yeah, I think I just got sold on Arnott. I'm really hoping Gillis signs this guy. Would be a great addition to a contending roster like ours. Who knows? If he still has the ability to make others better, maybe Hansen improves on his numbers from last year with Arnott as his

centreman. We'd be getting an increase in production from that 3rd line all around.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Raymond

Higgins - Arnott - Hansen

Malhotra - Lapierre - Kassian

The other dark horse to pick up might be Olli Jokinen.

Not my first choice, BUT, he has had a 90 point season. Last season, 61 points playing in Calgary. His value is diminishing, he was in a 5 year 5.25M contract, then in a 2 year 3M contract, so, at 33, offer him 1 year at 2M, or 2 years at 1.75M.

A third line center who could play on the second while waiting for Kesler, who could put up 50 points?

I wonder if Reinprecht would come for 1M or so.

He's 36, had 43 points with Chicago in 57 games, had 46 points one season with Phoenix, he might be an option to fill a gap.

Hank, Kesler, Malholtra, Lapierre, Reinprecht.

Extra centers and depth in a line up are a good thing.

Why don't we trade something like Edler + Schneider to Toronto for the 5th overall pick, we could draft Galchenyuk/Grigorenko, who could easily fill in for Kesler, when injured, and they'd be better than Cody. Also, we could get rid of Edler, who might not want to sign next year.

Sedin - Sedin - Burr

Booth - Ebbett - Higgins

Raymond - Lapierre - Hansen

Volpatti - Malhotra - Kassian

Pinizotto

Bitz

I really am not sure if Schroeder is ready for the only position available for him (#2 Center) but if he impresses in camp then I can see AV tweaking the lines which may see Ebbett (unsigned as of now but I believe will and should be re-signed) moved down a notch on the depth chart.

This is how I see our forward lines looking if we were to avoid making trades, which as we know is incredibly unlikely. I will save my lineup with new acquisitions included for when I learn who those new acquisitions will likely be.

I think Ebbett should be re-signed as well, but to a two way contract so that if he doesn't make it on the Canucks he can be a very good top 6 centre for the Wolves. You can make your farm team very competitive with guys like this.

Archived