The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks on Loan

Peter Gunn

This happens all the time in the AHL. In fact, when Skinner got traded from the Canucks/Moose to Anaheim's system he was loaned back to the Moose as the Ducks felt that it would be better for his development. With veterans especially, players are loaned.

This has happened at the NHL although it is a little bit different. For example, the Columbus Blue Jackets loaned Geoff Sanderson to the Canucks for a 3rd round pick and he was sent back to Columbus for "future considerations".

I don't know if the NHL would allow this for big ticket players (nhl might reject trade?). For example, Columbus trading Rick Nash to the Rangers for a first round pick & prospect but the Rangers have to agree to trade Nash back after the playoffs. If there wasn't a legal agreement that could be put into place, conditional draft picks could be used as insurance (in this case 7 or 8 conditional first rounders). This would snatch CJB a solid draft pick, save them over a million bucks and increase their chances of finishing further down in the standings (increasing chance at 1st overall).

I think teams would rather develop players themselves. Plus there is always the tampering issue, because Toronto management would have more access to our player then we will (in that scenario of Cody Hodgson to Toronto). Can't see this working in the NHL.

This makes zero sense, also in soccer dont they loan players to other leagues? (Dont follow club soccer) Loaning players to teams that you'll play is just plain stupid.

It's possible in soccer because the many leagues that there are, and the thousands of elite soccer players out there. Hockey theres what like under 1000 players in the NHL?

Only way it would work is if players were loaned to say the KHL or something, but that sure is not happening.

The NHL has most of the best players in the world, so loaning some of those would just make the talent pool weak, who is going to fill in? Soccer players are spread out in many different leagues around the world, so thats what makes it possible for them.

And that hurt CS how? The minors are for development, without that time with the moose CS may be a totally different goalie. Same for any call-up they utilize the call-up time to improve their game in the clubs system at the NHL level. Not on a loan to another conference or different minded team. It makes no sense for the NHL?

:canucks: NUFF SAID :canucks:

Yes...exactly. Manchester United doesn't "loan" out players to Manchester City, Chelsea... or anyone else in its own league. They loan out to Spain or Portugal..etc...in a completely different league.

Author has an "amusing" idea but just not too logical.

Loaning i think does happen in the AHL level as some teams place their rookies / veterans on different AHL teams that are not their affiliate.

If there was another quality league out there I think it would be fair. Say if the SEL (was less of a retirement league for old Swedish players) and the NHL worked out a deal to allow for it. Allow our young players a place to play against men and other high quality players (veterans).

The other national leagues like the SEL would have much more veterans for the rookies to learn from. They may have a high quality hockey support team than say the tiers below the AHL.

As far as the injury concern goes , either way a player drafted would be playing hockey. They will be subject to the chance of injury whether they play on the main team / farm team or a team they get loaned out too.

Salary cap wise it is no different than having the entry level contracts of rookies. When they play for Canucks they count , when they aren't on the team they don't.

I don't think it's far out , don't hate because it's an idea more transparent in soccer. The NHL-AHL system is the same thing.

An interesting idea but not very practical in the NHL.

Kes, what do you think your doing hitting our guy? Gee coach, he was carrying the puck along the boards so I hit him as hard as I could.

Or one of our guys gets involved in a scrum with an opposition player and is our 'on loan' player supposed to jump in and fight our player?

Do you think the opposition has a vested interest in developing our players?

We would also be back to the big money teams like the NYR or TO buying a team again. Hey you lend us Stamkos and we will lend you a goalie. After the playoffs we will send Stamkos back your way....we just want him for the Cup run. If we win the Cup, we will send you a ist rnd pick and a veteran dman.

What happens with the cap hit? A team could play most of the year, playing just well enough to make the playoffs and maintain their draft position, and then load up on loaners for the Cup run.

I think this would prove to be a detriment to a player drafted by a contender because he would never get a call up, the team would get a veteran loaner instead.

in soccer there is alot of latteral leagues meaning same skill so a really good mls team that has no room for a talented young guy but he needs playing time can be loaned to another league usually of the same skill level to a team that has room for him so they can develope the only thing i could see NHL loaning players to would be swedish elite league and players could polish up there skating and skill game over there but you would never loan a player to another team in the same league , the closest thing the nhl had to loan playres is when a good player is at the end of his contract and his team isnt making the playoffs gets dealt at the deadline for a 3rd round pick and then resigns with the team that traded him in the offseason it used to happen alot a few years back.

What if we loaned a player to a team and he ended up helping them win a cup against us? Loaning a player to another league would be cool but loaning him to a team you'll play? Naw.

An interesting idea but not very practical in the NHL.

Kes, what do you think your doing hitting our guy? Gee coach, he was carrying the puck along the boards so I hit him as hard as I could.

Or one of our guys gets involved in a scrum with an opposition player and is our 'on loan' player supposed to jump in and fight our player?

Do you think the opposition has a vested interest in developing our players?

We would also be back to the big money teams like the NYR or TO buying a team again. Hey you lend us Stamkos and we will lend you a goalie. After the playoffs we will send Stamkos back your way....we just want him for the Cup run. If we win the Cup, we will send you a ist rnd pick and a veteran dman.

What happens with the cap hit? A team could play most of the year, playing just well enough to make the playoffs and maintain their draft position, and then load up on loaners for the Cup run.

I think this would prove to be a detriment to a player drafted by a contender because he would never get a call up, the team would get a veteran loaner instead.

As stated in the post - one player offered prior to the start of the season, he ends up in the Eastern Division with whomever and plays the regular season, and if you don't like the idea of meeting him in the playoffs then he comes back to the Canucks after the regular season is completed. He can't be moved or traded for the reasons you and others suggest.

Yes...exactly. Manchester United doesn't "loan" out players to Manchester City, Chelsea... or anyone else in its own league. They loan out to Spain or Portugal..etc...in a completely different league.

Archived