The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ballard

CanucksFanMike

hey guys,

I was watching Keith Ballard closely in the playoffs. Although they were eliminated in five, I thought that quietly Keith Ballard was very solid. He moved the puck well, and was never caught out of position. For the first time, I thought he looked like a legit top 4 defenceman in a Canucks uniform.

So, I think that next year, unless they sign/ trade for an upgrade in the top 4, Ballard should be given a third chance (i know, getting old) to prove he can play top 4 minutes and stay there for the whole season. He looked good in the playoffs and I think he deserves a shot at proving he can continue is solid play into next season.

A lot of people might trade him to get rid of his contract (4.2 M for the next two seasons) but if he plays a top 4 role next year I think it would be worth the money. So long as he stays in position and avoids turnovers defensively, uses his great ice vision and puck-moving ability, and jumps into the rush at appropriate times, he doesn't need to make a lot of noise. He just needs to stay out of the spotlight for all the wrong reasons, which he has failed to do for the past two years in Vancouver.

What do you think?

I agree 100%, and I didn't think he was bad at all the Regular season, he was average.

Then in the playoffs he was our best D-man, I watched him closely like you and I agree with all your points.

I still think he should play with Edler, move Edler to the right side and Ballard to the left, they did it in the pre-season and I didn't think they were terrible. AV should give them time together.

Archived