The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks will match any offer sheets to Schnieder

Bieksallent_Canuck

The future of superstar forward Rick Nash headlines all pre-draft trade speculation.

The Columbus Blue Jackets know Nash would prefer a deal get done sooner rather than later, but if Zach Parise becomes a free agent, the Blue Jackets may have to wait beyond July 1 to get a true sense of what the trade market is willing to offer.

All seven Canadian NHL teams are hungry to make change, even if Nash's eye is focused south of the border with the New York Rangers and San Jose Sharks still considered his preferred destinations. However, Nash may have to soften and expand the list of teams he's willing to go to.

The Toronto Maple Leafs' needs - for starters - are significant. An experienced goalie, a top centre and a tad more bottom-six grit and depth are among the items on the Leafs' shopping list.

Amid ample speculation swirling around defenceman Luke Schenn, the Leafs refutes that he's being shopped and management says it isn't willing to part with Jake Gardiner. But teams are aware they do have extra "D" for sale.

The Montreal Canadiens want to get bigger and stronger and are hoping to add a left winger to play with Tomas Plekanec and Brian Gionta. The Habs will also hunt for a Top 4 defenceman to compliment PK Subban, Andrei Markov and Josh Gorges. The Canadiens also remain open-minded about trading the third overall pick, but it's unlikely they'll forfeit a chance to draft a Top 10 player.

The Ottawa Senators are a strict budget team, but they do have young assets to move, so if Sens owner Eugene Melnyk can be convinced to take on the money, it's possible they could take a run at Rick Nash.

It's a longshot, but not out of the question.

The Senators are more apt to move a goalie and will listen to offers on either Robin Lehner or Ben Bishop with draft picks as the likely return.

Winnipeg Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff is focused on his collection of pending restricted and unrestricted free agents. Of note, goaltender Ondrej Pavelec is considering interest from the KHL. Unless the soon-to-be restricted free agent gets a multi-year term at $4 million per year (or higher), there's a strong possibility Pavelec bolts for Russia.

Star forward Evander Kane is also scheduled to become a restricted free agent. Kane's future in Winnipeg is being openly questioned and some NHL teams believe he's in play. But both the Jets and Kane's representatives say he has not asked for a trade and there have been no trade discussions with teams who may have interest.

The Western Canadian teams will draw a ton of interest this week for different reasons.

All eyes are on the Edmonton Oilers and their first pick overall, while the speculation that continues to build in Vancouver in anticipation of a Roberto Luongo trade is heading towards a frenzy.

The Canucks, however, are still in listening mode - gathering information and say there's a good chance Luongo doesn't get moved this weekend. And regardless of Luongo's view of the situation, Vancouver remains very high on him as a star goalie and team leader.

As for rumblings of teams positioning to sign Cory Schneider to an offer sheet, Canucks GM Mike Gillis says "don't bother," The Canucks sit in a very good financial position and will match any rival hoping to poach Schneider. Gillis is less enthusiastic about the potential for trades this week and believes a more solid trade market will form later in the summer.

The Oilers remain focused on bolstering their blue line and would like to add two young, Top 4 defencemen this offseason. And the first pick overall is only in play for those teams willing to part with a top blueliner.

If the Nashville Predators re-sign Ryan Suter, can they afford to keep Suter, Shea Weber and Ryan Ellis long term? The Oilers would have keen interest in Ellis or Weber and will also be among the most aggressive clubs in pursuit of soon-to-be college free agent Justin Schultz.

Schultz will have multiple offers and will be able to choose where he intends to make his debut. However, Edmonton makes sense given the opportunity to grow with a talented young core while playing big minutes and in all key offensive situations.

The Oilers are also looking for help in goal, though with Nikolai Khabibulin under contract for another year, the need isn't as pressing as it is on defense.

The Calgary Flames have a new coaching staff and a willingness to consider all trade scenarios not including Jarome Iginla or Miikka Kiprusoff.

Like most teams, the Flames are looking for a Top 6 forward - ideally, a centre. Mikael Backlund and Jay Bouwmeester are among those the Flames would trade. But with two years remaining at a whopping $6.7 million per season, Bouwmeester is going to be a tough sell.

If the Flames intend to go the distance with experience, perhaps Jaromir Jagr will be of interest to play alongside fellow countryman Roman Cervenka.

Hey, in the offseason - anything is possible.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=398673

Gillis has made trades late in the summer.... HOWEVER, The Canucks would be smart to trade lui before/at the draft because until luongo is gone Schneider will be reluctant to sign. If schneids doesn't sign before july 1 because lui is not gone then teams like toronto will throw huge offer sheets which the Canucks may not feel comfortable matching.

Gillis has made trades late in the summer.... HOWEVER, The Canucks would be smart to trade lui before/at the draft because until luongo is gone Schneider will be reluctant to sign. If schneids doesn't sign before july 1 because lui is not gone then teams like toronto will throw huge offer sheets which the Canucks may not feel comfortable matching.

Teams haven't offer sheeted other team's RFA's lately. The last team to do it was the Canucks with David Backes and it was immediately matched and reciprocated with STL offer sheeting Bernier.

Even though I would love MG to offer sheet Weber I don't see it happening.

Its a no brainier that MG would match a Schneider offer sheet.

Teams haven't offer sheeted other team's RFA's lately. The last team to do it was the Canucks with David Backes and it was immediately matched and reciprocated with STL offer sheeting Bernier.

Even though I would love MG to offer sheet Weber I don't see it happening.

Its a no brainier that MG would match a Schneider offer sheet.

Maximum compensation for a successful offer sheet is 4 1st round picks. Imagine you had Edmonton's last 2 picks and their next 2 1st round picks. I hope Gillis would consider that kind of compensation for Schneider. Don't get me wrong, I think Schneider will be a great goalie, but Van could seriously restock the cupboard with 4 first round picks.

Maximum compensation for a successful offer sheet is 4 1st round picks. Imagine you had Edmonton's last 2 picks and their next 2 1st round picks. I hope Gillis would consider that kind of compensation for Schneider. Don't get me wrong, I think Schneider will be a great goalie, but Van could seriously restock the cupboard with 4 first round picks.

While we don't know what he's been privy to in terms of offers and given the CBA issues teams may be reluctant and less relucatant to bid for Lou (given the contract) once that's dealt with I have come to realize one thing about Gillis.

Simply, he's got too much of an ego to pull off a blockbuster. Not saying he needs too but anything involving Lou effectively is. He is scared to look bad in a 'big' deal and as a result continues to tinker, doddle about.

Reality is the BEST time to trade Lou is indeed at the draft if he's able to move our position higher, and his best leverage to do so is at that time. Its a decent top ten/fifteen draft year, we're not very strong in terms of our talent level in the minors and need some youth / draft picks back. You get a roster guy and a higher pick.

Even if he is going to trade Schnieds (which I doubt). The very best time would be the draft bc Edm would likely cough up first for him, and we know Columbus would give us number 2.

How this man can not make a trade of one of his goalies on draft day is really beyond me....its getting ridiculous.

We do have a window as much as people will or will not recognize it. I have been a fan for my entire 38 years. In that time, I have never seen a canucks team with such a level of talent throughout, and the ability to compete year after year. But, that window is closing, as the Sedins age, we really don't have any elite stars coming up, even someone with flashes yet. Yes perhaps Jensen may turn into something, but hey 35 goals and 70 pts would be great, and if he does that we'd all be happy, but thats 5 yrs out. Kassian same thing. Who's left after that? No one, and certainly no real 100 pt potential guys.

Therefore the time is now you need a roster player and a draft pick, make the deal that gets you over the top (ie Richards and Carter) and at the same time you need draft picks to restock the cupboards lest we turn into the leafs. Those deals happen at the draft, not after.

Time for Gillis to grow a pair.

Dumb to say that on Gillis' part... If somebody wants to handicap the Canucks financially and gillis ain't bluffing...then why not offersheet Schnieds to 7.5/year....

See; Doug Murray and his offersheet on Hjarmalsson, only to screw the hawks capwise, so that they could poach Niemi

Archived