The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks will match any offer sheets to Schnieder

Bieksallent_Canuck

Those picks would be for *next* year, right?

Chances are, that with the improved results a team would get with the addition of Schneider, it might mean that even a bottom feeder team (eg. CBJ) could wind up in the middle of the pack.

And as has been noted, what if a contending team makes a play for Schneider? The Canucks could get a pick like the 30th overall. This is far less useful than either keeping Schneider (assuming he can be persuaded to stay), or trading him for known quantities, which would likely have a far greater value than a couple of picks.

regards,

G.

Speculation - Gillis has been negotiating with Schneider and his very reasonable agent Mike Liut - I'd guess they have already worked out a deal (4yrs/15 millionish), but it would be imprudent and terrible timing to announce it. Let the bidding for Luongo process play out, and then announce the Schneider deal. It doesn't strike me as signature Gillis to announce something like offer-sheeting Schneider would be a waste of time and I am guessing there is a reason for that - he has already assured Schneider that he is the man, and they have just agreed not to announced the ink yet. Gillis is getting multiple offers for Roberto and likely getting closer to what he expects in return. Yabadabadoo!

Speculation - Gillis has been negotiating with Schneider and his very reasonable agent Mike Liut - I'd guess they have already worked out a deal (4yrs/15 millionish), but it would be imprudent and terrible timing to announce it. Let the bidding for Luongo process play out, and then announce the Schneider deal. It doesn't strike me as signature Gillis to announce something like offer-sheeting Schneider would be a waste of time and I am guessing there is a reason for that - he has already assured Schneider that he is the man, and they have just agreed not to announced the ink yet. Gillis is getting multiple offers for Roberto and likely getting closer to what he expects in return. Yabadabadoo!

I have a hard time believing that Schneider would sign an offer sheet knowing that MG is actively shopping Luongo. Would Schneider try to screw us over and sign a deal that wouldn't work for the club? I hope not; I personally would lose respect for him. If its August and Luongo is still not traded then I wouldn't blame him at all but not the first two weeks in July; that just screams selfishness.

I know it will be unlikely/impossible - but how about a blockbuster trade with the Flames. Roberto and Kesler packaged for Iggy and Kiprusoff?? Ofcourse, picks and some other players would help package this nicely.

Boy, I d be following both teams all season :bigblush:

I know it will be unlikely/impossible - but how about a blockbuster trade with the Flames. Roberto and Kesler packaged for Iggy and Kiprusoff?? Ofcourse, picks and some other players would help package this nicely.

Boy, I d be following both teams all season :bigblush:

Dumb to say that on Gillis' part... If somebody wants to handicap the Canucks financially and gillis ain't bluffing...then why not offersheet Schnieds to 7.5/year....

See; Doug Murray and his offersheet on Hjarmalsson, only to screw the hawks capwise, so that they could poach Niemi

It was $50M over 7 years and it would have meant the 1st rounder from the Oilers in 2008,2009,2010,2011. All things being equal that would mean trading Vanek for Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson, Hall and Nugent-Hopkins. It is a very sore spot as a Sabres fan even though Vanek is a very good player. Imagine having those four with the core the Sabres already have?

Archived