Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Rumour] MG Still Looking For A Hockey Trade Regarding Luongo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#31 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

@RealKyper: #Canucks telling few #NHL interested teams they have multi offers on Luongo. Gillis still looking for a hockey trade rather than dump salary

Didn't know where to put this sorry

Im all for the salary dump
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#32 bleednucksblue

bleednucksblue

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

I don't understand all the people that rip Luke Schenn. The kid was rushed to the NHL on a terrible hockey team and was expected to be the savior of a team that's years away from being good enough to contend. He's 22, plays a physical style, and had put up decent point numbers for a guy most consider to have limited offensive potential. To me a deal that would bring back Schenn, a still developing young defenseman with loads of upside still who is likely to improve on a better team with better personnel around him, would be one that would help this team both now and in the future.

I wonder how many people ripping Schenn were the ones clamoring for Mitchell because he plays a safe, physical, strong defensive type game.

You will always be on our mind and in our heart. RIP Luc!

John Garrett after a brutal pass by Olli Jokinen:

"Jokinen makes a pass 8 feet behind anybody, to no-one. That's Calgary's first line, unfortunately for them."

#33 winthecup

winthecup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

its a good thing Gillis is the general manager and not you.

#34 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

I just hate Nick Kypreos.

Hey man, Kipper played in the NHL you know!

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#35 2009cupchamps

2009cupchamps

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

Schnieder is a RFA so that buys us another year, If GMMG does not get what we wants then he will not trade LU, then at the trade deadline when teams like Toronto is struggling to stay in the playoff picture or get in it, then the price would be alot higher for Luongo or Schnieder depending on who we trade.

#36 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,279 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

Teams will start to panic as the new season approaches and Gillis will sit their patiently holding the upperhand until one of them caves.

Yep... and the Toronto media guys like Kipper maybe are starting to come around and starting to realize that they aren't doing us a favour by taking Luongo for free...
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#37 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,065 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

Not only that, but a chance for the team to win the cup

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#38 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

That guy is a total goofball!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

Surprised to see multiple teams interested.

Let me guess:

Chicago
New Jersey
Toronto
San Jose
Florida
Tampa Bay
Philadelphia
Posted Image

#40 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

even a salary dump could make this team better. 5.333 mill in cap goes a long way in signing a big name free agent.
Posted Image

#41 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,279 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

even a salary dump could make this team better. 5.333 mill in cap goes a long way in signing a big name free agent.

We have plenty of cap space to sign anyone we want, we can go 10% over the cap.

If it came to a point where we signed Weber and Suter and we had to shed salary, then maybe we consider ditching Luongo for cap space... until that happens there is literally no point in moving him for nothing.

The more likely scenario is that we don't spend right to the cap this year anyways to ensure we have space for next summer when there are actually free agents to be had plus we have to extend Burrows and Edler.

For now... Luongo and Schneider tandem win us more games than having a minimum wage backup.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#42 pghockeyguy

pghockeyguy

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

All you Lou lovers are radicoulous if he was worth something significant then someone would offer something significant. His skill level, compete level and overall abilities are depleating yearly. The best thing that can come of this is that we dont have to pay him to be mediocre the next 6 years. So if it's salary dump its a salary dump. I'm not sure you noticed or not but we didn't make it out of the first round this year and we need some pieces and paying our goalies 9 mill combined is going to handcuff us. We need to trade Lou now before he has a terrible year splitting time 50/50 with schnieder and his value depleats even more.

#43 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

All you Lou lovers are radicoulous if he was worth something significant then someone would offer something significant. His skill level, compete level and overall abilities are depleating yearly. The best thing that can come of this is that we dont have to pay him to be mediocre the next 6 years. So if it's salary dump its a salary dump. I'm not sure you noticed or not but we didn't make it out of the first round this year and we need some pieces and paying our goalies 9 mill combined is going to handcuff us. We need to trade Lou now before he has a terrible year splitting time 50/50 with schnieder and his value depleats even more.

Have you ever tried to negotiate for a car before? Both sides try to get the best value. Of course other teams will try to give low offers.

#44 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,811 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

I don't believe anything Kypreos says!
Obviously MG is not just looking for a cap dump, Kypreos is full of crap he even said that Luongo would never win the cup once.

HEY Shut upKypreos was an all star in the AHL
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#45 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 20,203 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

for the Rangers - I don't pay much attention to him - never strikes me as particularly incisive.

oh, but thanks for the breaking news - Gillis, who has had multiple offers, isn't looking to dump Luongo - actually wants a fair return. What a radical concept.

Edited by oldnews, 19 June 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#46 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

In 2013.

#47 CoreyPerry

CoreyPerry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

Connauton > Tanev, also with kesler out with injury till jan/feb u really want to thin out our centre position? for an way too overpaid 3rd line C....no way and if u want dubinsky he can be had for way less (picks), sather is getting rid of dubinsky contract to make an aggressive run for Nash

I could see Gillis trading some prospects for a player like Dubinsky, then using Luo either later this year or by the trade deadline next year to restock the cabinet a bit. Maybe like Schroeder and Connauton for Dubinsky, then trading Luo to team that is contending for the playoffs despite goalie issues. I think that would be the way to play the market right now.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to CanucksBen for Kassian sig

#48 Gady

Gady

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

our powerforward position is pretty thin with kelser out.

did you just call Kesler a "power forward"? :shock:
Love your enemies - it will drive them crazy ...

#49 CanucksWino

CanucksWino

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

Interesting to note that Laurence Gilman was on CKNW last night with Pratt, and said that Lou has not given the Nucks any kind of list - hmmmm. Wonder if CBJ is an option after all...

#50 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

Interesting to note that Laurence Gilman was on CKNW last night with Pratt, and said that Lou has not given the Nucks any kind of list - hmmmm. Wonder if CBJ is an option after all...

OR maybe we aren't trading him, or maybe he just hasn't decided yet...

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#51 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

Schnieder is a RFA so that buys us another year, If GMMG does not get what we wants then he will not trade LU, then at the trade deadline when teams like Toronto is struggling to stay in the playoff picture or get in it, then the price would be alot higher for Luongo or Schnieder depending on who we trade.

Wasn't that what we were hoping for the past 2 years? And yet nothing happened...

Trade a goalie now in the offseason, or else we'll never end up trading one.

Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

#52 Li'l Fra

Li'l Fra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

This goalie thing is going to poison the team.

We have a couple great goalie prospects. It is time to rectify this situation one way or the other.

Vancouver is holding all the cards.

You want a goalie? Let's talk.

#53 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

I don't understand all the people that rip Luke Schenn. The kid was rushed to the NHL on a terrible hockey team and was expected to be the savior of a team that's years away from being good enough to contend. He's 22, plays a physical style, and had put up decent point numbers for a guy most consider to have limited offensive potential. To me a deal that would bring back Schenn, a still developing young defenseman with loads of upside still who is likely to improve on a better team with better personnel around him, would be one that would help this team both now and in the future.

I wonder how many people ripping Schenn were the ones clamoring for Mitchell because he plays a safe, physical, strong defensive type game.

I don't have a problem with Schenn coming back in a deal but he has to be part of a package. His offence is not critical to the deal. Put him with Edler and hopefully he can focus on the d-side of the equation. He plays a pretty consistant physical game which Van is in desperate need of. The real question is whether a UFA right side dman is a better option for a CUP contending team.

#54 winthecup

winthecup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

Damien Cox@DamoSpin

Next funniest suggestion is Gardiner in a package for Luongo. There is no market for this goalie. No reason to pay a heavy price.

https://twitter.com/#!/DamoSpin

#55 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

Damien Cox@DamoSpin

The Toronto media are idiots. Theres a reason theyre known as the center of the universe, its because everything and everyone revolves around them....

couldnt give two fracks what any of them have to say.... with the exception of a few of the TSN pannel.

#56 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 20,203 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

The Toronto media are idiots. Theres a reason theyre known as the center of the universe, its because everything and everyone revolves around them....

couldnt give two fracks what any of them have to say.... with the exception of a few of the TSN pannel.

agreed. a gaggle of halfwits. TSN has a few guys I don't mind Lebrun, Ferraro - but the Toronto lobby is pathetic.

#57 winthecup

winthecup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

http://www.montrealg...9263/story.html

VANCOUVER - The temperature changed a little last week for the Vancouver Canucks when they filed to arbitrate against winger Mason Raymond. The environment may be dramatically altered this week as general manager Mike Gillis tries to trade goalie Roberto Luongo.

Gillis confirmed before travelling for National Hockey League meetings on Tuesday that he is talking to teams about his goalie.

"There are lots of teams interested," Gillis said. "There's a limited number of proven No. 1 goaltenders in the world. Roberto is, without a doubt, a proven No. 1 all-star goalie."

The Canucks manager insisted there is no urgency to make a deal this weekend at the draft in Pittsburgh and Gillis said he remains comfortable with the possibility that both Luongo and Cory Schneider, who became the Canucks' starter during April's first-round playoff loss to the Los Angeles Kings, will be in Vancouver next season.

Neither goalie, however, would be comfortable with that scenario and it is in no one's interest to have two No. 1s and nearly $10 million US committed to goalies when one of them will be on the bench each night.

"We're still in the position to explore all of our options . . . and I'm doing that without a timeline," Gillis said. "I have no timetable at all. In some ways, I feel the draft in situations like this is an artificial timeline."

Perhaps. But July 1 is a genuine, albeit soft, deadline because on that day other NHL teams can attempt to pilfer Schneider, one of the best young goalies in hockey, with predatory offers to the restricted free agent.

The re-signing of Schneider and trade of Luongo seem mutually exclusive issues but are not.

The Canucks would like the certainty of a Schneider contract before trading Luongo. But Schneider, aware that the keys to the kingdom could soon be his, isn't expected to rush into a deal until he knows what is happening with Luongo, who has 10 years and $53 million US of salary-cap space remaining on his contract. Even as a restricted free agent, Schneider has tremendous leverage.

The unusual situation has the makings of a standoff.

The Canucks, who made a frosty, precedent-setting decision last week to try to force a pay cut upon Raymond, are expected also to file for arbitration against Schneider as a defensive move to protect their asset. But because Schneider made only $900,000 US this season, the Canucks can't do that until July 5, creating a brief free-agency window for rival teams to pitch offers at the 26-year-old. Vancouver has the right to match offers.

Is Gillis worried?

"No, we have lots of cap space," he said.

But the Canucks could be forced to pay Schneider more by matching another team's contract than by negotiating their own.

"You could, yeah," Gillis said. "An offer sheet is a risky proposition."

Gillis' challenge is to not merely shed Luongo's contract, which calls for $40.28 million over the next six years, but to make a trade that actually fetches the Canucks something besides another team's bad contract.

He is emphatic that there is a market for a huge contract attached to a 33-year-old goalie.

"I know there's a market, for sure," Gillis said. "His cap hit is $5.3 million. Marty Brodeur just got to the final (at age 40). Goaltenders are a different animal when it comes to contract evaluation. If they're smart enough and technically sound enough, they can play for a long, long time.

"Roberto has impressed me from the moment I met him. Regardless of how well he plays, there's this notion that no matter how good it is, it isn't good enough. And it's baffling to me because I think the guy is just an outstanding player who's an outstanding person."

But Schneider is younger, cheaper, technically superior and could be even better than Luongo, who handled his playoff demotion with admirable professionalism and said after the season that he wouldn't force the Canucks to keep him. That doesn't mean he's waiving his no-trade clause to go to the Columbus Blue Jackets. The Toronto Maple Leafs remain the most logical destination for him.

Gillis must work with Luongo and agent Gilles Lupien to make a deal happen.

J.P. Barry, the agent for Raymond, had hoped the Canucks might also work with his client rather than adopt a confrontational approach that seems at odds with Gillis' commitment to making Vancouver the most player-supportive environment in the NHL.

Returning from fractured vertebrae and soft-tissue damage suffered in last June's Stanley Cup final loss to the Boston Bruins, Raymond had only 10 goals and 20 points in 55 games this season. The Canucks want to reduce his current $2.6-million US salary by $390,000 - the 15 per cent maximum cut allowed under the collective bargaining agreement.

"To be fair, they talked to us for about a week before they filed so it wasn't a surprise," Barry said. "Mason wants to have a better year and he's not terribly concerned about playing for a little less. The concern, more than just the money, is whether this is symbolic of a lesser role or opportunity on the team. That's obviously something that's very important from our side."

Rather than grant Raymond unrestricted free agency by not tendering the 26-year-old a qualifying offer, the Canucks' decision to arbitrate means the winger will be back after being told he's not worth $2.6 million per season.

"This isn't about the money," Gillis said. "I wasn't satisfied with the end of the season and our meeting at the end of the season, and felt we needed to do more to motivate him to be a really good player. This is another tool to send the message that we expect better performance.

"I like Mason. I like him as a person. It doesn't mean we've changed our feelings about Mason. It means we have high expectations and we want them fulfilled."

Gillis has equally high expectations about the trade of Luongo.

Vancouver Sun

imacintyre@vancouversun.com

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz1yJDCydLU

#58 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

Teams will start to panic as the new season approaches and Gillis will sit their patiently holding the upperhand until one of them caves.

Thats best case scenario, Or they just move on to other options
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#59 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:54 PM

There idiots because your not happy that he said there is no market for him ?
He could be right , There might be some tire kickers and maybe the leafs who are the only ones with some serious interest .
And there really is no chance we are going to get a another teams top prospect for Luongo .
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#60 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 20,203 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

Damien Cox@DamoSpin

Next funniest suggestion is Gardiner in a package for Luongo. There is no market for this goalie. No reason to pay a heavy price

Cox is deluded if that quote was his. What is really amusing is how carried away Toronto has gotten with the notion that Gardner is an untouchable - they are so desperate for a young saviour that they have prematurely written a fairy tale of a story regarding the kid. Eklund is speculating that Toronto will send him to Edmonton for the first overall. Ridiculous stuff. I think they should cut to the chase and send him one for one to Nashville for Weber.

Toronto either pays (and Gardner is not enough) for Luongo, or best of luck with their search. Let's get real - If the Canucks were going to gift a team/dump Luongo's salary the recipient would sure as hell not be Toronto. Dale Tallon has so much more to "lowball" with...

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.