The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Edler Appreciation

AlexanderEdler

He will never be a Norris Trophy Nominee, when was the last time was an inconsistent defensive liability, who never takes interviews a Norris Nominee? He may be an all star once or twice again, but definitely not a Norris Nominee

On topic, count me as one of Edler's greatest appreciators. He's the entire package, which is all the more impressive when you consider he was a little known mid round draft pick. All he has to do is put it all together and play a consistent game, which he is slowly starting to do. He's shown the offense, he's shown the defense, he's shown the physicality. He's shown the ability to fire outlet passes and quarterback the powerplay. All that's left for him to do is do all that fairly consistently. The sad thing is, when he does that he'll still have his detractors who will complain that he's not playing at an all star level every frigging game.

The guy is a keeper and I hope he's signed to a 5 year extension. He's THE cornerstone of the Canucks' defense, just some people have yet to realize it.

Although Eddie may not be a Norris d-man at the moment, he is definitely top four worthy. Despite his bad plays near the end of the reg. season and in the playoffs, all he needs is confidence and a good shutdown top four d-man to pair up with. Confidence is key to all of Edler's plays and the shutdown d-man will allow Edler to move up with the offense, pinch and provide that offense we need from this offensive d-man and hopefully fill up some of the gaps that Erhoff used to do.

first- edler is still young for a dman. he just turned 26. he has all the skills - he just needs to be consistent. Lidstrom was 26 when he 1st became all star.

2nd- it takes time to be a consistent dman. Lidstrom was 31 when he received his first Norris.

3rd- edler is more physical than Lidstrom.

so what i'm really trying to say is Edler is a keeper. he has the skills. he's got great attitude. he has the size. and he has the smarts. I think he will eventually get there - he'll be one of the top dmen in the league. barring any major issues- i think that the club will keep him. he's a home-grown talent. and knowing that he looks up to the sedins - he will probably also take a discount to stay as a canuck.

first- edler is still young for a dman. he just turned 26. he has all the skills - he just needs to be consistent. Lidstrom was 26 when he 1st became all star.

2nd- it takes time to be a consistent dman. Lidstrom was 31 when he received his first Norris.

3rd- edler is more physical than Lidstrom.

so what i'm really trying to say is Edler is a keeper. he has the skills. he's got great attitude. he has the size. and he has the smarts. I think he will eventually get there - he'll be one of the top dmen in the league. barring any major issues- i think that the club will keep him. he's a home-grown talent. and knowing that he looks up to the sedins - he will probably also take a discount to stay as a canuck.

Edler has been a great Canuck, he stepped onto the ice, looking like a seasoned veteran. My only criticism is his lack of aim on his amazing shot and his unlucky feet in the crease. I honestly think he should work with the goalie coach on his positioning in front of the net and how to angle and place his feet. I find it funny how many fans will "hate" a D-man for making some mistakes. It happens, get over it. How many fans wanted Willie Mitchell out of town, now he has a cup ring and a big contribution in the playoffs to show for it.

Archived