Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Alex Edler Appreciation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#31 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

He doesn't deserve to be appreciated, i hope we can get a 3rd for his ufa rights next year.

I am starting to think you were bragging when you posted your IQ score in your username.

Edited by GradinToSmyl, 18 June 2012 - 10:30 PM.

After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#32 CaNuCkSLoUiE23

CaNuCkSLoUiE23

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

He's been my favourite Canuck for the past few years. Even though he had a rough post season, he can bounce back. I believe in you Alex :towel:

#33 tereKat

tereKat

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:36 AM

first- edler is still young for a dman. he just turned 26. he has all the skills - he just needs to be consistent. Lidstrom was 26 when he 1st became all star.
2nd- it takes time to be a consistent dman. Lidstrom was 31 when he received his first Norris.
3rd- edler is more physical than Lidstrom.

so what i'm really trying to say is Edler is a keeper. he has the skills. he's got great attitude. he has the size. and he has the smarts. I think he will eventually get there - he'll be one of the top dmen in the league. barring any major issues- i think that the club will keep him. he's a home-grown talent. and knowing that he looks up to the sedins - he will probably also take a discount to stay as a canuck.

#34 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:40 AM

first- edler is still young for a dman. he just turned 26. he has all the skills - he just needs to be consistent. Lidstrom was 26 when he 1st became all star.
2nd- it takes time to be a consistent dman. Lidstrom was 31 when he received his first Norris.
3rd- edler is more physical than Lidstrom.

so what i'm really trying to say is Edler is a keeper. he has the skills. he's got great attitude. he has the size. and he has the smarts. I think he will eventually get there - he'll be one of the top dmen in the league. barring any major issues- i think that the club will keep him. he's a home-grown talent. and knowing that he looks up to the sedins - he will probably also take a discount to stay as a canuck.

But lets not compare him to Lidstrom. That's unfair to Alex.
Posted Image

#35 BRAVEMAN91

BRAVEMAN91

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:59 AM

Like Edler when he is on his game.. But he has got to do something about his stupid drop pass. That was so well scouted by the kings and the thing is, he never learned from it.
Posted Image

Follow Me on Twitter: @braveman91
Checkout my Canuck videos on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/braveman91

#36 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:35 AM

Fixed.

Awesome! :D

#37 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:49 AM

I appreciate Alex Edler too!!! I want him to hit like he does at the start of the playoffs but like that throughout the whole season, plus put up his points. A lot too ask, I don't think so. Edler is the man!!! One day people here will look at him like they do Ohlund and that is with deserved respect.

#38 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

Edler has been a great Canuck, he stepped onto the ice, looking like a seasoned veteran. My only criticism is his lack of aim on his amazing shot and his unlucky feet in the crease. I honestly think he should work with the goalie coach on his positioning in front of the net and how to angle and place his feet. I find it funny how many fans will "hate" a D-man for making some mistakes. It happens, get over it. How many fans wanted Willie Mitchell out of town, now he has a cup ring and a big contribution in the playoffs to show for it.

#39 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

I appreciate how he and Hamhuis almost singlehandedly gifted the Kings the series.

Sig too big. 

#40 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

Like Edler when he is on his game.. But he has got to do something about his stupid drop pass. That was so well scouted by the kings and the thing is, he never learned from it.

I think that's more on Newell Brown and his running of the powerplay. Edler is blameable because he didn't learn from his mistakes but Brown should've done more for our pp to try and revive it.

#41 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

Edler has been a great Canuck, he stepped onto the ice, looking like a seasoned veteran. My only criticism is his lack of aim on his amazing shot and his unlucky feet in the crease. I honestly think he should work with the goalie coach on his positioning in front of the net and how to angle and place his feet. I find it funny how many fans will "hate" a D-man for making some mistakes. It happens, get over it. How many fans wanted Willie Mitchell out of town, now he has a cup ring and a big contribution in the playoffs to show for it.

This is a really good point. I bet a lot of you were trashing Mitchell after the series against the Blackhawks in 09. I doubt anyone's trashing him now. Point is, don't jump to conclusions. Stop getting on player's behinds so quickly. You've all seen the talent. You know it's there. Let's just hope he signs fairly long term so we can see him continue to develop into a consistent #1 defenseman for this team. It will happen but it takes time, folks.

#42 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

Edler Norris trophy nominee next year. Mark my words!

You are probably one of the guys touting him earlier this year, too. I have a lot less appreciation for Edler than I did last year at this time.

Edited by dorrcoq, 19 June 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#43 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

I have to leave because i'm being realistic and am not a homer?

You'll have to forgive these people they seem to have something against Trolls. :bigblush:

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#44 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

Other than the playoffs where he seemed to choke, Edler had an amazing year. I think he needs to work on being consistent and he will be the Canucks top (or second best) defenceman for a long time.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#45 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

Edler has all the tools...size, good wheels, big shot, big hits, overall decent set of skills. I'm sure that is why we have such high expectations out of him.

Hopefully he recovers from his hand injury so that he can make crisp passes, handle puck the puck better, and unleash big shots next season. Tough to play the game with a bad claw, so I'm one to give him the benefit of the doubt. Healthy, I expect Edler to be one of the top 10 D-men in the NHL.

#46 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:02 PM

We should all pool $1 to $10 each and give it to Edler so he signs for less and we can save some cap space money =) I'm sure Aquilini will put on some crazy event for us all with the saved cash =)

Or someone trustworthy can set up some account that people can donate to, and whenever any players go out to eat or buy something relatively small, the business can just give it to them for free and then get reimbursed from the account. The person/people in charge could set limits to how much each player gets per year depending on the contract discount they took =)

Or what management should do is offer them less money, but then offer the player that Aquillini will donate money in their name to the charity of choice (taking into account the tax benefits that the player would have received of course) =)

The millions of dollars that the Sedins donated could really have helped in relation to the salary cap.

Give me a job Canucks... I have plenty of ideas to push the grey areas to save us some cash (WILL WORK FOR FREE FOR THE FIRST 3 MONTHS). I have my Bachelors in Business, so I am not a complete idiot.

:)

p.s. I am sure that the Canucks organization could afford to hire a few people that are in charge of coming up with new and innovative things that would make the players' time here in Vancouver that much better. Also, I am pretty sure that tonnes of volunteers would be willing to offer there services to benefit the team.

Edited by HockeyHobo73, 19 June 2012 - 11:04 PM.

#47 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:12 PM

I heard he's going to sign with MODO

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#48 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:41 PM

The guy single handedly lost us the Kings series.

Posted Image

#49 SpursCanuck

SpursCanuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:48 PM

On his game, there is nobody better in the Canucks D but his lapses in concentration are crazy !!!
Posted Image

#50 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

The guy single handedly lost us the Kings series.

cmon man :huh: really ? We were doomed the day that basurd Kieth smashed Daniel . The whole team was a deer in the headlights for the rest of the year . Edler is learning as is everyone on the team.

Edited by vanfan73, 19 June 2012 - 11:54 PM.

1987.jpg

On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami :ph34r:

#51 CaNuCkSLoUiE23

CaNuCkSLoUiE23

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:54 AM

I heard he's going to sign with MODO

O rly?

#52 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

I have to leave because i'm being realistic and am not a homer?

You have to leave because you are a tool with weak game for a troll.

#53 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

He will never be a Norris Trophy Nominee, when was the last time was an inconsistent defensive liability, who never takes interviews a Norris Nominee? He may be an all star once or twice again, but definitely not a Norris Nominee

Edited by Henrik Sedin, 20 June 2012 - 07:55 AM.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.