Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Ryan Parent

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Poll: Ryan Parent (138 member(s) have cast votes)

Will Ryan Parent ever play for the Canucks?

1. Yes, eventually- some defenseman take longer to develop than others (34 votes [24.64%])

Percentage of vote: 24.64%

2. No- strictly just a depth player (104 votes [75.36%])

Percentage of vote: 75.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 VANFAN101

VANFAN101

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:06 PM

Haven't heard about this guy in a while. What is your guys take on him? I remember when we got him, he played a couple game earlier on, but the main idea was that he was gonna be used for depth, and then got sent down to the ahl. This guy was drafted 18th overall in the 05 draft (ahead of Letang and Yandle), he also won gold for canada at the 06 and 07 wjhc. Did this guy just not live up to his potential or, is he not capable of competing at the nhl level?

#2 VANFAN101

VANFAN101

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

to be more specific about the first option of the poll, will he be a regular in the line-up

#3 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,322 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

to be more specific about the first option of the poll, will he be a regular in the line-up

It's a Baumgartner type question: will he or will he NOT play ever again for the Canucks?
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#4 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

Haven't heard about this guy in a while. What is your guys take on him? I remember when we got him, he played a couple game earlier on, but the main idea was that he was gonna be used for depth, and then got sent down to the ahl. This guy was drafted 18th overall in the 05 draft (ahead of Letang and Yandle), he also won gold for canada at the 06 and 07 wjhc. Did this guy just not live up to his potential or, is he not capable of competing at the nhl level?

He was also drafted after Zagrapan, Pokulok and Bourret. It's just evidence that the draft can be a bit of a crap shoot sometimes.
Posted Image

#5 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

No. There's nothing he can really offer. We have 6 d-men signed already, plus Salo and Gragnani who will likely re-sign (dunno about Rome). Even if injuries occur, the Canucks would probably bring up someone like Sauve or Connaution who has more upside. Which would put him what... 11th or 12th on the depth chart depending on if we acquire another d-man and who we re-sign? There's not really any reason for the Canucks to sign him.

abl8vt.jpg

#6 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

Parent has fallen severely down the depth chart. Simply his game isn't good enough. He might be a late bloomer, but I haven't seen any progress; seems like a bust.

#7 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

Nope, and for good reason. He sucks.
Posted Image

#8 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

im going to bed meow

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#9 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Parent might not ever be a depth defenseman. His AHL totals aren't good and when you can't produce at that level and your a prospect, you're pretty much a bust. A failed experiment.

#10 meh_wassup

meh_wassup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

who?

NAH, I'm only kiddin' ya... but let's get real, Mr. Parent will step no where near the canucks lineup (and that's strictly because of his authoritative last name)

Charlotte-McKinney-21-155x160.jpg

#11 VANFAN101

VANFAN101

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

This place really is the endless source of pointless garbage the rest of the hockey world says it is. A Ryan Parent thread? Wow.

pointless garbage? ryan parent is worth more than that, surely?

#12 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

He played for the flyers in their run to the cup he's a pretty good player

#13 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

He was outplayed on the Wolves by the Canucks' younger D, like Sauve, Connauton and Polasek. I think this is where the Canucks and Parent will just part ways. I don't even think there's a chance the Wolves sign him to an AHL contract. Some other NHL team will take a chance on him, though.

#14 micgao

micgao

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:54 PM

At least it's not a Luongo/Schneider thread.
Posted Image

#15 Cannucker

Cannucker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

He played for the flyers in their run to the cup he's a pretty good player

He played horrible for them and was taken out of the lineup I think after game 3, a game in which he had less then 2 minutes of ice time.

#16 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:02 PM

He played horrible for them and was taken out of the lineup I think after game 3, a game in which he had less then 2 minutes of ice time.

I didn't know

#17 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,853 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

I see him as a depth player, couldn't hurt to sign him for the minors, I dotn see him making the team unless he really steps it up, but he is a darkhorse, and could turn out to be a surprise if he has a good camp.

He still is young at 25, I'd like to still get a good look at him before we call a close on the door with him. Considering that he started to play good in the last 10 games with the Wolves, hes bound to be given a second look.

2moy3iq.png

#18 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:40 PM

Parent has fallen severely down the depth chart. Simply his game isn't good enough. He might be a late bloomer, but I haven't seen any progress; seems like a bust.

Late -- yes. Bloomer -- no. The Canucks picked him up in return for Shane O'Brien but were really just trying to give O'Brien away. Parent can be a helpful guy on an AHL team, but that seems to be his ceiling.

#19 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

Fringe player at best. Lets be honest, if you haven't made the NHL by your mid 20's as a regular, he is that age as of right now, then your chances of ever doing so are nearly shot.
Posted Image

#20 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:43 PM

we shouldve kept O'Brien
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#21 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,041 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:06 AM

The exception to Nashville's defenceman factory.

Weird that such a high draft pick and team Canada star would have this much trouble making the NHL, if only as a 7th or 8th defenceman.

Oh well.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#22 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:09 AM

Possibly, but if he was to make it as a regular, he should have done it by now.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#23 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:39 AM

I thought a contributiong factor to his situation is the number of games he's already logged in the NHL (106). He couldn't be brought up because he'd have to clear waivers, which he wouldn't. Even two years ago, he couldn't necessarily be used when the team's d-man situation was so difficult because they knew at some point someone else was coming back from injury and with limited space on the cap he couldn't just be left to sit in the pressbox.

I wouldn't be suprised if Gillis added him to a package deal, or allows him to try the field and see what he can get.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#24 i4i™

i4i™

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:49 AM

im going to bed meow

You've got to be kitten me!

Posted Image

Sig made by allons-y. Concept by canuckforever00.

Thanks guys.

#25 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:27 AM

He has been one of the stand out players in the games I saw him play in Chicago. I see he has put on 7 lbs and is now quoted at 205 lbs. I would bring him up and give him a chance based on his pedigree alone.

Also I think we should give Mancari another look, he was head and shoulders above everyone at Wolves apart from Haydar and Reinprecht (when he settled in) Mancari has a real hockey brain and he didn't look slow when he came up last season, only lacking in stamina like Bitz.
Kevin.jpg

#26 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,108 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:09 AM

I didn't know

So you said he's a good player but you didn't know he played 2 mins in a game?? How's that work?

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#27 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,896 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:06 AM

Gollumpus had it right, if he does not make the team out of training camp, he's not going to be brought up. Has to clear waivers where Sauve, Tanev, Connauton do not. He not only did not make the main roster,

He did not beat out Alberts or Sulzer for the spot in the press box available for guys like him.

#28 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,630 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

He will be a regular in the lineup.... in the pre season

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#29 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

He was one of our RFA's, can anyone confirm whether he received a QO or not?

If he didn't, he is no longer part of our organization
Sig too big.

#30 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

Don't think so, he's probably a bust. He hasn't shown much promise in the pro ranks and the Canucks have a lot of defensemen ahead of him on the depth chart. Wish we could have been a bit more patient with the O'Brien trade and picked up more in return instead of just trying to get rid of him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.