The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Joy of S.................

Bodee

................passing!

Other than on PP I don't think our team passes enough. We have the Sedins of course who need no teaching in this respect but oh how I would like the rest of our team to discover a solid 5 on 5 passing game all the way down the lines.

Is this possible to do with the players we have?

Here is a little passing treat for all of you out there. It should be pointed out that while I find the passing in this video commendable I equate it more to Sedin type passing while I am really talking more about breakout early passing as has been used to great effect by teams like the Kings in the playoffs.

It's not just passing, its working as a unit. Higgins, Kesler and Booth need more time together to gel and build chemistry, AV has to stop yanking Higgins off and putting him on our 3rd line, but if Raymond's returning it looks like this cycle is going to continue.

This reminds me of that Henrik in a shoot-out narrative:

Henrik getting the shoot out explained to him by Daniel:

Dank: You shoot it.

Hank: I pass?

Dank: No shoot.

Hank: OK I pass.

Dank: No, it's just you out there. You and the goalie.

Hank: I pass to goalie?

Except the video does not depict National Hockey League defenders in the modern era. And even if it does happen, it's 1 out of a million plays. Most of the time they lose the puck and it goes the other way.

The kings had a great team, and had some elite players, but they were not the absolute top players and deke masters (except maybe Kopitar). They won and dominated the playoffs because their system and desperate work effort were 2nd to none. If the finals Boston and then against the Kings should have taught us anything, it's that one - we need a better system, and two, we need to make better adjustments.

When our pretty passing plays weren't penetrating the defense (because they always had the points covered, and had their forwards behind the puck for outlets), we couldn't adjust and get through, and our defense wasn't the same suffocating style either.

Last year, our absolute strength started with a mobile defence crew, who got to the puck first, and pushed it up ice before any pressure, or the trap could be set up!

It did not to matter so much that we were under sized. We were never under pressure!

................passing!

Other than on PP I don't think our team passes enough. We have the Sedins of course who need no teaching in this respect but oh how I would like the rest of our team to discover a solid 5 on 5 passing game all the way down the lines.

Is this possible to do with the players we have?

Here is a little passing treat for all of you out there. It should be pointed out that while I find the passing in this video commendable I equate it more to Sedin type passing while I am really talking more about breakout early passing as has been used to great effect by teams like the Kings in the playoffs.

i think the biggest problem is our second line scoring and consistency. they seem like their problem is not just passing to each other, it's that their strategy is to skate really fast into the opponents zone... then what? has kesler (the 2nd line captain) forgotten (or the coaching staff) to think about what to do once they are in the opponents zone because they seem lost? the sedin line is awesomely consistent so there are no worries there, they cycle like no line in history ever has, our third line even sets up pretty well (thanks to higgins), 4th line crash and bangs like they should... our 2nd line skates super fast down the ice, loses the puck in two seconds once in the offensive zone, and then back checks (well, at least Kesler used to back check). Passing? sure! Using their hockey sense a little more? Definitely!!!

i think the biggest problem is our second line scoring and consistency. they seem like their problem is not just passing to each other, it's that their strategy is to skate really fast into the opponents zone... then what? has kesler (the 2nd line captain) forgotten (or the coaching staff) to think about what to do once they are in the opponents zone because they seem lost? the sedin line is awesomely consistent so there are no worries there, they cycle like no line in history ever has, our third line even sets up pretty well (thanks to higgins), 4th line crash and bangs like they should... our 2nd line skates super fast down the ice, loses the puck in two seconds once in the offensive zone, and then back checks (well, at least Kesler used to back check). Passing? sure! Using their hockey sense a little more? Definitely!!!

I think our players pass too much. They wait too long to shoot on net, and lose the element of surprise. When they do shoot, they are too one dimensional, and fail to bury sure chances, or fail to challenge the opposing goaltender's skill level.

As much as games are won and lost by the "D" and the goaltenders, the forwards (not so much the twins) need to step it up and show us all what they are made of.

From what was evidenced over the past season, nearly everybody outside of Daniel, Henrik, Burrows and possibly Hansen are woefully sub-standard in terms of scoring. It just doesn't gel with me, and shouldn't gel with Ownership why the over-abundance of talent on this team is not performing. Whilst I am a big AV fan, he and his coaching staff have got to do something more, and/or something different, to get this team scoring again.

Archived