To VAN

-Evander Kane

-Nik Antropov

To WPG

-Cory Schneider

-Keith Ballard

-2012 1st

*UNDERLYING ASSUMPTION* - Pavelec bolts for the KHL

Vancouver does this to solve their obvious goalie conundrum, and bring back a local, face-of-the-franchise type in Evander Kane, who's had his problems in Winnipeg. Antropov is on the last year of his bloated contract, so he could be motivated to earn one more, and he's a massive body with decent scoring touch.

Winnipeg does this to get their goalie for the next decade, someone already established with the local fanbase who has had great success in the city. Keith Ballard is also from just south of Manitoba, and he has clearly not been a fit here, so there's rehab potential in that instance, much like they rehabbed Kyle Wellwood last year.

IMO, it makes sense to hold onto Luongo. Especially if there's any confidence/excitement about Lack. Luongo's a known commodity. He's not the best in the league, but he's probably in the top 10, and he has been for many, many years. Trading him now is selling low, which is almost always a bad strategy. I think that the smarter play, pretty clearly, is trading Schneider, and getting back a young, franchise-type to build around. And yes, I think Kane might be available, given this price.

I don't know if Winnipeg takes this.

Schneider and Kane are equal at best, in all likelihood Kane has more value.

And despite Antropov's struggles last year, he is still a very capable top 6 forward, and I think he is still more valuable than people realize.

To VAN

-Evander Kane

-Nik Antropov

To WPG

-Cory Schneider

-Keith Ballard

-2012 1st

Vancouver does this to solve their obvious goalie conundrum, and bring back a local, face-of-the-franchise type in Evander Kane, who's had his problems in Winnipeg. Antropov is on the last year of his bloated contract, so he could be motivated to earn one more, and he's a massive body with decent scoring touch.

Winnipeg does this to get their goalie for the next decade, someone already established with the local fanbase who has had great success in the city. Keith Ballard is also from just south of Manitoba, and he has clearly not been a fit here, so there's rehab potential in that instance, much like they rehabbed Kyle Wellwood last year.

IMO, it makes sense to hold onto Luongo. Especially if there's any confidence/excitement about Lack. Luongo's a known commodity. He's not the best in the league, but he's probably in the top 10, and he has been for many, many years. Trading him now is selling low, which is almost always a bad strategy. I think that the smarter play, pretty clearly, is trading Schneider, and getting back a young, franchise-type to build around. And yes, I think Kane might be available, given this price.

To VAN

-Evander Kane

-Nik Antropov

To WPG

-Cory Schneider

-Keith Ballard

-2012 1st

To VAN

-Evander Kane

-Nik Antropov

To WPG

-Cory Schneider

-Keith Ballard

-2012 1st

I like your thinking, but Winnipeg is seriously lacking in the top 6 forward department, and I have a hard time seeing them give up their most promising forward prospect with nothing up front in return. They don't want their entire franchise riding on Andrew Ladd...

This. One of their bigger needs is a top line center who can put up more than 50 points and yet the OP has them losing arguably their best winger plus one of their top 2 centers yet getting nothing to replace them with.

Pavlec and the KHL is just a rumour, so they don't need goaltending apart from a backup, and the defence is not that bad. Think more along the lines of Kane for Kesler value wise, with pieces to balance it out.

Here's my recent proposal:

Kane and Burmistrov

for

Kesler, Rodin and a pick

If we don't offer something they want, other teams will.

Quantity does not equal quality.

IF Pavalec goes to the K For: Kane's rights and Burmistrov

Luongo (Bonafide elite goalie)

1st (would give them 2 top 30 picks)

Raymond ( A speedy winger for their top 6)

Tanev ( A good D prospect that would fit well on their roster)

Schroeder(To Help soften the lost of Burmistrov)

Pavelec is just a rumor, correct. But it's a potential outcome, and they'll need to move very fast if it happens. And from what we're being told, the probability of him leaving is quite high. High enough to necessitate discussion around trade, anyway.

A "top line C that can get 50 points" becomes pretty low priority when your goalie bolts, and you've got none under contract for next season.

Your proposal is clearly less desirable from Winnipeg's standpoint than mine, IMO. From Kane to Kesler is a lateral move right now, let alone the fact that they're getting a guy who's 7 years senior. And it's pretty obvious that Burmistrov is far, far more valuable than Anton Rodin. I have no idea why you think WPG would have any interest, whatsoever, in this.

Archived