The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lu's Value Just Grew Even more.....

bure10fan

I find it funny how everything nowadays has to do with Luongo.

I'm sorry, but if a team was trying to decide between Josh Harding and Roberto Luongo, they're probably not all that serious about their goaltending situation and aren't ready to give the Canucks what they want.

I hate how people on here compare Roberto Luongo to guys like Harding and Lindback. Listen, the guys an elite goaltender. Unless you have a Miller, a Fleury or a Lundqvist out there in play, Goaltenders like Harding and Lindback shouldn't affect Luongo's trade value. He's in a league of his own, you don't decide between unproven potential career backups and a goaltender who has carried his team to the Stanley Cup Finals and is consistently one of the best regular season goaltenders.

It sure did, but his value also rose dramatically for us - if we want to win. If we don't mind losing, we can keep Luo.

You have no idea whether Schneider is ready to play 60-70 games. But as a matter of fact, Luo wasn't either - when he tried, he'd have a couple of enormous slumps each year he did so - beginning of every year for one of them. Luo is a 'work-in-progress' alright - he is progressing his way to another team where there is no neccessity to win it all. How you can claim tha he gives us a better chance than Schneider after this past year's performance defies all logic and reason. Get this through your thick skull - look it up on nhl.com - Luo was an average, a mediocre, goalie in the regular season. In the playoffs - he was the worst goalie that took part. Schneider was third best in the regular season, and the BEST in GAA and save % in the playoffs - of ALL goalies.

How can you reconcile those facts with Luo giving us the 'best chance'?

I find it funny how everything nowadays has to do with Luongo.

I'm sorry, but if a team was trying to decide between Josh Harding and Roberto Luongo, they're probably not all that serious about their goaltending situation and aren't ready to give the Canucks what they want.

I hate how people on here compare Roberto Luongo to guys like Harding and Lindback. Listen, the guys an elite goaltender. Unless you have a Miller, a Fleury or a Lundqvist out there in play, Goaltenders like Harding and Lindback shouldn't affect Luongo's trade value. He's in a league of his own, you don't decide between unproven potential career backups and a goaltender who has carried his team to the Stanley Cup Finals and is consistently one of the best regular season goaltenders.

For all the Luongo haters out there, if we trade this guy it doesn't matter who we get back, Schneider is not ready to play 60-70 games AND another 25 in the post season to win us a cup.

The kid (and yes, he's still a kid to those of you who think he's as proven as Luongo is) has played a total of under 60 games in his career with 4 playoff starts and has 1 playoff win. Don't let his numbers fool you, this guy has never had a taste of a full-time position and I don't trust the team's playoff Cup chances on him one bit.

Sure he'll be good in 3 or 4 seasons once he's lost in the playoffs and learns what it takes, but by then our core will be old and pathetic. We need to stick with Luongo because he's been through it all and he's a work in progress, and after so much he gives us a better chance to win than Schneider.

Quote me on this Luongo-haters, if we trade Luongo and hitch our wagon on Cory Schneider this team won't win a Cup for another 3 or 4 years. If we stick with Luongo we're giving ourselves a great chance to win it for each of the next 3 seasons at least.

What double standard? You were the one that brought up the playoff win/loss stat. I'm simply expanding on it by saying that Luongo was 0-2 while Schneider was 1-2. Am I wrong? If you don't like that stat anymore we can talk about GAA...or sv%...or any regular season stat...although I really doubt any of them would help your cause.

You ignore every stat, you ignore Schneider's youth, you ignore Luongo's age, you ignore cap hit, you ignore Luongo's tendancy to put his foot in his mouth and you ignore Luongo's early season slumps and playoff meltdowns. Then you accuse me of having a double standard. Don't you see anything ironic there? You're desperately holding on to the goalie that Luongo used to be.

Luongo gives us a chance to win. Get the good defensemen prospects/players in NHL that will get us better defensively, and Luongo will do great, Schnieder will give us the chance too; but he will bring better players.

It's about what will give us a better chance to win right now in my eyes, and keeping Luongo and getting good players back for Schnieds sounds like the best way.

... Luongo is an emotional goaltender, he rides the highs and the lows. Think of Luongo as an individual with bi-polar disorder but happens to be pretty good at remembering to take their meds. As the team goes so does Luongo, when the team plays well and is on an emotional high, Luongo is amped up and when stuff gets hectic he seems to be able to haul his ass out of the fire in fairly spectacular fashion.

That's all well and good, but when the team is on a down swing and things aren't quite going their way Luongo seems to go into a comatose state, letting in the soft goals and generally having us question why he makes the salary he does.

Therefore, I think it's fair to say that Luongo's Achilles heel is that he is not able to adequately manufacture consistency when the rest of the team requires a rallying point; Luongo does not make the team look better, the team makes Luongo look better (or worse) and this really is no different for 99% of goaltenders in the league.

In keeping with my effort to spell things out my logic in keeping Luongo over Schneider is this: should management be able to acquire the types of individuals for this team that are capable of manufacturing that consistency when it's most needed, AND the coaching staff is able to formulate a game plan that can adequately utilize these players it then makes sense to keep Luongo as then the team is truly built around Luongo and should be better suited to covering up Luongo's weaknesses.

If that cannot be accomplished, then Luongo will continue to rot here in Vancouver. Indeed my faith in Alain Vigneault and his ability to adjust to accommodate players and their personalities is pretty much non-existent; AV has proven time and time again that unless you adjust YOUR attitude to suit HIS coaching style, you might as well get used to being thrown under the bus and/or sitting in the press box.

In summary; complete identity shift for the team = keep Luongo and move Schneider, or just move Luongo and maintain the status quo as Schneider has pretty much shown to be that calming influence the team so desperately needs in times of duress.

Luongo is the canucks best goalie in franchise history, and he's still better than Schneider. I don't care if you idiots on CDC don't think so (according to all the polls and Toronto-trade rumours), but MG does and he's not parting with Luongo.

By the time he ends his career Lu will be in the top 10 for just about every goaltending statistic. We've never had a top-10 scorer or a top-10 defenceman, and now we have a legendary goalie. That's right, a top-10 NHL goalie in the history of the sport and you want some young unproven kid over him who could crumble under the pressure of a full season?

I'd rather trust one of the games best ever than someone who will be lucky if he's ever mentioned in the same sentence as Luongo.

Luongo is the canucks best goalie in franchise history, and he's still better than Schneider. I don't care if you idiots on CDC don't think so (according to all the polls and Toronto-trade rumours), but MG does and he's not parting with Luongo.

By the time he ends his career Lu will be in the top 10 for just about every goaltending statistic. We've never had a top-10 scorer or a top-10 defenceman, and now we have a legendary goalie. That's right, a top-10 NHL goalie in the history of the sport and you want some young unproven kid over him who could crumble under the pressure of a full season?

I'd rather trust one of the games best ever than someone who will be lucky if he's ever mentioned in the same sentence as Luongo.

I think you should prepare yourself for a horrible shock, unless of course NOBODY in the league offers us anything of value.

Hey, watch this:

Luongo is the best goalie in the history of the Panthers. (playoffs not included) There is no way we will trade him for a washed up power forward.

Luongo is the best goalie in the history of the Canucks (playoffs not included). There is no way will trade....

Archived