Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Why Luongo will not be traded at the draft, and why he might.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 keslerforthecup

keslerforthecup

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

A lot of people have been telling Gillis to man up and grow a pair for not making a blockbuster deal, and the rumours of Luongo having a good chance not to be traded at the draft has people beyond angry.

The reasons Luongo will not be getting moved on the draft is the following:
They are still in listening mode.
Gillis had said in an interview that 5 draft picks are fine to the management, which means that they probably won't trade at the draft because why not wait if you don't want any picks, I am also aware that there will be offers on the table throughout the draft, but that does not necessarily mean the Canucks will accept.
Also, they might have not come up with a package deal for Luongo yet, and the market may be better in August.

The reasons Luongo will be getting moved at the draft is the following:
Gillis likes to troll and he could be pulling something on us.
They may want draft picks if a good offer comes up.
Schiender may not want to sign if Luongo is still here.

Also, there is a very unlikely chance that Schiender will be traded, but if they sign him it will raise his value and he could trade him if an amazing offer comes up, but it's highly, highly unlikely.

#2 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

I think the Market for Luongo will be worse in August.

By then, everyteam should have their team settle already. Others GMs will know Gillis doesn't want to start the camp with both Schneider and Luongo on the teams. Just like Ottawa didn't want Heatley around training camp the year he was traded.

Trade him now !

#3 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,766 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

http://forum.canucks...ring-the-draft/

#4 iamspuzzum

iamspuzzum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

Last night, Ass. GM Laurence Gilman, was on NW98's SportsTalk, talking with Dave Pratt. Pratt asked if the list Luongo gave them is getting shorter. Gilman said Dave had a bad scoop.. Luongo has "not" tendered a list, and that Lu's at home in Florida "decompress". He also said they've held interest expressed on "both" goalies. .. I thought the exit clause in Lu's contract required him to give a "written list of 5 teams". Even if they both agreed to a trade.. The no trade contract requires the written list to get out of it legally. No list.. No trade. I think Schneider's the trade bait.

CKNW Sports Talk - Mon Jun 18 - Hour 1

http://www.cknw.com/podcasts.aspx

#5 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

In other words he may be traded then, he may not be.

Cool.
Posted Image

#6 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

Is this the new SamJam in disguise.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#7 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

By then, everyteam should have their team settle already. Others GMs will know Gillis doesn't want to start the camp with both Schneider and Luongo on the teams. Just like Ottawa didn't want Heatley around training camp the year he was traded.

Trade him now !

You need to work on your base of knowledge so your comparisons make some sense. Heatley?
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#8 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

A lot of people have been telling Gillis to man up and grow a pair for not making a blockbuster deal, and the rumours of Luongo having a good chance not to be traded at the draft has people beyond angry.

The reasons Luongo will not be getting moved on the draft is the following:
They are still in listening mode.
Gillis had said in an interview that 5 draft picks are fine to the management, which means that they probably won't trade at the draft because why not wait if you don't want any picks, I am also aware that there will be offers on the table throughout the draft, but that does not necessarily mean the Canucks will accept.
Also, they might have not come up with a package deal for Luongo yet, and the market may be better in August.

The reasons Luongo will be getting moved at the draft is the following:
They may want draft picks if a good offer comes up.
Schiender may not want to sign if Luongo is still here.

Also, there is a very unlikely chance that Schiender will be traded, but if they sign him it will raise his value and he could trade him if an amazing offer comes up, but it's highly, highly unlikely.

Why the hell is this ANOTHER new thread?
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#9 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

Yawn :bored:

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#10 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

By then, everyteam should have their team settle already.  Others GMs will know Gillis doesn't want to start the camp with both Schneider and Luongo on the teams.  Just like Ottawa didn't want Heatley around training camp the year he was traded.

Trade him now !

Yess!
Posted Image

#11 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

why do people think that the canucks should tell the fans, what is going on?....that's not how to do business....we just have to show patience....

#12 mabbott

mabbott

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

worst case scenario - we hold on to both goalies great tandem but a waste of an asset and cap space. but a positive twist. Market for schneids increases and we trade either goalie for whom ever wins the lottery pick and we pick Nathan Mackinnon whose gonna be a stud plus we get to see the leafs suffer another year!!!!!

#13 EddieVedder

EddieVedder

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

Ive held my breathe on these ridiculous Lou threads long enough. There has only been one meeting between Loungo and Gillis. The only thing said was that he would be willing to waive his no trade clause if it was in the best interest of the team. There is NO list of teams. Never has been. I know this simply because, Lou cousins, who Ive known for 10 plus years, own a hockey shop here on the North Shore. They know exactly whats going on, and its absolutely comical to them the way the media has competely toyed with the fans regarding Lou and the Canucks. There is NO list, and Toronto is NOT a place Lou would waive his clause to. Gillis, the team, and Lou stilll very much are a team and Gillis still considers Lou a huge part of this club. That is all im going to say about this, so enough with these fantasies about a trade involving Lou and the Leafs.

Edited by EddieVedder, 19 June 2012 - 02:23 PM.

#14 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

Yes, i contested the thought of Luongo 'wanting to go to TO' as soon as it came up. Why would he request to be dumped from one microscope hockey town only to head over to an even bigger (and far more insane) microscope hockey town? Because he wants to win? Because he's from Montreal? Because he lives in Florida?

The only evidence that leads to 'Luongo to TO' is a phantom list (that conveniently includes TO) and a bunch of blabbering and rumour-mongering coming out of TO.

Anyway, it's all not without purpose. Both towns have a long off-season to fill with meaningless talk. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#15 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

Yes, i contested the thought of Luongo 'wanting to go to TO' as soon as it came up. Why would he request to be dumped from one microscope hockey town only to head over to an even bigger (and far more insane) microscope hockey town? Because he wants to win? Because he's from Montreal? Because he lives in Florida?

The only evidence that leads to 'Luongo to TO' is a phantom list (that conveniently includes TO) and a bunch of blabbering and rumour-mongering coming out of TO.

Anyway, it's all not without purpose. Both towns have a long off-season to fill with meaningless talk. Cheers.

TOML

Why wouldn't he want to play in TO? Does he seems like the type of player who doesn't enjoy the spotlight?

#16 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

why do people think that the canucks should tell the fans, what is going on?....that's not how to do business....we just have to show patience....

I bet we could keep the secret if Gillis told us his exact off season plan.

#17 ba;;isticsports

ba;;isticsports

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

Why the hell is this ANOTHER new thread?

1) I find it amusing, why You would Open this thread then ?
2) That if you felt that way, Why add to it?
3) Does Your posting this stop him from posting it,and others responding? They do because they want too- that is their choice
4) If Your not interested in a thread and not contributing, Why not just leave it alone?

#18 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

Pot, meet Kettle.

#19 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

This guys got it
Posted Image

#20 hockeystar

hockeystar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

lol on this thread...
Posted Image

#21 iamspuzzum

iamspuzzum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

Strange.. reading the exit clauses of his contract, they can't even do this until the end of 2013-14 season...

"KNOWN CLAUSES (note: if player has been traded, clauses may no longer apply): NTC (player can supply five-team trade list following final game of 2013-14, valid through July 15, 2014; if player does not submit trade list at that time, team can request a five-team trade list following final game of 2017-18 season, valid through Sept. 1, 2018). If player submitted a trade list in 2014 and was not moved, team loses right to request trade list in 2018."

http://www.capgeek.c...play.php?id=683

To my understanding, that's the only way both parties can exit the contract. Sounds to me like they're both locked in.. until then at least.

I guess that's why he hasn't submitted a list yet... :P

Edited by iamspuzzum, 19 June 2012 - 06:34 PM.

#22 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

1) I find it amusing, why You would Open this thread then ?
2) That if you felt that way, Why add to it?
3) Does Your posting this stop him from posting it,and others responding? They do because they want too- that is their choice
4) If Your not interested in a thread and not contributing, Why not just leave it alone?

Why open it? Well, because without doing so it is impossible to see if some new and interesting is contained within. This board gets cluttered with so much garbage on the exact same topic that hopefully the creators of these threads will take some mild criticism of the pointlessness of their posts and apply it NEXT time. Believe it or not, there are people here that lack basic skills of communication, but with help they can get better.

I am very interested in RIDDING this board of redundant garbage. We should all be.

#23 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

Strange.. reading the exit clauses of his contract, they can't even do this until the end of 2013-14 season...

"KNOWN CLAUSES (note: if player has been traded, clauses may no longer apply): NTC (player can supply five-team trade list following final game of 2013-14, valid through July 15, 2014; if player does not submit trade list at that time, team can request a five-team trade list following final game of 2017-18 season, valid through Sept. 1, 2018). If player submitted a trade list in 2014 and was not moved, team loses right to request trade list in 2018."

To my understanding, that's the only way both parties can exit the contract. Sounds to me like they're both locked in.. until then at least.

There is nothing locking the parties into this part of the deal that they both can't agree to waive.

#24 chicocanuck

chicocanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Trade him now !

Every year there is a big trade/UFA rumour surrounding the team, and every year someone says it's now or never. Act now before it's too late!

Yet, every year, we see trades at the end of the off-season, the start of the season (injuries, players not working out, etc), and again at the trade deadline.

There is absolutely ZERO rush to trade Luongo. The situation would be different if Luongo demanded a trade publicly (like Heatley), but that is not the case. Patience, people. It's only June.

Posted Image

"He's so cool and calm he could have played with a cigarette in his mouth". - Kevin Bieksa

#25 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

Whoa Brain buster.
Posted Image

#26 iamspuzzum

iamspuzzum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

There is nothing locking the parties into this part of the deal that they both can't agree to waive.

I used to be on a bargaining committee.. I do know how contracts work. The exit clause is the only way out. The only other way out, is if the Canucks put him on waivers.. or he retires.

#27 juwanski

juwanski

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:52 PM

Yeah cuz if Lu gives a 10 team list he cant be traded... pull your head out of your @ss, there is no "list".

#28 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

this kind of thread is getting pretty old :bored:

o5udj8.jpg

medium.jpg CDCFL medium.jpg CDCEHL medium.jpg CDCSTHS

*Commissioner of CDCYHL*

#29 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

Imagine what this site is going to be like if Lu is not traded. To me the facts of it all are this:

Gillis is listening to offers for both. Offers are always coming in for different players so its business as usual meaning there is no rush to move either.
They are still evaluating what to do and this is dependent upon the above
It seems that teams are trying to get Lu on the cheap and Gillis won't go for that - nor should he.

My view is that if Gillis gets a good offer he will move one of the goalies. This will also be dependent upon what goes on after July 1st and free agency. There are obvious guys Gillis is targeting and if we get those then there is less pressure to move a goalie to acquire the needed pieces.

So as of right now things are pretty wide open and fluid. In terms of games between the GMs it is a who flinches first game at the moment. Gillis is in a position to hold out.

Edited by samurai, 19 June 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#30 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

I used to be on a bargaining committee.. I do know how contracts work. The exit clause is the only way out. The only other way out, is if the Canucks put him on waivers.. or he retires.

If BOTH PARTIES agree to waive a clause or delete an entire contract they can. Who exactly do you think is going to enforce the NTC? The NHL? Your knowledge of contracts explains why you USED to be on a committee. (and a big old lol to being on a committee) When I was in university I was on a health and safety committee. We smoked, drank, drove, got high and went snowboarding. And that before noon.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.