The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Kesler for Jordan Staal and here's why...

How many games did Staal play last season? Funny, you forgot to mention Kesler also played 15 more games than Staal. Staal is 23, Kesler is 27. Kesler's highest point total when he was 23 was 37. I would take Staal over Kesler.

You fail to see any logic because you're Kesler blinders are dug into your face.

Talk about a lateral move. Staal's pretty overrated around these parts. He's had just as much injury trouble as Kesler, if not more, and is not in any way an upgrade.

Kesler's also signed to $5m per the next 4 years compared to Staal who's a UFA next year. Any offer from Pittsburgh better include more value.

What's pretty funny is you think Kesler belongs on the 3rd line.

He would be on the 1st line for half the teams in the league.

Face it, when both are at their bests, Staal is half the player Kesler is and I bet if I go back into your posts from the 2010-11 season I bet I'll find plenty of "I love Kesler posts".

No. Just. No! :picard: Why in the world would Vancouver trade away the player who is the heart and soul of this team? Why would anyone even want this? I wouldn't even trade Kesler for Crosby!!. You do not trade away the player who is the soul reason Vancouver even made it to the finals in 2011!

Sometimes bringing a 'star' to the team will do nothing but sink it, and when you trade away one of your core players and perhaps the one who has shown the most heart and soul on this team when you do that for some star who really doesn't care, it can have negative effects.

with Burrows being the heart and soul of the nucks and Staal being younger, bigger and a more sportsmanlike player I'd part with Ryan.You have to give up value to recieve value.Fringe benefit is it maybe easier to talk the other Staals into signing here if they ever hit free agency.

You know how far Super Canuck is going in one direction. You're going just as far in the other direction.

Staal for Kelser could be a good deal for both teams with both of them as the cornerstones of the package.

I don't hate nor love Kesler. Anyone who thinks that most of the people who are frustrated with him is just because of one season need to open their eyes a bit. Kesler is great;if he wasn't he wouldn't have participated in the olympics, but for every "he carried us through the Nashville series" there's a "he disappeared for us here" or "he cost us with his bull**** here". He's a terrific player...but don't hold him up like he's the end all and be all of this team. This team is far greater than Ryan Kesler.

Sure he's a big part of this team but that doesn't mean he can't be replaced.

And we would be a top contender because if he's traded it's not for thin air it's for other players. Like it or not Ryan Kesler is NOT the Vancouver Canucks. He's just one player. A very good/great player no doubt but that doesn't change anything. Take out one cog and add another. It might be different but I guarantee that you can't guarantee that it would be destroyed as you seem to think it would be.

I don't know how much "far greater" you think we can be by trading Kesler. He's one of the best 2C's in the game so there isn't really any trades including him, that seem realistic where our team becomes significantly better. I didn't mean to imply that he is the Vancouver Canucks. His trade value also isn't at an all time high which would make it harder to get pieces to significantly improve our team.

Where did I say "far greater"?

And I'm sorry but Kesler can be replaced. I'd also say he can be one of the best second line centers in the NHL but that doesn't change that he can be involved in a trade without this team getting worse. This team could get better with Kesler being traded; that's what I'm implying when I say Kesler is not the Vancouver Canucks and the Canucks are more than Ryan Kesler.

Kesler is great...but I couldn't possibly care any less if he gets traded the team as a whole gets better.

You said the Vancouver Canucks are far greater than Ryan Kesler. Something along those lines atleast. Now I may be wrong, but the way I interpreted that is that you think our team can be "far greater" through the trade route. What I'm saying is that I don't think thats possible. I'm not objecting that our team can improve but with his current trade value, I don't think it's likely. I disagree with the idea that our team can significantly improve by trading him. I'm also not argueing with the fact that he can be replaced, but again I don't think the return would significantly improve our team.

Yes the Vancouver Canucks are far greater than Ryan Kesler but the problem is you interpreted that saying wrong; although given some of the comments in this thread I can hardly blame you. Anyways the machine is always far greater than the sum of it's parts.

Also yes trading him while he's injured probably reduces his value a bit but he can still be traded off this team without it hurting this team. I'd say there are options out there that do improve the team as a whole. Perhaps it doesn't improve the second line center position but that's not what I've been talking about at all.

How many games did Staal play last season? Funny, you forgot to mention Kesler also played 15 more games than Staal. Staal is 23, Kesler is 27. Kesler's highest point total when he was 23 was 37. I would take Staal over Kesler.

You fail to see any logic because you're Kesler blinders are dug into your face.

You know how far Super Canuck is going in one direction. You're going just as far in the other direction.

Staal for Kelser could be a good deal for both teams with both of them as the cornerstones of the package.

I don't hate nor love Kesler. Anyone who thinks that most of the people who are frustrated with him is just because of one season need to open their eyes a bit. Kesler is great;if he wasn't he wouldn't have participated in the olympics, but for every "he carried us through the Nashville series" there's a "he disappeared for us here" or "he cost us with his bull**** here". He's a terrific player...but don't hold him up like he's the end all and be all of this team. This team is far greater than Ryan Kesler.

Yea that was my mistake, I made the silly assumption that you were steering in the same direction as the rest of the thread :picard:.

Where I think we fell off was where you said "far greater." I was thinking that you meant the team as a whole would have a significant improvement through trading him. I do agree with you in the sense that our team can improve in other areas by trading him. I just don't think that whatever position we improve in, would have a huge impact on the overall success of the team to make it noticeable.

Kesler and a pick or two straight up for Staal is pretty fair. I for one am tired of Kesler's arrogance when it comes to playing hurt, because it means he's letting the team down when it matters most - down the home stretch. Sick of this guy peaking in January then fizzling out and leaving the team behind.

Depth at center is so important, and with an injured Kesler we basically have 1 scoring center on the team. People think Luongo needs a change and that he's peaked but I feel Kes is the one who needs the swap. He's banged up, never going to hit 41 goals again and has the wrong attitude because he can't preserve his body for a playoff push.

Kesler is not a playoff performer either - he had 1 good series (5 games at that). Staal has a Cup ring and he hasn't even peaked yet, and we all saw how clutch he was in the playoffs.

Archived