The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pierre McGuire not so wrong!

Herberts Vasiljevs

<p>There was an immediate explosion here on CDC when TSN analyst Pierre McGuire picked Malclom Subban to be picked by the Vancouver Canucks at 26th overall. This isn't based by how scouts ranked them, but where they think each team would pick them.

Yes, I agree with most you in the fact that Pierre McGuire's a total idiot, and frankly, so is that knob Button. It's a shame that TSN had to pick their two worst analysts for the show. Let's no kid ourselves about that.

But let me be honest, Pierre McGuire's idea wasn't necessarily a terrible one. No matter what the circumstances, I say that you ALWAYS pick the BPA (best player available) in the draft. Malcolm Subban has great size for a goaltender (average), has some of the quickest reflexes for a goalie prospect in a long time, and yes, he knows how to keep his cool: unlike PK Subban, and that's very important for a goalie.

Pierre McGuire learned from what I found the most hilarious draft moment ever. A few years ago when Carey Price was drafted by the Canadians, he went right at Bob Gainey just as he was picked and said that it was an awful pick for the Canadians. They had Jose Theodore at the time and that was just 2 seasons after he had won the Hart Trophy, and Yann Danis was a really coveted goalie coming out of university hockey. Pierre stated on that day that the Montreal Canadians had waaaay more important needs (much like Vancouver does now), and now a few years later, he's the only player who gives his team a chance to win.

Also, Tuukka Rask vs. Andrew Raycroft. The Maple Leafs drafted Rask a few years back in the first round. Andrew Raycroft won the Calder Trophy with the Boston Bruins in the 2004 regular season. Andrew Raycroft was later on traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Tuukka Rask, which led to the endless goalie graveyard in Toronto (Raycroft, Toskala, Reimer, Gustavsson). The funny thing is, if Toronto had been smart enough to keep Tuukka Rask, he could have been that solution to Toronto's goaltending problems; though I have to admit, Toronto has AWFUL defensive defense.

Say we do trade Luongo anytime soon, what if Cory Schneider does turn into a Andrew Raycroft or Steve Mason? There's no telling yet if Schneider can play full regular seasons and playoffs in back to back years, though I think he can. What if we trade Scheider and Roberto Luongo suddenly goes on the decline? I'm not saying it will happen, because I truly don't feel it won't, but history has shown that anything's possible!

The only thing I don't agree with that Pierre said is that we really need another goalie in the system. Joe Cannata looks very promising and he's really blossuming in the exact league Ryan Miller did, and expect him to see time with the Chicago Wolves this year. Who knows, maybe we'll face goaltending problems in the future, but, maybe we won't. But like%2

Did you really just compare Schnieder to Raycroft? Really?

Oh and PS, Umm I think Pierre doesn't really think very deeply.

We have Schnieder who is staying and 26

Lack ready or a year away

Cannata ready to develop

Why add Souban? Don't think so Pierre, a little stupid/lack of analysis when the canucks are not deep up front in their system or on defense, goaltending is actually the only place we have strength.

Scott Laughton will be taken before any goalie is by Vancouver. Expect him or Samuellson if they are available.

I would expect a LW or Center to be drafted in the first round. We are weak on skill/no depth in our minors for players at those positions with skill. Alot of grinders or two way players there but no impact guys.

RW:

Jensen

Kassian

Rodin

Pretty solid group if they all develop. You have a great one two punch with Jensen and Kassian and if Rodin can turn into a Hansen, hey perfect.

LW

Volpatti

Duco

Sweat

Anthony / Archibald

Not very good in terms of probability of making an impact

C

Schroeder

Labate

Friesen

Again very weak and here's hoping Schroeder is ready to make the jump but again nothing in the center position in terms of high probability impact players. Center is the most important position in hockey...we traded away our best young one...we really need to trade up this year or next to get that a shot at a young one.

D- solid

Tanev

Connaughton

Sauve - should get a real look this year, he should be ready to play in between the Peg and Van

Corrado

McNally

really not an 'urgent' need. Can probably find a offensively gifted guy in the second round who needs time, or a big man who needs time as well...

So...C or LW

Raycroft is a backup goaltender and a former 5th round pick. I have no idea why we're comparing Schneider to him. Steve Mason was rushed as a rookie and was facing huge expectations upon his standout rookie season. Plus he has a horrible team in front of him. Schneider was a 1st round pick, he's been developed properly, and he's just entering his prime. We also have Eddie Lack. We need to strengthen our prospect pool in every area except for goaltending. There's not 1 area that I see we have stacked talent.

Regardless of the depth of young goaltenders the Canucks have in Schneider; Lack, Cannata, Honzik - Subban may not be a bad pick if available when the Canucks pick. If the skater/s they want aren't available it is not unthinkable - particularly when the market for goaltenders is probably the slimmest - and the most volatile position. He could be a valuable trade chip even if they don't necessarily intend to develop him.

Did you really just compare Schnieder to Raycroft? Really?

WOW....GO LUBBA DA LOU SOME MORAH!

Oh and PS, Umm I think Pierre doesn't really think very deeply.

We have Schnieder who is staying and 26

Lack ready or a year away

Cannata ready to develop

Why add Souban? Don't think so Pierre, a little stupid/lack of analysis when the canucks are not deep up front in their system or on defense, goaltending is actually the only place we have strength.

Scott Laughton will be taken before any goalie is by Vancouver. Expect him or Samuellson if they are available.

While people say that people have Lack and so and so. This isn't a good reason not to draft a goaltender. Goaltenders generally take longer to develop, by the time goalie has ready, it'll be about 3-5 years down the road. Back in 99, people thought for sure, we had 3 quality goaltenders in Auld, Vincent, and another guy i can't quite remember. Auld was the only one that turned into anything. The other two didn't come close.

Problem is it's Subban. Sure, we hear that he's a bit more mature than his brother, but you can clearly judge by his interviews that they both have the same competitiveness. I doubt, he'll have the patience of a Schneider to wait his turn. Subban could very well be the next Ray Emery, which is more a helll more likely than being that other nutjob in Patty Roy.

I think, with the experience with Luongo that the organization would rather not have a high emotional goaltender.

While people say that people have Lack and so and so. This isn't a good reason not to draft a goaltender. Goaltenders generally take longer to develop, by the time goalie has ready, it'll be about 3-5 years down the road. Back in 99, people thought for sure, we had 3 quality goaltenders in Auld, Vincent, and another guy i can't quite remember. Auld was the only one that turned into anything. The other two didn't come close.

Problem is it's Subban. Sure, we hear that he's a bit more mature than his brother, but you can clearly judge by his interviews that they both have the same competitiveness. I doubt, he'll have the patience of a Schneider to wait his turn. Subban could very well be the next Ray Emery, which is more a helll more likely than being that other nutjob in Patty Roy.

I think, with the experience with Luongo that the organization would rather not have a high emotional goaltender.

Archived