The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Maple Leafs might not be so desperate for Luongo after all

NuxFan09

According to this article by Pierre LeBrun, Brian Burke is interested in Loungo but if there isn't a trade that tickles his fancy, he's more than happy to stick with James Reimer and Ben Scrivens:

Meanwhile, the Leafs had hoped to upgrade in goal, and that could still happen, especially if the Vancouver Canucks come calling with Roberto Luongo.

But if nothing happens on that front, the Leafs can also live with James Reimer and Ben Scrivens as their 1-2 punch in goal.

"We are prepared to go forward on that basis," Burke said. "If we can upgrade at the goaltending position, and at a reasonable price, we’ll do it. But are prepared [to go with Reimer-Scrivens]. I believe in James Reimer. He’s young, he’s athletic, I believe in this kid. If we have to start like that, we will."

LeBrun then speculates:

Burke declined to talk about specific goalie targets, but it’s clear through conversations I’ve had with other league sources that the Leafs have interest in Luongo, although as of Wednesday morning, I don’t believe there had been any meaningful discussions between Toronto and Vancouver. I don’t think the Leafs would be willing to move a high-level asset to Vancouver in exchange. My sense is that Toronto will keep tabs on the Luongo situation, but is not in desperation mode whatsoever to get something done. Not with 10 years left on Luongo’s contract. If it’s a deal that make sense, I think the Leafs will do it. But they won’t overpay.

Now, none of this is necessarily breaking news, but it is interesting to hear right from Brian Burke himself that me would be happy sticking with James Reimer. This is likely an obvious case of posturing but I do myself believe that Burke is the type to let his ego get in the way and pass on the opportunity to acquire Luongo if he doesn't quite like what he hears from Gillis. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

This sounds like a bluff - at the very least a significant contradiction to what Nonis said - that the will be acquiring a veteran. Burke is countering Gillis' willingness to keep Luongo and the tandem intact if there aren't reasonable offers. Not willing to move a high level asset? Then don't expect to acquire a higher level, rarer asset. Get real. No surprise here - the Leafs are lowballing. I hope they persist and go into next year with their current roster.

Now, none of this is necessarily breaking news, but it is interesting to hear right from Brian Burke himself that me would be happy sticking with James Reimer. This is likely an obvious case of posturing but I do myself believe that Burke is the type to let his ego get in the way and pass on the opportunity to acquire Luongo if he doesn't quite like what he hears from Gillis. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Yah when is Burke ever said the truth, what he supposed to do say " Yah Pierre um, its a great situation you know cause we are desperate to buy and they are desperate to sell, so I really don't mind getting bent over in a trade."

Its called negotiation through media.

i still think that it is definitely possible that Lou doesn't get traded and Schneider does. Burke and MG could easily have their ego's collide and a deal does not get done as a result. If Columbus is interested in Schneider and they are willing to give up a lot (say a 2nd, or Nash in a deal), MG would be more than happy to keep Lou with Lack as a backup and deal Schneider, as would I if we get overpaid by Columbus. I've been crying for Lou to get traded but I'm starting to think I'd like assets from Columbus back more than what TO is willing to give us. Plus, we'd still have Lou so... ahh the suspense is killing me!!! I just don't know!!!???

It's Burke. He's blowing hot air, trying to be deceptive.

Brian, your goalies SUCK. Your team is NOWHERE. You hardly have anything to trade except your 1st round pick.

Luongo is one of a very few players who have the ability to save your job.

Stick with Reimer? You're going down in a ball of flames.

It's time to stop blowing hot air and get down to business. I care not about Toronto, but always believed Burke to be a talented GM. I have been incredibly surprised by Burke's inability to do ANYTHING positive for the Leafs franchise.

Drafting? Sucks!

Trading? Sucks!

Coaching? Sucked! Carlyle is a step in the right direction. It doesn't matter though...the cupboard is bare.

Burke is just like all the other GMs though. No one ever says anything or gives anything away. He's going to say what he's going to say, but it's all spin and deception.

Toronto...you want Luongo? Be prepared to pay...Big Time.

The timing is curious as well - Harding off the market - Wild say they are keeping a tandem...

Damien Cox is stepping up his devalue Luongo campaign in the media - a bad move on a number of levels.

Preparing for more lowered expectations in Toronto.

Here is a newsflash - you are not getting Luongo for a 2nd tier Leaf and a 2nd rate prospect - there is scarcely anyone in your top tier that could crack the Canucks lineup (and your prospects are players the Leafs selected - enough said) - if the Canucks were going to move Luongo for less than he is worth, it would not be to the Leafs.

How priceless it will be when the Leafs miss the playoffs again.

I will laugh my keister off if Burke is actually stuck with those two as his goalies when Luongo is traded somewhere else.

Just like the Hodgson trade... Burke will be all pissy about how he was personally screwed by the way it went down.

He seems to think he has dibs and should also have a chance to match any trade that happens in the NHL. He is always making comments like that when he is left behind in trades...

From the Vancouver perspective:

A minimum wage backup to Schneider is going to play 20-25 games. He cannot reasonably be expected to win more than half of them.

With Luongo who would play 30 games we can expect him to win around 20 of them. He is also insurance if Schneider gets hurt.

We are better off with both Luongo and Schneider. Unless a trade gives us more wins than that combo does OR we end up landing a big free agent which makes us actually need to shed cap room.... then we don't move him.

Simple as that... everything else is just noise. It would have to be ridiculously good prospects to make a move that means we win less NOW.

Nothing Toronto has helps us win more now... aside from maybe Kessel and Phaneuf.

i still think that it is definitely possible that Lou doesn't get traded and Schneider does. Burke and MG could easily have their ego's collide and a deal does not get done as a result. If Columbus is interested in Schneider and they are willing to give up a lot (say a 2nd, or Nash in a deal), MG would be more than happy to keep Lou with Lack as a backup and deal Schneider, as would I if we get overpaid by Columbus. I've been crying for Lou to get traded but I'm starting to think I'd like assets from Columbus back more than what TO is willing to give us. Plus, we'd still have Lou so... ahh the suspense is killing me!!! I just don't know!!!???

Guest Dasein

We can still move Schneider instead to get a big piece (ie, Rick Nash).

It's not like Luongo is the only choice in trading a goaltender for assets we need.

Archived