The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Maple Leafs might not be so desperate for Luongo after all

NuxFan09

You think a 2nd is a lot for Schneider? get you head checked there bud. Damn I am glad you have nothing to do with running the Canucks. Why don't we trade both the Sedins for a 1st while were at it! Surely if Schneider could fetch a 2nd the two of them together could get us a 1st :picard:

The best offers are probably coming from Florida anyhow. They aren't playing games - they acknowledged that their young prospect has injury issues and is too young to play in the NHL - and will be spending another season in the AHL. They aren't going to run Luongo down in their media and then acquire him (let Toronto run with that crap if they want) - it is counterintuitive and creates disention amongst their fanbase. Florida are not a team that is unable to spend - they just took New Jersey to overtime of game 7 (and lost game 6 in ot as well). They have addtional playoff revenue from that series and (more realistically than the Leafs) next year to look forward to and are revitalizing their fanbase. The idea that they won't spend seriously contradicts the fact they added Campbell at 7+ million. All signs are that Florida is likely the frontrunner, and that is just fine as far as I am concerned.

Reminds me of how Gillis got Booth for scraps. He waited it out until a few Panthers games went by, calling Tallon's bluff.

It's a risk, but when if you're keeping on top of the situation, it's not that hard to get it done. (It also helped in that case that Booth's start was horrible.) Tallon's hand was forced and Gillis was the only other gm at the table.

This situation is different in that by the time a few games pass by this coming season, it'll be mid-January, due to the lockout.

A LOT of things can change by then. Including Luongo's and Schneider's feelings toward their short-term situation and whether or not they think this team can go all the way. It will also change for TO. By then they could realize that Scrivens and Reimer aren't the problem after all.

Both GMs are experienced enough to know how this game is played. But they have zero experience in getting deals done with each other. imo It's far more likely for Gillis and Tallon to get together again. Markstrom isn't ready and they might want an upgrade on Theodore. They can always trade Luongo again if they want if Markstrom looks for real. Cheers.

TOML

You think a 2nd is a lot for Schneider? get you head checked there bud. Damn I am glad you have nothing to do with running the Canucks. Why don't we trade both the Sedins for a 1st while were at it! Surely if Schneider could fetch a 2nd the two of them together could get us a 1st :picard:

The best offers are probably coming from Florida anyhow. They aren't playing games - they acknowledged that their young prospect has injury issues and is too young to play in the NHL - and will be spending another season in the AHL.

According to this article by Pierre LeBrun, Brian Burke is interested in Loungo but if there isn't a trade that tickles his fancy, he's more than happy to stick with James Reimer and Ben Scrivens:

Meanwhile, the Leafs had hoped to upgrade in goal, and that could still happen, especially if the Vancouver Canucks come calling with Roberto Luongo.

But if nothing happens on that front, the Leafs can also live with James Reimer and Ben Scrivens as their 1-2 punch in goal.

"We are prepared to go forward on that basis," Burke said. "If we can upgrade at the goaltending position, and at a reasonable price, we’ll do it. But are prepared [to go with Reimer-Scrivens]. I believe in James Reimer. He’s young, he’s athletic, I believe in this kid. If we have to start like that, we will."

LeBrun then speculates:

Burke declined to talk about specific goalie targets, but it’s clear through conversations I’ve had with other league sources that the Leafs have interest in Luongo, although as of Wednesday morning, I don’t believe there had been any meaningful discussions between Toronto and Vancouver. I don’t think the Leafs would be willing to move a high-level asset to Vancouver in exchange. My sense is that Toronto will keep tabs on the Luongo situation, but is not in desperation mode whatsoever to get something done. Not with 10 years left on Luongo’s contract. If it’s a deal that make sense, I think the Leafs will do it. But they won’t overpay.

Now, none of this is necessarily breaking news, but it is interesting to hear right from Brian Burke himself that me would be happy sticking with James Reimer. This is likely an obvious case of posturing but I do myself believe that Burke is the type to let his ego get in the way and pass on the opportunity to acquire Luongo if he doesn't quite like what he hears from Gillis. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Yeah, that's not going to work. It's quite obvious that we need help upfront and/or at least to improve our d. We can't waste another year by keeping them together. It's time to use one of them to improve our team.

<p>

Oh - I agree - but I don't see anyone taking on Luongo's salary - and if they do - we won't get much in return which means we don't improve our team (unless it's through free agency afterwards and that's always hit/miss).

<p>

I posted this in another thread as well but I think it's also appropriate here:The Flyers were able to dump Richards to L.A. for high end prospect Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds, and a second-round pick in the 2012 draft. At the time of the trade, Richards had 9 years left on a deal with a cap hit of 5.75 Million per year. They then turn around and dump Carter and his contract with 11 years remaining at an average cap hit of $5.27 million onto the CBJ's for Jakub Voracek as well as first-round pick and third-round 2011 picks.So not only did Philly shed the two horrible contracts, but they get two young studs, and with the picks drafted Sean Couturier and Nick Cousins. Boom...the Flyers rebuilt over night. And this was done with two guys with ridiculous contracts and who had questionable reputations in Philly.Even after a poor albeit injury filled first season in Columbus, the CBJ were still able to dump Carter onto the LA Kings at the trade deadline for Jack Johnson and a first round pick.As an additional comparable as to how valued goalies can be, last years deal for Bryzgalov...9 years, $51 Million with an average cap hit of $5.67 Million per season. And he's basically the same age as Lui...and he's a head case.So I just don't understand the thinking that Lui and his contract will only be able to get us a bag of pucks. If anything, he's a proven winner and team leader with impeccable character and a very manageable cap hit playing the most important position on the team. In one fell swoop, a team like the Leafs or Lightning would become instant playoff contenders. I think people are seriously undervaluing Lui. And as the supply of goalies available for trade disappears, I'd be shocked and very disappointed if MG couldn't parlay Lui into some significant value for our team.

Archived