The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Maple Leafs might not be so desperate for Luongo after all

NuxFan09

I wouldn't expect Schneider to be an RFA on July 1st - I'd be surprised if Gillis doesn't re-sign him beforehand. The cap hit of 9 million is not as much of an obstacle as people think. The difference between Luongo's 5.3 and the cost of a backup is about the same as Komisarek's salary - who would we rather have - a tandem in the short run, or a Leaf salary dump? Get real Toronto.

I actually believe Burke is stupid enough to ride Reimer and Scrivens. He rode Cloutier and that probably was what caused him to loose his job here as the first thing Nonis did was address the goaltending issue. Time for Burke to wake up or Nonis will be taking over the leafs and picking up a goalie next season.

They are all trying to get water from a stone..and Puffin out their chests !

I really see Luo going back to Florida (Good Team, History between teams, Family lives there)

Not a proposal, but Luo and raymond for a High pick, roster player and a resonable Salary dump

Burke always plays hardball, and it Fails ! and if he does not land luo, he will forsure land in the unemployment line.

wattersb11.jpg

<p>

I posted this in another thread as well but I think it's also appropriate here:The Flyers were able to dump Richards to L.A. for high end prospect Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds, and a second-round pick in the 2012 draft. At the time of the trade, Richards had 9 years left on a deal with a cap hit of 5.75 Million per year. They then turn around and dump Carter and his contract with 11 years remaining at an average cap hit of $5.27 million onto the CBJ's for Jakub Voracek as well as first-round pick and third-round 2011 picks.So not only did Philly shed the two horrible contracts, but they get two young studs, and with the picks drafted Sean Couturier and Nick Cousins. Boom...the Flyers rebuilt over night. And this was done with two guys with ridiculous contracts and who had questionable reputations in Philly.Even after a poor albeit injury filled first season in Columbus, the CBJ were still able to dump Carter onto the LA Kings at the trade deadline for Jack Johnson and a first round pick.As an additional comparable as to how valued goalies can be, last years deal for Bryzgalov...9 years, $51 Million with an average cap hit of $5.67 Million per season. And he's basically the same age as Lui...and he's a head case.So I just don't understand the thinking that Lui and his contract will only be able to get us a bag of pucks. If anything, he's a proven winner and team leader with impeccable character and a very manageable cap hit playing the most important position on the team. In one fell swoop, a team like the Leafs or Lightning would become instant playoff contenders. I think people are seriously undervaluing Lui. And as the supply of goalies available for trade disappears, I'd be shocked and very disappointed if MG couldn't parlay Lui into some significant value for our team.

Hey, if Burkie wants to improve the league's 2nd worst team SVP by starting the season with two unproven, young goalies and risk being out of the playoffs by December, power to him. But, in my opinion, he's just posturing. He would never come out and say he's desperate - it would just lower his already low amount of barganing power...

In other words, Burke is preparing to miss the playoffs again?

If Burke sticks with the status quo and misses the playoffs....again....he might find himself looking for another job. The playoffs mean revenue and if Luongo can do that for TO, his contract (which isn't out of line and does have an out clause) becomes a non issue.

If Burke thinks that the price for a proven starting goalie is a collection of TO castoffs.....he will continue to sit in his lonely office sweating over keeping his job because MG is not going to make a trade without getting full value coming to Vancouver.

Overrated, Overpriced, with a whopping 4 playoff games to his Resume (all losses btw) The Canucks need to stop adding players with losing mentality otherwise it infects the whole team (especially selling the farm to aquire those players)

Luongo Record since Being in a Canucks Uniform (6 Seasons - 386 Games)

224-115-41 = 489 Points

Entire Leafs Revolving Door Record... over the 6 Season (492 Games)

Jonas Gustavsson

James Reimer

Ben Scrivens

Jean-Sebastien Giguere

Vesa Toskala

Joey MacDonald

Curtis Joseph

Martin Gerber

Justin Pogge

Andrew Raycroft

Scott Clemmensen

212-210-70 = 494 Points

You tell me if Burke is not desperate

Luongo Record since Being in a Canucks Uniform (6 Seasons - 386 Games)

224-115-41 = 489 Points

Entire Leafs Revolving Door Record... over the 6 Season (492 Games)

Jonas Gustavsson

James Reimer

Ben Scrivens

Jean-Sebastien Giguere

Vesa Toskala

Joey MacDonald

Curtis Joseph

Martin Gerber

Justin Pogge

Andrew Raycroft

Scott Clemmensen

212-210-70 = 494 Points

You tell me if Burke is not desperate

Toronto - the price is higher than their propaganda has suggested.

Gillis tells them - here is the equivalent of what we have been offered - Toronto pffts it and thinks he is bluffing.

Gillis has had multiple offers and is possibly even about to announce that he went with the other offer?

Toronto still posturing but should be commencing damage control.

Archived