The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Maple Leafs might not be so desperate for Luongo after all

NuxFan09

You've been saying the same thing as Nonis' cousin and Leafs insider Darren Dreger all along?

Luongo for Komisarek it is.

Is it safe to say you are a Leafs fan, or another deprecating Canucks fan?

Let's imagine the conversation between Dale Tallon and Dreger/Cox/Lebrun (although it didn't happend because this is all based upon what Lebrun speculated...)

Dreger/Cox - Hey Dale, voices of the Leafs here - would you mind tipping your hand and letting us know if and what you have offered for Luongo.

Tallon (thinking to himself 'gfy') - sure guys I'm very interested in Roberto - bidding such and such - please run along and relate that to Dave and Brian so they can one-up me, and don't forget to publish it in the Toronto Star tomorrow... oh yeah, and feel free to quote me on that.

bahaha yeah right. Burke is foaming at the mouth for Luongo. He's just trying not to come off as desperate. He knows Reimer and Scrivens can't cut it in a hockey mad place like Toronto. Luongo is their saviour.

1) Burke is done, maybe forever, if the Leafs doesn't make the playoffs next year.

2) Luongo will greatly increase the Leafs' chances of making the playoffs.

So yes Burke is desperate. Very desperate. Everyone knows that he hates the gut out of MG and the owndership, but he is still talking with them.

If Luongo's value is so low, and his ability is so diminished, and his contract is so over-priced, why then would Toronto (or any other team) even consider trying to trade for him? With all of these negatives you and others have suggested, there still seems to be interest in this guy.

So, what can we assume from these various negative comments regarding Luongo? (pick one, or two if you think they both apply):

1.) Burke is a brain dead, mouth breather who doesn't know squat about hockey, in which case you should be mocking Burke for being such a fool.

2.) Burke is trying to make a shrewd move to acquire a guy who could save his team, and to do it for the lowest possible price, and he is getting help from various pundits in the local Toronto media.

regards,

G.

... do you have any suggestions as to what you think Luongo is going to fetch. Schenn and a 5th overall pick? Do you think that is a realistic expectation for a 33 year old goalie who has never won a Vezina? Maybe you have posted such proposals, I don't know. What would you think would be a reasonable return for BobbyLu?

you seem very quick to critisize. Although it is impossible to know cause I don't read every page of every Luongo thread, do you have any suggestions as to what you think Luongo is going to fetch. Schenn and a 5th overall pick? Do you think that is a realistic expectation for a 33 year old goalie who has never won a Vezina? Maybe you have posted such proposals, I don't know. What would you think would be a reasonable return for BobbyLu?

According to this article by Pierre LeBrun, Brian Burke is interested in Loungo but if there isn't a trade that tickles his fancy, he's more than happy to stick with James Reimer and Ben Scrivens:

Meanwhile, the Leafs had hoped to upgrade in goal, and that could still happen, especially if the Vancouver Canucks come calling with Roberto Luongo.

But if nothing happens on that front, the Leafs can also live with James Reimer and Ben Scrivens as their 1-2 punch in goal.

"We are prepared to go forward on that basis," Burke said. "If we can upgrade at the goaltending position, and at a reasonable price, we’ll do it. But are prepared [to go with Reimer-Scrivens]. I believe in James Reimer. He’s young, he’s athletic, I believe in this kid. If we have to start like that, we will."

LeBrun then speculates:

Burke declined to talk about specific goalie targets, but it’s clear through conversations I’ve had with other league sources that the Leafs have interest in Luongo, although as of Wednesday morning, I don’t believe there had been any meaningful discussions between Toronto and Vancouver. I don’t think the Leafs would be willing to move a high-level asset to Vancouver in exchange. My sense is that Toronto will keep tabs on the Luongo situation, but is not in desperation mode whatsoever to get something done. Not with 10 years left on Luongo’s contract. If it’s a deal that make sense, I think the Leafs will do it. But they won’t overpay.

Now, none of this is necessarily breaking news, but it is interesting to hear right from Brian Burke himself that me would be happy sticking with James Reimer. This is likely an obvious case of posturing but I do myself believe that Burke is the type to let his ego get in the way and pass on the opportunity to acquire Luongo if he doesn't quite like what he hears from Gillis. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

If Luongo's value is so low, and his ability is so diminished, and his contract is so over-priced, why then would Toronto (or any other team) even consider trying to trade for him? With all of these negatives you and others have suggested, there still seems to be interest in this guy.

So, what can we assume from these various negative comments regarding Luongo? (pick one, or two if you think they both apply):

1.) Burke is a brain dead, mouth breather who doesn't know squat about hockey, in which case you should be mocking Burke for being such a fool.

2.) Burke is trying to make a shrewd move to acquire a guy who could save his team, and to do it for the lowest possible price, and he is getting help from various pundits in the local Toronto media.

regards,

G.

I suppose it is plausible:

they are desperate for a real captain

they are desperate for a character go-to forward (no Kessel doesn't qualify)

they are desperate to make a Gardiner into a Norris candidate (as prematurely as Hodgson was projected as the next captain of the Canucks).

they are desperate for someone to subsidize their porous blueline - but perhaps their need for Luongo is lost in the sea of general despair.

they are desperate - so repeatedly and obviously desperate to make the playoffs, finally, and end the fact that they are the NHL's Laffing stock.

You've been saying the same thing as Nonis' cousin and Leafs insider Darren Dreger all along?

Luongo for Komisarek it is.

Is it safe to say you are a Leafs fan, or another deprecating Canucks fan?

Let's imagine the conversation between Dale Tallon and Dreger/Cox/Lebrun (although it didn't happend because this is all based upon what Lebrun speculated...)

Dreger/Cox - Hey Dale, voices of the Leafs here - would you mind tipping your hand and letting us know if and what you have offered for Luongo.

Tallon (thinking to himself 'gfy') - sure guys I'm very interested in Roberto - bidding such and such - please run along and relate that to Dave and Brian so they can one-up me, and don't forget to publish it in the Toronto Star tomorrow... oh yeah, and feel free to quote me on that.

How are your proposals more credible than his? It's a consensus or an educated guess more than anything.

I hate the leafs, but for Burke to give anything significant to Van for a contract like that would be brain dead! Losing that contract would be a huge win for Vancouver, but it ain't happening.

Luongo will not be traded for this reason.

This saga will not end this summer.

Have you looked at the contract? If you are so into TSN - look at the way Bob McKenzie backtracked when he took a closer look at the actual contract.

And you didn't really look at / think about those proposals, did you?

I Have a hard time looking at it

The contract makes me physically sick, we will see, if Luongo does not get traded then im not the only one that gets sick from looking at it.

I dont live in a dream world, I value our players for what they are worth.

Again, All I am saying is the overwhelming consensus around the hockey world is Luongo will not fetch anything more than cap relief if we are lucky,

if gillis has to take a bad contract in return the trade will not happen which explains the lack of urgency.

I would say its a 75% chance we have both goalies in training camp.

The only hockey trade proposals come from CDC.

I have seen nothing publicized outside the Provence of BC that says Luongo will fetch anything that will directly help the Canucks next season

In other words you don't really know how the contract is structured, when the salary drops off, what the buyout is, or that it was designed as a cap circumvention... but you have stated an opinion that it is an awful contract - unmovable - makes Luongo worthless and the saga will never end?

You stated a pretty strong criticism and devaluation of Luongo - based on his contract - if you can't look at it there's not much point discussing it, and I can't consider your opinion informed or take it seriously.

If you are a Canucks fan, you should look at it - you won't feel so bad.

Archived