The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Maple Leafs might not be so desperate for Luongo after all

NuxFan09

How are your proposals more credible than his? It's a consensus or an educated guess more than anything.

I hate the leafs, but for Burke to give anything significant to Van for a contract like that would be brain dead! Losing that contract would be a huge win for Vancouver, but it ain't happening.

Luongo will not be traded for this reason.

This saga will not end this summer.

In other words you don't really know how the contract is structured, when the salary drops off, what the buyout is, or that it was designed as a cap circumvention... but you have stated an opinion that it is an awful contract - unmovable - makes Luongo worthless and the saga will never end?

You stated a pretty strong criticism and devaluation of Luongo - based on his contract - if you can't look at it there's not much point discussing it, and I can't consider your opinion informed or take it seriously.

If you are a Canucks fan, you should look at it - you won't feel so bad.

Refer to my post on page 2 of this thread. Richards and Carter's contract are worse than Lui's, and they both got moved (Carter twice in the same year) for what I would say were significant assets & picks.

And if you did actually look at Lui's contract, you'd know that his cap hit is very reasonable, there are two trade windows (one at Lui's option and one at the teams option), and that the bulk of the money will be paid by about year 8...just about 5 years from now. Lui would likely call it a day and retire by this point, meaning the rest of the contract come off the teams cap.

So when one of the top goalies in the league, who carries a very manageable cap hit of $5.3 Million and who will likely only play for another 5 years or so anyways is available, I have a hard time believing that Burke, or any other GM (hi Stevie and Dale) that can solve their goaltending concerns in one fell swoop with this deal, wouldn't roll the dice and sweeten the pot a little.

I hope you are all right, I just take in and express what I am seeing from various sources.

Luongo is not as valuable as Carter and Richards or Nash

If he had 1/2 the value teams in the league would try to make room for him. not just Toronto and Fla

If he is good enough to fetch 2 young prospects and a roster player like people on here are saying there would be a full out bidding war for him.

Most people on here think he is a top 5 Goalie, that leaves 25 other teams that could upgrade by snapping up Luongo.

2 teams maybe 3 are mildly interested.

I just wish people would stop setting them selves up for dissapointment.

Its really annoying.

Do you beleve in god?

I want quotes from the bible that made you believe!!

Come on man. Im not going to google around the internet to find quotes from everyone that says Luongo will only fetch capspace.

Think what you want

I hope you are correct.

It was a rhetorical point.

"I just take in and express what I am seeing from various sources."

What you seem to have missed is the fact that virtually the entire hockey world is saying that the Leafs are desperate for a veteran goaltender, actually more specifically Luongo - and yet you have hung up on the Luongo is unmovable thing, which is completely uninformed. Even Leafs homers are stating that Luongo to Toronto is inevitable. Read the post above yours. Burke is the only person in the hockey world denying it (and no one buys that posturing/bargaining pitch) - even his assistant has publicly stated that they need a veteran. I hope they are wrong - I don't want to see Luongo in Toronto - but regardless, his value is far from a salary dump, considering his salary is a relative bargain by any comparable terms - your claim that no one will take him, that the saga will never end, is dramatic but....ironic, considering you are annoyed by other people's expectations, but your own are so negative, and off the mark.

I hope you are all right, I just take in and express what I am seeing from various sources.

Luongo is not as valuable as Carter and Richards or Nash

If he had 1/2 the value teams in the league would try to make room for him. not just Toronto and Fla

If he is good enough to fetch 2 young prospects and a roster player like people on here are saying there would be a full out bidding war for him.

Most people on here think he is a top 5 Goalie, that leaves 25 other teams that could upgrade by snapping up Luongo.

if Burke is seriously ok with Reimer and Scrivens as his goalies for next season then he's one dumb frack cause that's a downgrade on his last year goaltending duo and it was one of the leagues worst. I call BS on this and it's Burke just trying to not look desperate as there's no way a NHL GM could feel ok with that goaltending duo and have a job. Luongo is now the only option for Toronto and if need be Canucks look at moving Schneider to anyone but Toronto and give a nice jab.

That is hilarious. Mark Spector is your source. Spector is pretty much known as the biggest Canucks troll in the country. I like some of his articles, they have entertainment value, but he's a columnist/opinion writer - not a source. He is an Oilers fan / rival.

Sources outside Vancouver have listed Toronto, Columbus, Chicago, and Florida as interested - what Spector has wrong is the idea that the market has shrunk for the Canucks - the only team off the market is Tampa, who stated all along they wanted a young goaltender (Schneider). On the other hand, the available veteran goaltenders market that has shrunk away entirely - to Luongo only. Anyone who thinks that strengthens Toronto's bargaining position is deluded.

General FYI:

Just had a look at a thread on the Leafs forum regarding Burke's comments of sticking with his current goalies.

http://fans.maplelea...s-if-the-price/

Pretty much all of the posters there are suggesting that the Leafs will finish out of the playoffs (again), and that Burke will be fired if he doesn't acquire a better goalie. This doesn't necessarily mean that they want Luongo, but I didn't see anything which suggests that they want anyone other than Luongo.

In this one there also appears to be a lot of positive thought about acquiring luongo:

http://fans.maplelea...04-goaltending/

Additional thoughts in this thread:

http://fans.mapleleafs.nhl.com/community/index.php?/topic/66724-luongo-to-toronto/page__st__340

regards,

G.

For the OP

As most posters have picked up on, this is a poker game in play at the moment and guys like LeBrun get played. LeBrun obviously knows he is getting used but its part of him keeping his access to GMs - use and be used.

Burke's bluff can be called because he has huge pressure to get this team into the show this year. Worst case scenario for Van we got one of the best tandems in the league.

The Leafs forums are interesting Gollumpus.

They are generally pissed that Burke has backtracked and completely unimpressed by the prospect of Reimer and Scrivens - convinced that failing to acquire Luongo = failure.

The proposals there are generally for three pieces - along the lines of Bozak, Franson, pick / Colborne, Franson, 2013 1st / Connolly, Liles, prospect / or parroting Dreger, the salary dump Komisarek and a bag of pucks variety.

Interesting to track the changes in tone...

Archived