The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Maple Leafs might not be so desperate for Luongo after all

NuxFan09

For the OP

As most posters have picked up on, this is a poker game in play at the moment and guys like LeBrun get played. LeBrun obviously knows he is getting used but its part of him keeping his access to GMs - use and be used.

Burke's bluff can be called because he has huge pressure to get this team into the show this year. Worst case scenario for Van we got one of the best tandems in the league.

bahaha yeah right. Burke is foaming at the mouth for Luongo. He's just trying not to come off as desperate. He knows Reimer and Scrivens can't cut it in a hockey mad place like Toronto. Luongo is their saviour.

I think this is the thing that guys like Spector, Cox and Dreger are missing. Every time I hear them talk about this issue, they always say that Gillis "has" to move a goaltender. I don't believe this to be the case.

It begs the question: What would be more attractive to the Canucks? Another year with the best goaltending tandem in the league, or another defenseman (Komisarek) who makes too much money and will also not be able to crack the top four in Vancouver.

Now if we're talking about a decent prospect, (Schenn, Gardiner, Colborne,etc.) or a first round pick, then we have a starting point. This at least gives Gillis some value in return, plus it frees up some Cap space that he can use to address team needs in other areas.

If Luongo's value is so low, and his ability is so diminished, and his contract is so over-priced, why then would Toronto (or any other team) even consider trying to trade for him? With all of these negatives you and others have suggested, there still seems to be interest in this guy.

So, what can we assume from these various negative comments regarding Luongo? (pick one, or two if you think they both apply):

1.) Burke is a brain dead, mouth breather who doesn't know squat about hockey, in which case you should be mocking Burke for being such a fool.

2.) Burke is trying to make a shrewd move to acquire a guy who could save his team, and to do it for the lowest possible price, and he is getting help from various pundits in the local Toronto media.

regards,

G.

Burke stated that he thinks his team is good enough to make the playoffs every year.

How can he seriously tell the Maple Leafs fans that they are good enough with Reimer and whoever the backup is.

Biggest BS'er of a GM, even more than most.

I can't help but start to feel a little worried about this whole Luongo saga... Look if you asked me 3 months ago what i would take for Luongo i would of said a team just taking that contract for free would be enough..now i think most fans and myself included are feeling a little greedy hoping we can get someone decent for him. There isn't exactly much of a market for Luongo, its basically Toronto and only toronto..i know Florida is out there in the rumors but it just doesn't make any sense IMO with Markstrom there.

I look at Burke as being very stubborn if he can't get it to go his way and feel the same about MG... This could drag out for a very long time.

I don't give a sh*t if the laffs are desperate or not. What I love is how everyone is assuming that we are somehow desperate. If Burke doesn't want Luongo, it's his loss. I'm more than happy to keep Luongo.

We are not desperate like the media makes us out to be. I'm glad Gillis is being patient. I don;t want him to make a move for the sake of making a move.

Luongo to Toronto is a joke...Toronto has no players that are worth trading for or that I would like to see in a Canucks jersey.Toronto is not the team we should be talking trade with.Florida would be a way better choice.Y give Burkie Lu am happy with Toronto not making the playoffs and Burke getting fired.

I can't help but start to feel a little worried about this whole Luongo saga... Look if you asked me 3 months ago what i would take for Luongo i would of said a team just taking that contract for free would be enough..now i think most fans and myself included are feeling a little greedy hoping we can get someone decent for him. There isn't exactly much of a market for Luongo, its basically Toronto and only toronto..i know Florida is out there in the rumors but it just doesn't make any sense IMO with Markstrom there.

I look at Burke as being very stubborn if he can't get it to go his way and feel the same about MG... This could drag out for a very long time.

Luongo to Toronto is a joke...Toronto has no players that are worth trading for or that I would like to see in a Canucks jersey.Toronto is not the team we should be talking trade with.Florida would be a way better choice.Y give Burkie Lu am happy with Toronto not making the playoffs and Burke getting fired.

Burke can't make the playoffs with Remier/Scrivens, and he knows that. He also knows that if he doesn't make the playoffs he will be looking for a job this time next year. So pretty much he's doing what any GM would do, pretending he's not as desperate as he is.

Archived