The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2012-13

canuck2xtreme

Me too...

I think a lot might have to do with the fact that you have a number of high potential young players. NHL13 didn't give those guys a very strong overall, I assume because they are likely to shoot up as they realize that potential.

But even with that, I wasn't expecting a 2-10-0 start :huh:

As GM`s, we all have our favorites... In Boston there isn`t much argument about who the strongest prospect assets are.

Recently we shared a clip or two of Vladamir `Tank` Tarasenko, and today we`ll share our other favorite, quickly developing to a bro-mance:

With a sparkling record to start the season, Robin Lehner tipped the scales towards fan favorite when he got a chance to showcase his passion for the game and his loyalty to his team the other night...

;

Connecticut Whale Prospect Report:

http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-bruins/bruins-talk/Cunningham-making-people-take-notice?blockID=791429&feedID=3352

Cunningham making people take notice

October 21, 2012, 12:48 am

920097.jpg

haggerty_insider_bylines.png

SPRINGFIELD, MA – It’s pretty easy to get lost in the Providence shuffle if your name isn’t Spooner, Knight, Bourque or Caron.

Providence Bruins forward Craig Cunningham was taken in the same 2010 draft class as Tyler Seguin, Ryan Spooner and Jared Knight among others, and he’s largely flown under the radar during his time in the B’s organization. That can happen sometimes in the fast-paced NHL world with hard-working fourth round draft picks.

But the 22-year-old started to catch the eye of Providence’s coaching staff last season when he shifted from center to left wing, and that's continuing this year.

The Trail, British Columbia native – a place that’s also the hometown of Hartford Whalers great Ray Ferraro and former Red Sox outfielder Jason Bay among others – continues to plug along with uncommon steadiness and strength on his skates, a high-effort willingness to play defense and a developing ability to chip in offensively from a bottom-six forward spot.

Those are the kind of qualities that have Providence coach Bruce Cassidy convinced Cunningham might just have a shot at the next level even if he’s only 5-foot-9 and 175 pounds with a workmanlike set of hockey skills.

“He’s been good. At camp we played him at center, but he played his best hockey last year on the wing,” said Cassidy. “He gets his shot off. He goes to the net. His defensive responsibilities aren’t as great because one thing about [Cunningham] is that he has to work to get around on the ice. He’s not a natural skater like [spooner] so [playing at wing] frees him up that way a little bit.

“He’s also a competitive and caring kid. He takes to coaching and he wants to win. We just have to find a line for him like a lot of guys. But I think he’s got a chance to make it. He was a winner in junior [with the Vancouver Giants], so he has a bit of that mentality. He’ll do what it takes.”

Cunningham went back to center for parts of training camp last month when the team needed a few extra centers to make the numbers work, but he’s been back at the wing with the start of the AHL season. Cunningham potted his second goal of the season in Providence’s 3-1 win over the Springfield Falcons at MassMutual Center on Saturday night, and continues to build on a promising second AHL season.

Cunningham finished with 20 goals and 36 points last season, and is looking to improve those totals along with his minus-12 rating from last year. That improvement will start with more time spent around the goalie crease area where he was rewarded with a goal against Springfield, and on the penalty kill where Cunningham was a dogged presence in victory.

<a href="http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-bruins/bruins-talk/Cunningham-making-people-take-notice?blockID=791429&feedID=3352#comments" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(231, 21, 55); ">700832.jpg

“It’s a big weekend for us. All 20 guys both nights really bared down and got strong on the puck,” said Cunningham of Providence sweeping a pair of weekend games against Manchester and Springfield. “We’ve got some older guys this year that can be bigger and stronger on the puck, so we just need to play that way every night.

“I don’t really have a number thing in my head for what I want to achieve this year. I just want to improve all the time. With all the guys in the AHL it’s a great opportunity for guys to show they can play, and just keep improving. I just push ahead every day and try to learn from the guys around me.”

That's apparent when Cunningham keeps popping up in positive plays for Providence over 60 minutes of hockey, and appears to be on an upwardly mobile trend.

It’s clear to anyone watching that Cunningham has made some big improvements heading into this season, and he’s now making a name for himself along with all the other recognizable ones dotting the P-Bruins roster.

The Five Stages of Grief

1. Denial

- "Of course they'll work out a deal. They'd be stupid not to."

2. Anger

- "This is garbage. Bettman is the anti-christ!"

3. Bargaining

- "If we're patient I'm sure they'll figure out how to split that last few million dollars."

4. Depression

5. Acceptance

I believe the silence you hear means we are all in the midst of Stage 4. I'm sure once Stage 5 rolls around things will be more active in here.

^

You have Logan Nelson eh? Nice! He plays for our local WHA club, the Victoria Royals. Last year was their first year in the city, and they fill a nice arena that was previously used by the ECHL team "Victoria Salmon Kings", so it is nice to see the young up and coming talent, more or less rather than the guys that get cut from the NHL/AHL. It was fun though to see Matt Petinger playing in the ECHL a decade after being drafted, and the next day he got called up to fill a void on the Moose and a few days later was playing for the Canucks!! In fairness he had over 400 NHL games during the decade of being in the league, but to be on the ECHL preseason squad and in a few weeks get Canucks ice time must have felt good...he went to Germany for the 10-11 season and i lost track of him after that.

^

You have Logan Nelson eh? Nice! He plays for our local WHA club, the Victoria Royals. Last year was their first year in the city, and they fill a nice arena that was previously used by the ECHL team "Victoria Salmon Kings", so it is nice to see the young up and coming talent, more or less rather than the guys that get cut from the NHL/AHL. It was fun though to see Matt Petinger playing in the ECHL a decade after being drafted, and the next day he got called up to fill a void on the Moose and a few days later was playing for the Canucks!! In fairness he had over 400 NHL games during the decade of being in the league, but to be on the ECHL preseason squad and in a few weeks get Canucks ice time must have felt good...he went to Germany for the 10-11 season and i lost track of him after that.

New York Rangers Prospects Update: Maxim Shalunov!

While the lockout in North America continues, Rangers Prospects around the globe continue to showcase their talent, and Maxim Shalunov is no exception.

Playing in the KHL affiliated leagues, the MHL and the VHL to start this year, Maxim is taking his teenage game to new heights. Still 19 years old, he has put up impressive numbers to start the season over in Russia. 7 points in 9 games with the VHL and 3goals and 5 assists in the MHL (sort of like the AHL to our NHL). The 6'3" 185 pounder is playing it smart this lockout year, as a young man, he is staying close to home, but remains a Blackhawks NHL prospect, with a very bright future on the right wing. Playing for Russia at the Under 20 Challenge Cup of Asia last year, this phenom put up 14 points (9goals 5assists) in just 4 games. With everything to prove to the North American Market, he is still thought to be wanting to make the jump when he is old enough to warrant a real shot in an NHL training camp. I can't wait to see what he brings to the table

Archived