The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2012-13

canuck2xtreme

Ok, OTTS talked me into to posting this..... but here is the show I am producing. Hope you like it. All feedback is welcome.

http://www2.tsn.ca/w...stcentre/#id=69

Last week we covered the Washington Capitals prospects and the WJHC roster.

Hour 1:

Ross Mahoney - Director of Amateur Scotuing Washington Capitals

Kevin Thacker - HockeyProspect.com

Hour 2:

Bill Wilms - Shaw TV Colour man Giants Hockey - 2013 draft prospects

Bob MacKenzie - TSN - WJHC Roster selections

Peter Loubardias - Shaw TV - Memorial Cup and Portland Winterhawks fine

/ This week we are covering Detroit Red Wings prospects with special guest Jim Nill, Assistant GM.

Detroit.

I am cautiously optimistic.

As am I.

My question is why didn't they do this back in August? They've done a LOT of damage here and I don't think they're going to recover the way they did last time. I know I won't be spending my money on NHL products for a long time... I'll watch on TV, hit websites and of course keep CDCGML going... but as for spending money buying their stuff... not happening. Not this season. Not next season either. After that, we'll see..

As am I.

My question is why didn't they do this back in August? They've done a LOT of damage here and I don't think they're going to recover the way they did last time. I know I won't be spending my money on NHL products for a long time... I'll watch on TV, hit websites and of course keep CDCGML going... but as for spending money buying their stuff... not happening. Not this season. Not next season either. After that, we'll see..

As am I.

So we have agreement on 50/50 split of hockey related revenue, check.

We have the players wanting a 5 year deal, the league wanting a ten year deal, imo small issue and not a deal breaker.

We have the league offering 250 million in make whole provisions on existing contracts, while the players want 389 million. For me, this is the most interesting part...the league has tossed in another 50 million to fund pensions...and that intrigues me. I said from the start that the players need to put more emphasis on player safety and player pension funding for the kids that get up there, suffer an early injury in the NHL and for whatever reason don't go on to a long millionaires career....due to injury on the ice. This funding is a nice intro to that. All in all it leaves the sides apart by 139million on the make whole issue, or if you include the 50 million pension funding top up 89million apart. SOMEBODY slide the players down this morning, say reduce their demand to half the distance...using the 140 split, if the players come down half: 70 million then they are only apart by 70m and the league has the ball back in their court. 20 mill if you count the pension...and if say the league tosses 20 mill more into pensions, 250 in make whole and 70 mill in pension top ups...i could see a deal. This is obviously the single biggest issue, hope they get it done today.

Contract lengths: league wants 5 years..players want the status quo...I want to see owners and GM's stopped from their own greed and contracts between entry level and 35+ years of age to be allowed to be whatever they want them to be, so long as no contract goes beyond age 37 unless it is signed by a player who is already 35. I think that is fair to all and respectful of the spirit of the salary cap. Keep the clause that teams are on the hook for all years of a 35+ contract.

EDIT: the league is NOT earning 18 million a day in HRR for each day there is no hockey where there should be. Just for perspective..if they are apart 180 million..that is ten days of hockey. But if the make whole agreement is say 5 years long...that is 50 days of revenue..not profit but revenue that they are argueing about and that is a big deal..won't be easy, but it is doable.

And I have not changed my stance really since the beginning...they aren't really argueing over todays money, they are fighting for tomorrows money. In 2019 3.3 billion of HRR will be 5.1 billion of HRR, so the current players half value of 1.65 billion will baloon to 2.55 billion in about 7 years..that is the money they are fighting over, future HRR will make this current stuff and the stuff of the last lockout season look like chump change. The 7% shift down to 50% the players have already surrendered in 2019 could be 350 million a year in HRR. That is not chump change at all. A billion every 3 years is what 7% represents at the end of this coming CBA if the league continues its good growth.

I`ve said very little about the lockout here, blinded by optimism. I have a little to share, and it involves all of you directly.

I`ve said this, in conversation, about a hundred times since this whole thing failed in mid-september:

"The only thing keeping me even mildy tethered to the NHL is my hockey pool. It`s a great group of guys, its a great game that I believe makes the NHL a better experience for me, and we`ve all put in alot of hard work of our own."

Thank you guys for being awesome and dedicated! I wish they loved us, the way we love them.

Its not about taking sides, scapegoating bettman, calling players spoiled, scrutinizing the corporations and owners, questioning the voting and bargaining system, not anymore. Its all true now, as crap always slowly rises to the surface, and we can all see it. They`ve carelessly squandered everything like children in a tantrum, and ruined the sport. They are the laughing stock of the world of sport. They should all be ashamed of themselves.

Any other business would lose all of their patrons, if they did this to them. It is only OUR own dedication and passion, being quantified as a commodity, that allows them to behave like this, and to even hope to continue afterwards. By definition, WE are being taken advantage of in every way. It is sinking in slowly, as the insult that it truly is.

As of today i recognize that CDCGML is the ONLY reason the NHL is not dead to me. I will never see the NHL in the same light again.

Archived