The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2012-13

canuck2xtreme

Blues Player of the Week

Our Player of the Week is Steve Sullivan.

The Veteran NHLer recorded 4 Goals and 1 Assist and a Total of 24 Pool Points last Week

which makes him our current No.1.

Steve signed a 1 Year Contract with the Blues last Summer and he was supposed to play

on the 3rd Line but his latest efforts and some injuries as well moved him to the 2nd Line.

If he keeps things going , he could be a fixed Top 6 Player during the Season.

sullivan_steve640_640.jpg

Edited with some stats to focus my thoughts.

Last year roughly:

150 players had more than 75 blocks or more all season.

90 of those had more than 100

25 of those had more than 150

the top three were: Josh Gorges 250 , Brett Clark with 199 and Francois Beauchemin 194.

So to recap my post from last year, if 25% of the league gets 75 blocks, then quarter point per block means a difference of 30 or so points by years end for the best blockers...its not that big an issue, but maybe a trophy with bonus points could be used to reward that stat?

On hits...same issue..the top three had 374, 293 and 288, the next 200 ranked players taper down to 100 hits. So if the league average is 100, really only the top end group will significantly outperform the average using quarter points...and giving the top guy 374 points for 374 hits is mad, I don't think Crosby got 374 points last year in our league.

Again, to reward hits and blocks, it would seem easy to me to implement a trophy reward at the end of the year for the top bunch, whateve the cut off would be for that...top 3? top 5?

That is my two cents, sort of a rehash from last years ideas on it..but worth repeating for the new GM's.

If we don't reward hits and blocks at all...i am fine with that too, as it is only natural for some players to have less value than others. There are 600k salaries and there are 7million dollar salaries for a reason.

standingsEastern.png...........standingsWestern.png

......ATLANTIC.....................CENTRAL....

small.png - 364 . . . . . . . . . . . . small.png - 321

small.png - 356 . . . . . . . . . . . . small.png - 308

small.png - 320 . . . . . . . . . . . . small.png - 263

small.png - 286 . . . . . . . . . . . . small.png - 251

small.png - 275 . . . . . . . . . . . . small.png - 181

..NORTHEAST.................NORTHWEST...

2ef5pn7.jpg - 379 . . . . . . . . . . . . small.png - 374

small.png - 320 . . . . . . . . . . . . small.png - 327

small.png - 315 . . . . . . . . . . . . small.png - 291

small.png - 269 . . . . . . . . . . . . small.png - 228

small.png - 268 . . . . . . . . . . . . small.png - 211

...SOUTHEAST...................PACIFIC.......

small.png - 468 . . . . . . . . . . . . small.png - 397

small.png - 406 . . . . . . . . . . . . small.png - 369

small.png - 331 . . . . . . . . . . . . small.png - 256

small.png - 290 . . . . . . . . . . . . small.png - 226

small.png - 95 . . . . . . . . . . . . . small.png - 195

I was just looking on NHL.COM and it seems odd but the average team has only played 5 games...So I wouldn't get too comfortable at the top, and I wouldn't despair if your near the bottom of your division either, 5 games, as any scientist will tell you is not a large enough sample size, but obviously trends are setting in. Best of luck to all, and as usual, this will be updated at least every monday...usually two or three times a week if I have time. Cheers.

Edited with some stats to focus my thoughts.

Last year roughly:

150 players had more than 75 blocks or more all season.

90 of those had more than 100

25 of those had more than 150

the top three were: Josh Gorges 250 , Brett Clark with 199 and Francois Beauchemin 194.

So to recap my post from last year, if 25% of the league gets 75 blocks, then quarter point per block means a difference of 30 or so points by years end for the best blockers...its not that big an issue, but maybe a trophy with bonus points could be used to reward that stat?

On hits...same issue..the top three had 374, 293 and 288, the next 200 ranked players taper down to 100 hits. So if the league average is 100, really only the top end group will significantly outperform the average using quarter points...and giving the top guy 374 points for 374 hits is mad, I don't think Crosby got 374 points last year in our league.

Again, to reward hits and blocks, it would seem easy to me to implement a trophy reward at the end of the year for the top bunch, whateve the cut off would be for that...top 3? top 5?

That is my two cents, sort of a rehash from last years ideas on it..but worth repeating for the new GM's.

If we don't reward hits and blocks at all...i am fine with that too, as it is only natural for some players to have less value than others. There are 600k salaries and there are 7million dollar salaries for a reason.

I am going to go look at that now...its interesting to me for sure

and i have a sneaky idea to get around the pay per use cutoff of more than 12 teams

We can do east west divisions, two per fantrax login...and voila we have three free fantrax's and we do the compiled updates on here for folks that are too lazy to log into all three to check out scores. ;) where there is a cheapskate, there is a free way!

I am going to go look at that now...its interesting to me for sure

and i have a sneaky idea to get around the pay per use cutoff of more than 12 teams

We can do east west divisions, two per fantrax login...and voila we have three free fantrax's and we do the compiled updates on here for folks that are too lazy to log into all three to check out scores. ;) where there is a cheapskate, there is a free way!

Some do yes, some don't. What I meant though was that just like a real team has players worth millions and players worth not so much, our teams will have players on the roster that are more or less worthless to our pool and players who are worth their weight in gold to our pool....

So any changes to the rules that affect the value of gold vs the value of led need to be well thought out before being implemented. If we are inflating the value of about 20 key hitters and 20 key blockers with the new rule...then it is unfair to teams that don't own the specific players who typically are in those top ranks. If that makes sense. LIke Brooks Orpik, from your screen capture: i think he is worth a million on that list...but if he is suddently earning points for hits and blocks, the team in CDCGML that owns Orpick all of a sudden has a 3million dollar player signed for just 1 million. That is something that will be tricky to work around.

I am okay with change and okay with staying the same, but it is interesting to look at and consider from all sides.

It may be only a week in, but the Lightning are finally trending in the right direction, joining the top-10 for the first time in forever. Thanks largely in part to Patrick Marleau's fast start and contributions from newcomers Hedman, Oduya, and Brunner, we hope to continue at this pace for an extended period of time.

Tampa's 3 stars of the week.

1. Patrick Marleau

2. Carey Price

3. Victor Hedman

Some do yes, some don't. What I meant though was that just like a real team has players worth millions and players worth not so much, our teams will have players on the roster that are more or less worthless to our pool and players who are worth their weight in gold to our pool....

So any changes to the rules that affect the value of gold vs the value of led need to be well thought out before being implemented. If we are inflating the value of about 20 key hitters and 20 key blockers with the new rule...then it is unfair to teams that don't own the specific players who typically are in those top ranks. If that makes sense. LIke Brooks Orpik, from your screen capture: i think he is worth a million on that list...but if he is suddently earning points for hits and blocks, the team in CDCGML that owns Orpick all of a sudden has a 3million dollar player signed for just 1 million. That is something that will be tricky to work around.

I am okay with change and okay with staying the same, but it is interesting to look at and consider from all sides.

this. And same goes for cutting PIMs in half or more. The beauty of this league is (i think) that we negotiate our own contracts with players, and that they aren't automatically worth the same as what capgeek says they are, this is something I like alot about this league---researching players value, based on the scoring system we have in place. Although I too am not against any potential future changes, I would suggest that there be a fairly lengthy warning period. If pims are too high in the league for goons, maybe eliminating points for the 10min misconducts would work... that would prevent guys (like Clowe lastnight) from collecting 35points from pims alone...

Thanks for the clarification guys. I think this is a pretty good league structure other than rewarding goons like Clowe...Could be just my own bias of not thinking those guys should ever be seen as positives for that behavior so the question of good PIMS vs bad PIMS comes into play in my own mind I guess. I don't care enough in terms of league scoring to dive into the stats so if you guys say it doesn't make a difference in the league at the end of the day I will certainly believe you...But honestly some combination of offense and PIMS is really the predominant team building strategy here as defense-only players often have very high contracts but limited actual value in the point scoring system. If you wanted to build a defence first team that does not rely on goons it is probably more likely that you will end up closer to the bottom of the league even with some premier defensive players on your team.

A lot of guys in the NHL are extremely overpaid too :lol:

I honestly like the uniqueness of our league and the many different strategies GM's use to build their teams, imo not many changes are needed but there is always room for improvement, which is another great thing about our league Curt adds new and better elements every year. Thanks again c2x!!

Archived