The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2012-13

canuck2xtreme

Volpatti is more of a final straw kind of thing. He's been better than Weise, brought energy, had some really good games, and yet is pulled from the lineup in favour of Dale Weise, who has definitely not outperformed Volpatti. Weise can kill penalties?? Big deal... he brings almost nothing else to the table, and we have lots of players who kill penalties.

But for the most part, it's because since Game 6 of the 2011 Stanley Cup final, this team has played with almost zero passion, zero energy, zero urgency.... almost every game they look like they're just going through the motions. I'm getting tired of watching our team, who should be a top contender, losing games they should win and just barely winning games they should dominate. I'm tired of watching us play down to the level of teams like Calgary, Edmonton or Columbus. I'm tired of watching them get a quick 2 goal lead, assume the game is in the bag and phone in the rest of the game, giving up said 2 goal lead and ending up losing the game. I'm tired of having that feeling of being down 3-2 with 10 minutes to go and knowing the odds are pretty good that even if we get some pressure, 4 out of 5 times, we won't get that goal to tie it. I'm tired of being surprised when we actually do get that goal, and after that, I'm tired of being let down by a weak goal against late, in OT, or watching yet another hapless Canucks shootout.

The last year, my argument against firing Vigneault was simply that if you fire Alain Vigneault, the best coach available will be Alain Vigneault. But with Lindy Ruff now available as an option, that's no longer the case. Both good coaches, but like Ruff in Buffalo, perhaps AVs message just isn't getting through anymore. Our team always seems constantly under-prepared, unmotivated and uninspired. Our sheer talent level has gotten us through for the most part. You have to be good to be lucky? To a point, but luck favours the prepared. Far too often, we are not. This should be unacceptable for a team with Stanley Cup aspirations.

I'm tired of watching a team capable of being great settle for being average. "Good enough" shouldn't be good enough.

I also think that if all the Canucks are going to do is tinker with the 4th line (that will not play more than 6 min per game in the playoffs anyway) then it will be a long summer again. Where are the bold moves? More importantly, where is the confident and inspired play from this team?

As a die hard fan I hate feeling this way but it almost seems like getting to game 7 of the up final really is seens as good enough to this group......and that is sad.

I always had the feeling with those West Coast Express teams that we would score late in the game if down by one or two. I agree, we don't have that now.

MG has two choices.... 1) Make a trade to improve the team in it's obvious and well publicized weakness, or 2) Fire the coach.

If he doesn't do either of these then ownership should exercise Option 3.

I do agree that Volpatti should've been kept over Weise, he brings much more to the table on the 4th line for sure, at the end of the day I'm sure that was MG's call though, not AV's.

I honestly think that AV is doing as good as he can with the skill level he has been provided with, we just aren't as good as we were 2-3 years ago, plain and simple, combined with the improvement of other teams in the West, we aren't going to win as many games as we have the past two years. A goalie needs to be moved(honestly don't care which at this point) to improve our forward group as it is very clear that we are lacking a dynamic player up front, and without an addition I can't see this group getting past the 2nd round, we'll struggle big time to score in the playoffs with what we have now.

If you took into account a healthy Canucks lineup, I still believe that we are one top 6 forward away from being legitimate contenders. As much as I appreciated Chris Higgins's work ethic, he is not a top 6 forward. He's a great bottom 6 forward that will bring a great forecheck and kill penalties for you, but he's not a consistent goal scorer, which is what we need right now, otherwise Kesler's line would've become the helicopter line again because there's no wings on said line. Right now, with the way we've been playing, we're a glorified 2nd round playoff team. I think that Jason Garrison has not exactly panned out as planned either, although he has picked up his play a bit as of late. We still can not seem to find that one defenseman that can play the right side. According to our failure of a group that is our pro scouts, Garrison was touted as being able to fill that role...fail on them, and Gillis as well for signing him to that term based abomination of a contract only to have to force him onto the 3rd pairing...Gillis also has to cut the crap here with the two goalie system, swallow his pride and mentioning how Cory and Lu sing kumbaya after every practice and before every game because they're so happy together, and trade one of them for piece(s) that will help this team win now. Make no mistake, this team has probably two more years TOPS of having that window of winning the Cup. We clearly need an impact player up front, or at least needing to unload some salary to have flexbility to do something moving forward.

I think there is a lot of frustration by the fans and this is more so results oriented, however as much as one can try and justify some of the team's moves of late. It just doesn't feel right, something is coming to fruition whether it be something roster related or even coaching related. Something it feels is about to happen.

I think there is a lot of frustration by the fans and this is more so results oriented, however as much as one can try and justify some of the team's moves of late. It just doesn't feel right, something is coming to fruition whether it be something roster related or even coaching related. Something it feels is about to happen.

Archived