The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2012-13

canuck2xtreme

DUCKS RE-SIGN SELANNE TO ONE-YEAR, $4.5 MILLION CONTRACT

141479392-430x296.jpg

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Teemu Selanne says he's far from finished with hockey, and the Anaheim Ducks are grateful he's still not feeling his age.

The 42-year-old Selanne agreed Thursday to a one-year, $4.5 million deal with the Ducks to return for the 20th NHL season of his remarkable career.

Selanne could end up being the NHL's oldest active player next season, yet he shows no signs of slowing after leading the Ducks in scoring last season. Only Gordie Howe ever scored more points as a 41-year-old than Selanne's 66 last season, and Selanne sees no reason he shouldn't keep going.

"Sometimes, age is just a number," Selanne said in a phone interview while on vacation in Italy. "Age is a funny thing. A lot of times, I don't really feel 42. It's just a number. It all depends on how you feel."

The Finnish Flash's real numbers are much more impressive: Selanne is the 19th-leading scorer in NHL history with 1,406 points in two decades spent mostly in Anaheim, his home for parts of 13 seasons. The right wing is 12th in league history with 663 goals, and could crack the top 10 with another strong season.

"I just enjoy the game so much," Selanne said. "I still feel I have something to give."

Selanne has been with the Ducks for the past seven years, winning the Stanley Cup in 2007. Although he has contemplated retirement every off-season since raising the Cup, his latest return to the Ducks has been widely expected after he played all 82 games -- the oldest player in NHL history to do that -- without injuries.

"It was a little bit easier than last year," said Selanne, who needed off-season knee surgery a year ago. "Last year, I had my knee and wasn't sure if I was able to play again. I just enjoy the game so much."

He's in the middle of a long summer break after Anaheim missed the playoffs, but the Ducks surged in the second half of the year under new coach Bruce Boudreau. Selanne was impressed by Boudreau's energy and management technique, and he believes the Ducks are ready for a rebound after winning just one post-season round in the past five seasons since their championship.

"Our team, we want to win again, so that was a part of my decision, too," Selanne said. "I truly believe we have all the pieces. We obviously have some unfinished business from last year, and I can't wait to start the season again."

Selanne could be the NHL's senior player this winter if goalie Dwayne Roloson -- nine months older than Selanne -- remains unsigned, although 47-year-old Czech goalie Dominik Hasek is entertaining the prospect of an NHL comeback.

Yet Selanne's production, enthusiasm and fitness have remained incredibly steady as he advances into his 40s. He has scored at least 25 goals in six of his last seven seasons with Anaheim, and Selanne was the NHL's eighth-leading scorer in 2010-11 with 80 points.

The Ducks gave him a raise from last season's $4 million deal, although it's not about money at this point for Selanne. He has a comfortable life in Orange County with his wife and four children, who have always encouraged him to keep playing.

"I think we're all enjoying this moment right now, and my boys are happy," Selanne said. "My family has been so supportive. It's another season, and they're so excited about it."

Selanne's teammates also were thrilled to hear the news, with left wing Bobby Ryan tweeting: "That ageless wonder number 8 still doing it for one more year! What a beauty to be around. He's not bad either!"

Devante Smith-Pelly, Selanne's 20-year-old teammate, was even more succinct: "One more year! One more year!"

:towel::towel:

A HUGE sigh of relief for the Jets, as we really needed Teemu on board this season!

CDCGML Insider!!

- Alex Semin is still paring down his list of teams, and it looks like he could end up somewhere on the west coast. A deal could go down as soon as Friday.

- A number of free agents have spurned offers from a handful of teams citing stability as a concern. It seems as though that with some teams, the higher likelihood of being traded has started to play a role in the mindsets of the players considering where to take their services when considering free agent offers.

- Rumour mill is hot that GM Brunners may be on his way out in Anaheim as early as the weekend and that the club may be considering candidates for the potentially available General Managers position.

- It sounds as though free agent defencemen Shane O'Brien may be nearing a decision.

- A big trade could be coming down the pipe involving Dallas and a high profile Eastern Conference team.

Go20Green20Get20Green20Logo_rgb.jpg

GoGreen$ Sports and Entertainment is excited to announce that a press conference will be held tomorrow morning at 10 am.

It is expected that both Marty Brodeur and Alexander Semin will make their official announcements regarding their professional futures.

Tune in for some friday morning excitement with Agent Green!

off topic, but is 'go green get green' from the bc hydro thing? haha..if so I wanted to say I signed up for the 75 dollar challenge to save 10% of my previous years energy use over the coming year: changed every light to LED and turned down my hot water tank: first bill and I am saving over 20%, yay..should be able to save some green and get some green next April.

edit: oh and the savings are on target to pay for the lighting purchase in 10 months time..and LED's last about 25 years each.

The hostel I am staying at in Madrid for the next couple of days has free internet!

If anyone has any trade inquiries now would be a good time to msg me.

Current Lineup:

Evander Kane - Pavel Datsyuk - Patrik Elias

Sam Gagner - Kyle Turris - Chris Kreider

Matt Halischuk - Jacob Josefson - Jordin Tootoo

Jamie Langenbrunner - Boyd Gordon - Zack Kassian

Dan Carcillo

Tobias Enstrom - Keith Yandle

Kyle Quincey - Roman Hamrlik

Mark Fayne - Matt Carkner

Ryan Ellis

Miikka Kiprusoff

Devan Dubnyk

The Caps are in the market for some goal scoring. We are happy to take on larger contracts as long as the expire at seasons end. PM me if any of you have any players that fit the bill.

Signing :

GO Green$ Sports and Entertainment is excited to announce that Alexander Semin has elected to sign with:

http://www.google.ca...154&tx=70&ty=29

The San Jose Sharks!

Alexander came to terms with SJS, with a 3 year 20.5 million dollar contract (6.75m per season), a full NMC for two years, and a limited NMC in the final year (in which the player may choose 3 teams).

Signing :

GO Green$ Sports and Entertainment is excited to announce that Martin Brodeur has elected to sign with:

http://www.google.ca...9,r:4,s:0,i:148

The Nashville Predators!

Marty came to terms with NAS, with a 3 year 16.5 million dollar contract (5.5m per season), including a limited NMC (in which player may choose 5 teams in the 13-14 season).

Archived