The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2012-13

canuck2xtreme

Here is an interesting list (to the Isles anyway) of the top ranked prospects in each system. Although I disagree with a couple of them I think it's a fair list.

http://bleacherrepor...e-it-to-the-nhl

Below I have summarized the list to save you from the slideshow. In BOLD are the prospects belonging to the Isles.

Anaheim Ducks: Emerson Etem

Boston Bruins: Dougie Hamilton

Buffalo Sabres: Joel Armia

Calgary Flames: Sven Bartschi

Carolina Hurricanes: Ryan Murphy

Chicago Blackhawks: Brendan Saad

Colorado Avalanche: Duncan Siemens

Columbus Blue Jackets: Ryan Murray

Dallas Stars: Radek Faksa

Detroit Red Wings: Brendan Smith

Edmonton Oilers: Nail Yakupov

Florida Panthers: Jonathan Huberdeau

Los Angeles Kings: Tyler Toffoli

Minnesota Wild: Mikael Granlund

Montreal Canadiens: Alex Galchenyuk

Nashville Predators: Ryan Ellis

New Jersey Devils: Alexander Urbom

New York Islanders: Ryan Strome

New York Rangers: Chris Kreider

Ottawa Senators: Mika Zibanejad

Philadelphia Flyers: Brandon Manning

Phoenix Coyotes: Brandon Gormley

Pittsburgh Penguins: Joseph Morrow

San Jose Sharks: Freddie Hamilton

St. Louis Blues: Vladimir Tarasenko

Tampa Bay Lightning: Vladislav Namestnikov

Toronto Maple Leafs: Joe Colborne

Vancouver Canucks: Nicklas Jensen

Washington Capitals: Evgeny Kuznetsov

Winnipeg Jets: Mark Scheifele

With the signing of center Derek Mackenzie here is the updated Red Wings Roster:

Curt, could you please update my team page?

Detroit Red Wings:

Zach Parise - Jamie Benn - Patrick Sharp

Scott Hartnell - Saku Koivu - Daniel Alfredsson

Mark Letestu - Dave Bolland - Trevor Lewis

Cody McCormick - Derek Mackenzie - Matt Bradley

Lennart Petrell

Dustin Byfuglein - Brent Seabrook

James Wisniewski - Toni Lydman

Rusty Klesla - Brett Clark

Jim Vandermeer - Matt Corrente

Jonathan Quick

Jhonas Enroth

Victoria Secret:

Ryan Howse - Andreas Engqvist - Maxim Mayorov

Ludvig Rensfeldt - Brock Nelson -

Teemu Laakso - Charles-Olivier Roussel

Sebastien Erixon

Mark Visentin

Found this pleasant note on J Moore, COlumbus Dman that occupies a spot in my future plans for the Rangers.

Columbus defenseman

John Moore

was a minus-20 in the second half of the 2011-12 season. Moore also struggled offensively with only one assist in the last 26 games so fatigue may have been a factor as the 21-year-old was expected to play in the AHL all season but instead led the Blue Jacket rearguards with 67 games played. He had two goals and seven points this past season but look for him to become a 35-40 point player eventually in the NHL as the former first round pick has plenty of offensive potential. (

Source:

Columbus Dispatch)

Well, its official folks.

Nashville Predators Match Offer Sheet To Captain Shea Weber

Tuesday, 07.24.2012 / 2:51 PM / News

By Press Release - Nashville Predators

Nashville, Tenn. (July 24, 2012) – In the most important hockey transaction in franchise history, Nashville Predators Chairman Tom Cigarran, President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile and CEO Jeff Cogen announced today that the team has matched the 14-year, $110 million offer sheet between the Philadelphia Flyers and defenseman Shea Weber, insuring that the Predators' captain will remain with the franchise for the next 14 years.

2012NHLAwards_WeberPoileRinne_hpg.jpgThe decision to enter into the largest contract in franchise history was made by all parts of the organization, including ownership, hockey operations and business operations.

As the organization analyzed the overall situation and worked toward a conclusion, the decision boiled down to three questions:

- Was Shea Weber the individual that this franchise wanted to lead our team, a team that would compete for the Stanley Cup every year, for the next 14 years?

- Would matching the offer sheet be in the best long-term interest of the team and organization?

- Would a decision not to match the offer sheet send a negative message to current Predators players and other NHL organizations, a message that the Predators would only go so far to protect its best players and be pushed around by teams with "deep pockets?"

The answer to each of the above questions is clearly “yes.” The organization spent the last several days analyzing all aspects of the offer sheet, from economic implications to the impact on the team hockey operations puts on the ice.

Most importantly was the reaction to whatever decision the organization reached and the impact it would have on our fans, sponsors and marketing partners. We wanted to insure that our decision reflected not just the feelings of these groups but also conveys a strong message to them that our actions would speak for us and demonstrate our commitment to them. It was absolutely essential that they understand and believe that we are doing everything possible to ice a Stanley Cup competing team each and every season.

With this decision behind us, we continue to focus on our mission: Develop Bridgestone Arena into the number one sports and entertainment facility in North America with a Stanley Cup-winning Nashville Predators team as the centerpiece. With Shea Weber in the fold for the next 14 years, we are closer to this mission, and will continue to contend for the Stanley Cup on an annual basis.

Cigarran, Poile and Cogen will be available for a media conference tomorrow at 1 p.m. CT on the Bridgestone Arena concourse to discuss the organization's decision.

There will be no further comment from the Predators until Wednesday's media conference.

WOW, I am personally shocked, but with the very good arguments I read in this thread for why they should or rather had to sign him..I will stand corrected on my prediction. I am just shocked right now. First thought is they trade him in 12months time, but we will see how he reacts to the long term situation i guess. Glad the owner decided he had deep pockets.

Grats to the Preds and their fans. I hope things continue in the right direction.

I think they've made the right move.

Also, congrats to Colin Wilson on his 3 year contract extension this morning, we feel it will be a steal for the Preds, and a big part of our group moving forward.

WOW, I am personally shocked, but with the very good arguments I read in this thread for why they should or rather had to sign him..I will stand corrected on my prediction. I am just shocked right now. First thought is they trade him in 12months time, but we will see how he reacts to the long term situation i guess. Glad the owner decided he had deep pockets.

I just can't see Nashville trading him after one season, since they'll be cutting him a few cheques worth $27m within that calender year...

What a giant gamble Weber and his agents took. And it looks like it didn't pay off in terms of playing where he wants to play. And while it paid off monetarily, he'd have hit the jackpot as a UFA next year anyways.

Hopefully for Nashville's sake, he doesn't pout. Oh well, if he does, 14 years isn't such a long time...

I just can't see Nashville trading him after one season, since they'll be cutting him a few cheques worth $27m within that calender year...

What a giant gamble Weber and his agents took. And it looks like it didn't pay off in terms of playing where he wants to play. And while it paid off monetarily, he'd have hit the jackpot as a UFA next year anyways.

Hopefully for Nashville's sake, he doesn't pout. Oh well, if he does, 14 years isn't such a long time...

I'm thinking more that perhaps, they may get a ton more as far as assets go if they wait a year to trade him to a potential larger pool of teams who would be willing to take on the contract. The $27m is of course the chief reason why they probably won't at this stage, or even a year after, but, there's still a possibility, even if remote, that some team is willing to give the shirts off their back for him next year, which could set the Preds up nicely with a veritable basket of franchise type goodies. Maybe a contender goes for the 1st overall pick to send it Nashville's way and then some? Just thinking out loud of course. Anyways, it's essentially over with now, for at least a year, and we can all move on, thankfully.

I think that if I was Poile and I wanted to maximize my return vs. expenditures on Shea Weber I would not consider trading him until exactly between the end of the 2013-14 season and July 1st, 2014.

On July 1st, 2013 the Preds will have paid Weber $26 million for one year of service and will be hard pressed to recover that cost via trade as there is no provision to put straight cash into your pocket.

Until June 30, 2014 the Preds will have paid Weber $27 million for two years and will have the ability to recover virtually the same trade asset value.

Savvy?

Archived