The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2012-13

canuck2xtreme

I haven't tested this out myself but I heard from a commish in a different league that there really isn't an option to do a fantasy draft for all 30 teams. I don't know if the same thing applies to making up 30 teams with specific players. If you want, I can look into it tonight.

I haven't tested this out myself but I heard from a commish in a different league that there really isn't an option to do a fantasy draft for all 30 teams. I don't know if the same thing applies to making up 30 teams with specific players. If you want, I can look into it tonight.

Yes there is B)

Building our league as we speak

The owners clamouring to sign guys to ludicrous contracts (Lehtonen and Lucic 6 mil per???) makes them look stupid and greedy to be honest. I believe that the owners have a point in what they are asking for in the grand scheme of things but they are also showing that they cannot restrain themselves which is a huge part of the problem in the first place.

The NHLPA probably wanted a lockout just as much as the owners. I mean, just look at all the NHLPA friendly contracts that have been signed in the last few days.....

Pretty pathetic for the guys who work in the arenas, etc. to get fracked out of their livelihood over this needless BS though.....that part REALLY pisses me off.

Since it is about a year since I took over this team I thought it would be cool to give everyone an idea of the changes I have made in that time......even I didn't realize just how much my team has changed....wow.

Updated Minnesota Lineup

Dany Heatley-Nicklas Backstrom(A)-Jeff Carter

Mikael Granlund-Travis Zajac(Cpt)-Devin Setoguchi

Curtis Glencross-Frans Nielsen-JT Brown

Daniel Paille-Andrew Shaw-Jack Skille

Keith Ballard(A)-Andrei Markov

Jordan Leopold-Andrew MacDonald

Ian Cole-Justin Braun

Ilya Bryzgalov

Henrik Karlsson

Kootenay Ice

Kyle Beach-Max Reinhart-Bobby Butler

Pat Maroon-Max Sauve-Jimmy Hayes

Matt Fraser-Paul Byron-Taylor Beck

Matt Kassian, Jesper Fast

Brandon Gormley-Alex Urbom

Thomas Hickey-Steven Kampfer

David Warsofsky-Taylor Chorney

Martin Jones

Connor Knapp

Unsigned Players

Alexander Khokhlachev

Rickard Rakell

Alexander Ruutu

Mark McNeill

JT Miller

Matt Puempel

Ryan Murray

Hampus Lindholm

Dalton Thrower

Mark Jankowski

Damon Severson

Black denotes players already on the team when I took over as GM

Red denotes players I brought in via trade

Green denotes players I signed as free agents

Blue denotes players I brought in via waiver wire acquisition

Orange are players I drafted

Here is the opening night roster from last season which was one day before I took over the team.....

Forwards:

C. Glenncross | Niklas Backstrom | D. Setoguchi

J. Ward | Brad Boyes | D Perron *IR

R. Jones | Matias Ritola | K. Wilson

B. Butler | P. Maroon | Mark Mancari

D:

Kubina | Stralman

Volchenkov | Gleason

Leopold | Chorney

Steven Kampfer ** IR

Goal:

Bryzgalov

Clemmenson

Assigned to Farm:

F Chris Vandevelde

F Kyle Beach

F Brandon Segal

D Thomas Hickey

D Matt Taormina

D Arturs Kulda

D Justin Braun

G M.Jones

G C. Knapp

Thoughts on the job I did in my 1st year?

I am normally very pro labour..and even in this case I wish the league commish would back down a lot in his clawback of wages...but it has to be said that a 17 or 18% rollback for millionaire employees is different than for a guy feeding 4 kids and paying a mortgage at 'sane' rates of pay. The player isn't hurt by this rollback by any means, it is not a financial hardship....and so i don't really care about the rollback

Also, 17% paycut over 5 or 6 years is...the same as a lost seasons full pay...so if you scrap the season to fight over it and end up clawing back even 2% next summer in an agreement...your now out 102% over seven years vice out just 100 over 7 years. SOmehing to think about. At some point no pay for x months will equal the amount your fighting over over 5 or 6 years...whats it really worth ?

Getting caught up in the size of the numbers is meaningless. Almost every one of the players is overpaid, I'm not arguing that at all.

But if you gave back 24% of your salary to get back to work 7 years ago, and since then the company has posted record profits every year for 7 straight years, explain to me why exactly you should be forced to give back money again?? Business went up, not down. There's more money in the pot, not less.

How much the players salary is, no matter how ridiculous, is completely irrelevant. It's the principal of the matter. If business grows and makes more money, how can anyone justify saying "we need you to take a pay cut"? If the company you worked for was doing well, bringing in record profits year after year after year, would you like it if your bosses said to you, "look, you're going to have to take a pay cut"

Player salaries and salary escalation are not the problems, as the NHL wants you to think it is. The problem is incompetent and irresponsible management. The owners and GMs of teams are the ones offering this money. If, as Gary Bettman says, they feel they are paying too much money to the players, there's a simple solution that doesn't require this ridiculous lockout nonsense: STOP OFFERING RIDICULOUS CONTRACTS!!! If the owners are so united that they're willing to carpet bomb every bit of progress they've made in the last 7 years (because make no mistake, the fans aren't just heartbroken this time, we're p****ed off...) just to save a few million bucks, surely they'd be united enough to just say "hey, this kind of player is only worth this much tops, and no team will offer more than that."

If they can't do that, this whole lockout song and dance is pointless. Because no matter what system the league eventually implements, as soon as the thing is ratified, teams will have people working on how to squeeze the most out of it, how to jump through the loopholes, etc.... anything to get a competitive edge. This signing spree right before the deadline proves it. They all cry poor, we can't keep going in this system (you know, the one they cancelled an entire season to get before proclaiming that this was the one that would provide long term stability and ensure every team can survive... sound familiar?) and that teams are losing money hand over fist. But then they turn around and hand over long term deals, many of which are WAY above what the player likely is worth, in a panic to get them in before the rules are changed.

The really frustrating part? If Phoenix had been moved as it should have been (and still should be) and Columbus was moved, we wouldn't be in this mess. Seriously. Can't remember where I read it, but that was basically the jist of it. These 2 drowning franchises, because of the system we are in, are basically dragging the rest of the league down with them. If Bettman wasn't so stubborn as to insist on keeping them there when they clearly aren't going to be sustainable, we'd be getting ready for training camp instead of unfollowing @NHL on twitter and ranting on message boards.

WSA,

I like your building process due to the players you kept on as much or more than the players you brought in. I am trying to keep that balance on this team I took over. When I look at last year on the Rangers, I see a team that with even a slight change now and again to the lineup, a small hand on the rudder, may have actually made the playoffs. I figured I didn't want to make drastic changes to that chemistry in the room, but to make a few tweaks and improve. I can't recall your team when you took it over, but keeping key figures is critical, Backstrom, Bryz, Setaguchi, Leopold, are players worthy of keeping around while you build the support units around them. Bryz is a little crazy at time, but all the good goalies are. haha. I hope in a year, I have a very good balance between players I inherited and a rebuild around the core that are worth keeping.

I can't argue with your comment Curt, in principle I completely agree. Even my 'Mitt Romney' style throat cutter, profit by any means necessary drinking buddy agrees, and is with the players on this one. I was just saying if you don't sign the pay reduction, eventually your locked out long enough that you lose all the income your fighting for. If it was just about principle, we wouldn't see hockey for a long long long time. As a fan, I don't care if Crosby makes 10m, 8m or 5m, I just want to see him skate and score in NHL games. So for me, the players do have some of the blame for a cancelled season. Now the entry level players, the lunch pailers, these are the NHL'ers I know...the guys who got their shot and played 30 or 50 games and eventually went on to be dentists, loggers, truckers, construction builders...These are the guys right now that I feel the most sympathy for in the NHLPA, the big dogs want to protect their ability to sign 7 million dollar deals, which is at the expense of the grinders who sign for 700 thousand, when the team average salary is 2.5million. For every crosby deal you need an Adams, Vitale, England and Lovejoy raking in the thousands to balance the Kids enormous contract. I agree the problem does lay with greedy owners and GM's who want to own the all star team, but when it comes to cutting off your nose to spite your face...a 4 month lockout is just as much lost income as a 6 year deal that starts with a 12% pay cut.

Getting caught up in the size of the numbers is meaningless. Almost every one of the players is overpaid, I'm not arguing that at all.

But if you gave back 24% of your salary to get back to work 7 years ago, and since then the company has posted record profits every year for 7 straight years, explain to me why exactly you should be forced to give back money again?? Business went up, not down. There's more money in the pot, not less.

How much the players salary is, no matter how ridiculous, is completely irrelevant. It's the principal of the matter. If business grows and makes more money, how can anyone justify saying "we need you to take a pay cut"? If the company you worked for was doing well, bringing in record profits year after year after year, would you like it if your bosses said to you, "look, you're going to have to take a pay cut"

Player salaries and salary escalation are not the problems, as the NHL wants you to think it is. The problem is incompetent and irresponsible management. The owners and GMs of teams are the ones offering this money. If, as Gary Bettman says, they feel they are paying too much money to the players, there's a simple solution that doesn't require this ridiculous lockout nonsense: STOP OFFERING RIDICULOUS CONTRACTS!!! If the owners are so united that they're willing to carpet bomb every bit of progress they've made in the last 7 years (because make no mistake, the fans aren't just heartbroken this time, we're p****ed off...) just to save a few million bucks, surely they'd be united enough to just say "hey, this kind of player is only worth this much tops, and no team will offer more than that."

If they can't do that, this whole lockout song and dance is pointless. Because no matter what system the league eventually implements, as soon as the thing is ratified, teams will have people working on how to squeeze the most out of it, how to jump through the loopholes, etc.... anything to get a competitive edge. This signing spree right before the deadline proves it. They all cry poor, we can't keep going in this system (you know, the one they cancelled an entire season to get before proclaiming that this was the one that would provide long term stability and ensure every team can survive... sound familiar?) and that teams are losing money hand over fist. But then they turn around and hand over long term deals, many of which are WAY above what the player likely is worth, in a panic to get them in before the rules are changed.

The really frustrating part? If Phoenix had been moved as it should have been (and still should be) and Columbus was moved, we wouldn't be in this mess. Seriously. Can't remember where I read it, but that was basically the jist of it. These 2 drowning franchises, because of the system we are in, are basically dragging the rest of the league down with them. If Bettman wasn't so stubborn as to insist on keeping them there when they clearly aren't going to be sustainable, we'd be getting ready for training camp instead of unfollowing @NHL on twitter and ranting on message boards.

Archived