10335 replies to this topic

#421 SheaWeber6

SheaWeber6

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

Wow, let me just say, with the wonderful commissioner and the amount of respect that is shared between GMs in this league is mind-boggling, and I hope that this will stay the same for the entire life span of this game. :)

#422 canuck2xtreme

canuck2xtreme

Canucks All-Star

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,019 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

Huge improvement,
Sharpahooter must be cringing��

Like he needs another top young player.. :P

CDCGML Commissioner/Winnipeg Jets <---Click For Roster!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Support Canuck Place Childrens Hospice - http://www.canuckplace.org/

This is what hockey should be. A lot of chances, a lot of hitting, no cheap shots, no chirping after whistles."

#423 OurTimeToShine

OurTimeToShine

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,805 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

Well he traded like 3 top young players for that pick.. :lol:

hsrnnl.jpg

Thanks -Vintage Canuck-!!!

#424 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,898 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

@ curt...you forgot to add teemu hartikainen to my roster ;)

bottom lines

sullivan-goc-chimera
hartikainen-mayers-vincour
daugavins

Edited by TheGermanCanuck, 21 June 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#425 canuck2xtreme

canuck2xtreme

Canucks All-Star

• 16,019 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

Stamkos, Malkin, Hall, RNH, Matt Read.... enough already!!! :P

This is what hockey should be. A lot of chances, a lot of hitting, no cheap shots, no chirping after whistles."

#426 canuck2xtreme

canuck2xtreme

Canucks All-Star

• 16,019 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

@ curt...you forgot to add teemu hartikainen to my roster ;)

bottom lines

sullivan-goc-chimera
hartikainen-mayers-vincour
daugavins

Fixed

#427 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,898 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

#428 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,898 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

Stamkos, Malkin, Hall, RNH, Matt Read.... enough already!!! :P

amazing....but if the cap not rises he has to make some moves with 5 open roster spots left

Edited by TheGermanCanuck, 21 June 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#429 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,668 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

Say there is no NHL season next year,
How will we decide the 1st overall pick and the rest of the draft?
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#430 canuck2xtreme

canuck2xtreme

Canucks All-Star

• 16,019 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

I do wonder about the cap next year.... supposedly up to $70 million range, but who knows what will happen with the new CBA.

#431 canuck2xtreme

canuck2xtreme

Canucks All-Star

• 16,019 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

Say there is no NHL season next year,
How will we decide the 1st overall pick and the rest of the draft?

The NHL can't afford another lost season, especially so soon. Along with the fact that it would mean losing all that momentum they figure they gained by having Los Angeles win the Cup, I don't think we'll see a lost season. Maybe the first 6-8 weeks... hopefully none though.

#432 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,898 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

I do wonder about the cap next year.... supposedly up to $70 million range, but who knows what will happen with the new CBA.

i hope they will come to an agreement..another lockout would really suck...no nhl ...no fantasy leagues...double sucks :(

#433 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,668 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

The NHL can't afford another lost season, especially so soon. Along with the fact that it would mean losing all that momentum they figure they gained by having Los Angeles win the Cup, I don't think we'll see a lost season. Maybe the first 6-8 weeks... hopefully none though.

I really hope none,with the nba lockout this year (congrats Miami btw) the NHL gained a lot of momentum.
They would just lose it with any sort of lockout.

#434 canuck2xtreme

canuck2xtreme

Canucks All-Star

• 16,019 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

i hope they will come to an agreement..another lockout would really suck...no nhl ...no fantasy leagues...double sucks :(

If the NHL is locked out, we will still operate. We'll create the league in NHL13 and I'll sim it if I have to :P :lol:

I really don't see why they shouldn't come to an agreement in time. The issues this time around should be far less contentious and while I'm sure there will be some blustering back and forth and some issues that cause problems, I don't see anything worth cutting into/jeopardizing the season over.

#435 y0shi

y0shi

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

Worst lockout ever was the NFL one. Not a single game missed in the regular season, but the fact that I had to worry every day for what I was going to do if there wasn't fantasy football for a season.

CDCGML Posted Image - Tampa Bay Lightning

#436 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,898 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

If the NHL is locked out, we will still operate. We'll create the league in NHL13 and I'll sim it if I have to :P :lol:

I really don't see why they shouldn't come to an agreement in time. The issues this time around should be far less contentious and while I'm sure there will be some blustering back and forth and some issues that cause problems, I don't see anything worth cutting into/jeopardizing the season over.

great idea :towel:

#437 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,668 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Worst lockout ever was the NFL one. Not a single game missed in the regular season, but the fact that I had to worry every day for what I was going to do if there wasn't fantasy football for a season.

I was confident the lockout would end

What we should do for the next nfl season is all the nfl fans in this league should get to gether and have a fantasy league.

#438 canuck2xtreme

canuck2xtreme

Canucks All-Star

• 16,019 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

Curious question....

With reports that Jordan Staal turned down a 10 year contract extension offer (rumoured to be in the $6 million per year range), I keep hearing from various places that Carolina is his destination of choice to play with his brother Eric.

Last season, filling in as 2nd line center with Crosby out most of the year, Staal hit 25 goals and 50 points, despite not getting the prime opportunities afforded a top center with Malkin around scoring in bunches. His playoff performance was what stood out, 6 goals and 9 points in 6 games, and a +2 rating in a first round series that was completely devoid of anything resembling defensive play.

Eric Staal was the go to guy in Carolina, but only managed 24 goals, outpaced by his younger brother. He did hit 70 points on the year but 70-80 points seems to be his average nowadays.

My question is, taking all that into consideration, IF Carolina did land Jordan Staal somehow... which Staal would you put as the top center? Do you stick with Eric, or do you see what Jordan can do with Skinner and see if Eric can jumpstart the 2nd line? OR, do you load them both up on the top line with Skinner?

#439 y0shi

y0shi

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

Here are some random thoughts:
- Jordan Staal to Toronto. It's too quiet in Toronto, this would be the ultimate draft-day splash.
- Bobby Ryan to Carolina. Big winger for Staal? Check.
- Rick Nash to San Jose. Rumblings of Pavelski/Clowe/Demers + 1st, likely for Nash +
- JVR to ???. This is the only one I can't make a "Wild" prediction on. Okay, fine, JVR to the Wild.

CDCGML Posted Image - Tampa Bay Lightning

#440 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:39 AM

Curious question....

With reports that Jordan Staal turned down a 10 year contract extension offer (rumoured to be in the $6 million per year range), I keep hearing from various places that Carolina is his destination of choice to play with his brother Eric.

Last season, filling in as 2nd line center with Crosby out most of the year, Staal hit 25 goals and 50 points, despite not getting the prime opportunities afforded a top center with Malkin around scoring in bunches. His playoff performance was what stood out, 6 goals and 9 points in 6 games, and a +2 rating in a first round series that was completely devoid of anything resembling defensive play.

Eric Staal was the go to guy in Carolina, but only managed 24 goals, outpaced by his younger brother. He did hit 70 points on the year but 70-80 points seems to be his average nowadays.

My question is, taking all that into consideration, IF Carolina did land Jordan Staal somehow... which Staal would you put as the top center? Do you stick with Eric, or do you see what Jordan can do with Skinner and see if Eric can jumpstart the 2nd line? OR, do you load them both up on the top line with Skinner?

Rumour is they would move Eric to wing... And likely do Staal-Staal-Skinner

Then 2nd line including Ruutu and Jokinen
Posted Image

#441 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,418 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

8 Musings:

~You heard it here first, Lu to New Jersey, possibly backed up by the living legend as he plays out one more year rather than retire
~Staals unite and obviously you only do this to play them together, separate lines makes the acquisition useless, really.
~The best lockout ever was the year the NFL had replacement players...really made you appreciate the real deal Pro's when they were back in action.
~The NHL can not and will not lose another season, at least not a full one, in the same ten year period. Imagine you shut down your business 20% of the available years your in business??? Not even the greediest of owner would crapcan 20% of revenue in the hopes of picking up an extra 1% or 2% of the profits from the deal with the players..a lost season is indeed fantasy hockey. If anything September and October are thrown away, as they are the least profitable really, league wide averages
~Wouldn't it be something if after months of trying to hype this years rather mediocre draft with Nail this and Yaku that...if Edmonton both keeps number one overall AND gets the best availabe Dman instead?
~I have heard from a few places the rough number will be barely North of 70 million on the cap hit, but that doesn't account for a new CBA, if there is a rollback involved, it could be that players take a ten % hit to contracts, the cap does go up 6and half million, but then also gets clawed back with the players...to...wait for it....the same cap numbers wise, but with 10% more room for GM's to work with
~I suspect the albatross syndrome of long high pay contracts will correct itself. Players appear to be balking a the idea of double digit years worth of contract now that they have seen how most of those contracts play out. Inevitably, the multimillionaire becomes a Goat...and no one wants to be a goat, not even a rich goat
~Does Colorado do anything this offseason to dramatically shift the playing field? They almost have to, don't you think....and that could mean a draft splash of canonball fatguy proportions. I know they were mid of the division pack and all last year, but mired in mediocrity and in need of a change: either tank for first overall or go all in on changes. I say changes, and big ones.

Edited by Primal Optimist, 22 June 2012 - 07:46 AM.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#442 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,418 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

Well you did add over 10 million in cap last night alone haha

:shock: B) ::D
I totally did.....in related news, this from the globe via sportsnet...

ENLIGHTENED GMS LOOK PAST SALARY

The Globe and Mail writes that so much of what happens on the NHL trade market is governed by dollars. How much does a player make, how much time is left on his contract, how does his salary fit into a team’s budget?
But with trade speculation heating up in advance of Friday’s NHL entry draft/swap meet, here’s an exercise that some of the league’s deeper thinkers use when evaluating players who they might acquire via trade:
They strip the salary component right out of the equation and evaluate it strictly as a hockey decision.
For example, last summer the Florida Panthers absorbed what was thought to be an untradeable contract – Brian Campbell’s eight-year, $57.143-million (all currency U.S.) deal that came with a $7.14-million salary-cap hit. Campbell had been playing for the Chicago Blackhawks, where he was no better than the No. 3 defenceman. For $7.14-million, he needed to be better than that.
Florida took him on, in no small part because the Panthers’ new general manager, Dale Tallon, signed him to that contract in the first place, and Florida had oodles of salary-cap space to play with.
But the heart of the decision was: What could Campbell contribute to a Panthers team in the midst of a massive rebuild, and the answer was plenty. Campbell played on average 26 minutes 53 seconds a night for Florida. He scored 53 points, tied for second among NHL defencemen. He helped the Panthers end a decade-long playoff drought, and on Wednesday he capped off a successful season by becoming the first defenceman in 58 years to win the Lady Byng Trophy.
Tallon made a move that few of his peers would have considered, because they would have been stopped by the contract obstacle, and he saw beyond it. He saw what Campbell could do on the ice.
Sometimes the value is hidden behind contracts that make a player appear untradeable. The Campbell deal last summer proved, once and for all, that no player is untradeable.
And sometimes, 12 months after the fact, the manager who pulled the trigger on a puzzling, unexpected deal looks like the smartest guy in the room.

Clearly I am far from the smartest guy in the room, but you have to like a Blueline like this:

Gonchar, Spacek
Souray, Kubina
Stuart, Klein
White

with some good young depth on the farm. FOr comparison's sake, all of last year the Rangers had the same Defense:
Gonchar, Spacek, Stuart, Zanon, Huskins, Sulzer, White totalling just 984 fantasy points. Subtracting 255 of those points and adding Souray, Kubina and Klein, regardless of price, is too hard to resist. Colin, I am hedging the league does follow through with some reward for hits and blocks, and Colin had 94 blocked shots and 65 hits over 67 games. This will add good value to the 7th dman, even at fractional points.
but i have said too much...runs off screaming....

Edited by Primal Optimist, 22 June 2012 - 09:15 AM.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#443 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

He had been hampering me for the 6 & 7 pick for weeks, before he finally did the deal for the CBJ 1st.
Posted Image

#444 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,418 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

3 hours 37 minutes to the Draft. I just mowed my lawn in the rain trying to kill time, now on to bath the dog and vacuum ...wow you know your killing time when your a dude doing voluntary housework. I don't expect any of my picks to be bonafide locks for first rounders, but I do think Ville Pokka has a decent shot at a late first round selection, and there is always a chance Kosmachuk goes before any goalies, which would move him up a bit closer to the first round, maybe early 2nd if I am lucky. Can't wait to see half the draft..as the wife has me heading out the door at 5:30 or 6 tonight, le sigh.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#445 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

3 hours 37 minutes to the Draft. I just mowed my lawn in the rain trying to kill time, now on to bath the dog and vacuum ...wow you know your killing time when your a dude doing voluntary housework. I don't expect any of my picks to be bonafide locks for first rounders, but I do think Ville Pokka has a decent shot at a late first round selection, and there is always a chance Kosmachuk goes before any goalies, which would move him up a bit closer to the first round, maybe early 2nd if I am lucky. Can't wait to see half the draft..as the wife has me heading out the door at 5:30 or 6 tonight, le sigh.

Germany vs. Greece.

Sure beats housework.
Posted Image

#446 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,898 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

could i still move my farm team???

#447 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,418 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

Germany vs. Greece.

Sure beats housework.

True enough, but waiting for England versus the winner of their game, i mean Italy...i am a Primal Pessemist regarding England's soccer, but still a fan..

could i still move my farm team???

I am pretty sure yeah..i just did a few days before the draft.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#448 boxing hobo

boxing hobo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

still pumped about how the draft panned out for me

Matt Dumba
Radek Faksa
Brady Skjei
Colton Sissons
Tomas Hyka
Mitchell Moroz
Zach Stepan

adding these guys to the stable of young talent we already have will help jumpstart the rebuild and gives us prospect depth in every position and in every area of the game.

the avs are still looking to make moves, especially on the back end. looking to add more skilled prospects and 2013 draft picks, as well as young roster players. pm me with offers

Posted Image

#449 zenflamesfan

zenflamesfan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

You know watching the draft I'm really appreciating the fact we didn't have to listen to Bettman when we did our draft

Posted Image

CDC GML: GM Calgary Flames

#450 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

Vishnovsky and Ribiero moved in a matter of minutes at the draft.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.