The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2012-13

canuck2xtreme

News today from the Saddledome, it has been reported that while GM Zen was rummaging through his desk he stumbled across a document left there by a previous GM. It is said that the document is labeled simply "Darryl's Guide to GMing". Some excerpts have been released to press.

GM Zen said it was an interesting read but wouldn't comment on whether he would be using the guide himself.

Didn't you trade all your draft picks this year.....? :unsure::lol:

I don't match. The Captain of the team just signed and agreed to a deal with a different team.

How do you match that and overcome the optics? He just served notice that he is no longer the captain of the Predators, and while that sucks for the franchise, you take the picks and move on. Sad day when you match an offer sheet the Team Captain himself signed.

If they match this, the team is doomed more so than if they don't.

Edit: my math says the offer could have been in the second highest catagory:

• $6,268,175 — $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third

• $7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks

Can you give up your franchise player for a handful of picks and still convince a market like Nashville that you want to win? Especially after you just lost another top defenceman for nothing? The Preds finally put themselves in a position where they could be considered legit Cup contenders. Suter walks for nothing, which was a huge blow. If Weber goes too, and all they get back is draft picks... I just don't see any scenario in which that works out well for them. If you ask me, the Predators HAVE to match this offer. They've got the cap space to do it, and not matching it could be catastrophic not only for the on ice product but for the teams standing in their market.

@Primal: by that logic Thomas Vanek hasn't wanted to be in Buffalo for years. Ryan Kesler wanted out of Vancouver. etc. The Preds already went public that they would match ANY offer sheet for Weber. Shea signing this could just be that he finally got the numbers he wanted, and so forced Nashville's hand to get a deal done. He may have signed it with the intent to remain in Nashville for the rest of his career. Perhaps he was tired of all the politics, the trade rumours, the negotiations that seemed to be stalling over and over... so he jumped at the chance when an avenue was presented to him where he could control his destiny (now it's either Philly or Nashville, no other option and he was able to choose that himself) and likely get the long term security the Preds were reluctant to give him in negotiations.

I just don't see how the Preds don't match this. I'd be shocked if they didn't.

Very good points C2, but I am not sure if this is forcing their hand or serving notice he doesn't wanna do there anymore. It was a crushing blow to him personally when Suter took off. My read of this move is that Weber is giving up on Nashville, not trying to leverage a lifetime there.

Oh and Vanek and Kesler are not the face of their respective franchise, nor are they captains. It is slightly different when the front man does this, there are different implications than if the keyboardist or basist did it, to put it in terms of a band. Keyboardists change all the time, but the voice is the voice, usually.

I could be very wrong, but I am almost certain notice has been served that Weber is done with Nashville, which will be devastating for the team.

If ownership commits the front end salary and bonuses to weber, do they have anything left in the cash drawer? this team has an internal cap don't forget.

last year they finished with 12 million extra cap space, the year before 8.5m to spare, almost 13m the year before that, It is safe to say their internal cap is 57 to 58 million based on a 70.2m league cap.

They are currently at 41 million and need six more guys.

Now you could go and pay 7.8m for Weber per year, but with bonuses and front end loaded contract have the owner actually pay 12m bonus and as high as 10m salary for the first two years, 22m a year for one guy is not smashville modus operendi, but aside from the actual cash, if the hit is almost 8m and you have 16m left on your 'internal cap' it is doable to match the offersheet, but then your have 8million to sign or promote 5 more guys.

Even with Weber, your team wont compete with 1 Dman and a depth chart of 7 other 2m or less Dmen.

THey need to hire 2 or 3 total Decent Dmen, a la MG with his 4.5m dollar defense, lol. Weber means the rest of the D will generally be subpar or young. No weber means they can hire 6 generally decent players. and come back and try to get in the playoffs. Weber means they have a star who doesn't want to be there, and no support.

From NSH:

"We are in receipt of the offer sheet signed between the Philadelphia Flyers and Shea Weber. Under the rules pertaining to an offer sheet, the Predators have one week to decide whether to match or accept the compensation. We have stated previously that, should a team enter into an offer sheet with Shea, our intention would be to match and retain Shea. Our ownership has provided us with the necessary resources to build a Stanley Cup-winning team. Due to the complexity of the offer sheet, we will take the appropriate time to review and evaluate it and all of its ramifications in order to make the best decision for the Predators in both the short and long-term.

“We do not anticipate any further comments on this situation until we make our decision within the next seven days.”

It sounds like NSH was looking to trade Weber anyways, so I'm wondering if Holmgren figured his wasn't the best offer so he signed the offer sheet to jump to the front of the queue. I would not be surprised if they declined to match, took the four 1st-rounders, and traded them right back to Philly for some players. Maybe something like Coburn and/or Voracek?

If not, NSH would have 8 1st round picks in the next four years. Those are some mighty fine poker chips to bring to the trade table. I think they let him walk.

If ownership commits the front end salary and bonuses to weber, do they have anything left in the cash drawer? this team has an internal cap don't forget.

last year they finished with 12 million extra cap space, the year before 8.5m to spare, almost 13m the year before that, It is safe to say their internal cap is 57 to 58 million based on a 70.2m league cap.

They are currently at 41 million and need six more guys.

Now you could go and pay 7.8m for Weber per year, but with bonuses and front end loaded contract have the owner actually pay 12m bonus and as high as 10m salary for the first two years, 22m a year for one guy is not smashville modus operendi, but aside from the actual cash, if the hit is almost 8m and you have 16m left on your 'internal cap' it is doable to match the offersheet, but then your have 8million to sign or promote 5 more guys.

Even with Weber, your team wont compete with 1 Dman and a depth chart of 7 other 2m or less Dmen.

THey need to hire 2 or 3 total Decent Dmen, a la MG with his 4.5m dollar defense, lol. Weber means the rest of the D will generally be subpar or young. No weber means they can hire 6 generally decent players. and come back and try to get in the playoffs. Weber means they have a star who doesn't want to be there, and no support.

You're assuming he doesn't want to be there. He's never said this himself, so it's pure speculation on your part. Also, if you're Shea, the CBA negotiations are a factor here. He's 1 year away from UFA status and a huge payday, regardless of what team he signs with. But the NHL is going after long term contracts, bonuses, etc. The window to get this kind of deal, money, term, bonuses, etc. may be closing on him. What would you do in his shoes? Do you let the owners close this window on you right as you're about to cash in, or do you take the oppourtunity to secure your financial future? What happens if they cap term at 5 years, eliminate bonuses etc. and you get a career ending injury? What Shea has done is look after his finances for life with one contract, and gotten thru under the wire before the oppourtunity to do so is closed on him. I don't blame him at all. If my bosses are threatening to limit my earning potential, but before they do, someone offers me a chance to secure my future and eliminate the risk factors for me moving forward, while offering me a ton of money at the same time, I'm taking it. What about you?

Ownership was willing to go after both Suter and Parise with offers similar to what they got (if not higher) than they got in Minny. They missed out, so why would they not be willing to commit the money to their franchise player?

Bottom line is Nashville had two stars on their defence. One walked for nothing. 2 weeks later, you can't let the other go for a handful of draft picks. Even if you have this 'internal cap', you do the best thing for your franchise.

Match the offer. Have him play next year, and if the cash isn't feasible, trade him after the year restriction is up to a team that can afford the offer. Then you can pick and choose where he goes and what you get back for him, and you can get a much better return for your team. Imagine what a team would give up to get a perennial Norris caliber defenceman who is signed for his entire career?

You're assuming he doesn't want to be there. He's never said this himself, so it's pure speculation on your part. Also, if you're Shea, the CBA negotiations are a factor here. He's 1 year away from UFA status and a huge payday, regardless of what team he signs with. But the NHL is going after long term contracts, bonuses, etc. The window to get this kind of deal, money, term, bonuses, etc. may be closing on him. What would you do in his shoes? Do you let the owners close this window on you right as you're about to cash in, or do you take the oppourtunity to secure your financial future? What happens if they cap term at 5 years, eliminate bonuses etc. and you get a career ending injury? What Shea has done is look after his finances for life with one contract, and gotten thru under the wire before the oppourtunity to do so is closed on him. I don't blame him at all. If my bosses are threatening to limit my earning potential, but before they do, someone offers me a chance to secure my future and eliminate the risk factors for me moving forward, while offering me a ton of money at the same time, I'm taking it. What about you?

Ownership was willing to go after both Suter and Parise with offers similar to what they got (if not higher) than they got in Minny. They missed out, so why would they not be willing to commit the money to their franchise player?

Bottom line is Nashville had two stars on their defence. One walked for nothing. 2 weeks later, you can't let the other go for a handful of draft picks. Even if you have this 'internal cap', you do the best thing for your franchise.

Match the offer. Have him play next year, and if the cash isn't feasible, trade him after the year restriction is up to a team that can afford the offer. Then you can pick and choose where he goes and what you get back for him, and you can get a much better return for your team.

Not saying they would trade him at all. But it's an option.

And if you're a market like Nashville, who has finally gotten close to building a winner, can you afford not to match this? Losing two star defenceman and not getting a single roster player in return? Nashville doesn't have the offense or the defensive depth to not take a big step down if they let Weber go. Can you sell to your fan base that such a plan was the best thing for the team?

Nashville is in a precarious spot here. Neither path is desirable. But in matching, they can manage how things go a bit and the concerns can be mitigated by good management and either eliminated or at the very least, made into something they can work with. If they let him go, it's very possible it's just the first step on a vicious downward spiral. Suter walks. Weber goes for picks. Some fans stop coming to games (let's face it, those two sell tickets). Nashville takes step backwards on ice, misses playoffs. Fewer fans renew season tickets. With less revenue coming in, the 'internal cap' could shrink. The team has to rebuild again. Even with those picks, it will take a while.

After all that time patiently building a contender, can they risk all that because they didn't want to pay their franchise player a few extra bucks to stay and help them keep moving towards winning a Cup?

Archived