The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2012-13

canuck2xtreme

I reiterate.

If I was a GM of a team - I take the picks.

If you look at the Nashville roster, they have been gutted from the team that was there last year. With a 1st round pick every year that could be traded, you can easily fill 4 holes.

If I am David Poile/Nashville - I match the offer.

Like Arby said......8 1st rounders, ain't too shabby either.

With their drafting abilities, they could get some serious returns for those picks, or even move up in the draft next year, which is shaping up to be a good one, and snag some possible franchise players who, if the new CBA is done to lock up ELC's for 5 years instead of 3, could work out very well in keeping a young and possibly dynamic core of forwards and dmen together for a very long time.

Worth thinking about.

Like Arby said......8 1st rounders, ain't too shabby either.

With their drafting abilities, they could get some serious returns for those picks, or even move up in the draft next year, which is shaping up to be a good one, and snag some possible franchise players who, if the new CBA is done to lock up ELC's for 5 years instead of 3, could work out very well in keeping a young and possibly dynamic core of forwards and dmen together for a very long time.

Worth thinking about.

You're assuming he doesn't want to be there. He's never said this himself, so it's pure speculation on your part.

Also, if you're Shea, the CBA negotiations are a factor here. He's 1 year away from UFA status and a huge payday, regardless of what team he signs with. But the NHL is going after long term contracts, bonuses, etc. The window to get this kind of deal, money, term, bonuses, etc. may be closing on him. What would you do in his shoes? Do you let the owners close this window on you right as you're about to cash in, or do you take the oppourtunity to secure your financial future? What happens if they cap term at 5 years, eliminate bonuses etc. and you get a career ending injury? What Shea has done is look after his finances for life with one contract, and gotten thru under the wire before the oppourtunity to do so is closed on him. I don't blame him at all. If my bosses are threatening to limit my earning potential, but before they do, someone offers me a chance to secure my future and eliminate the risk factors for me moving forward, while offering me a ton of money at the same time, I'm taking it. What about you?

My take on the Weber situation:

Captain does not want to be a part of my team, I can get some draft picks that will be low in the rounds, but those are some quality prospects that I could put time into developing, not to mention my mid-early 1st round picks due to my own clubs performances. My captain will just be terrible both on and off the ice, and will continue to request trades, making my job miserable and that much more difficult.

I would take the compensation and just move on.

I don't match. The Captain of the team just signed and agreed to a deal with a different team.

How do you match that and overcome the optics? He just served notice that he is no longer the captain of the Predators, and while that sucks for the franchise, you take the picks and move on. Sad day when you match an offer sheet the Team Captain himself signed.

If they match this, the team is doomed more so than if they don't.

Edit: my math says the offer could have been in the second highest catagory:

so they might only get 2 firsts a second and a third, but I still don't match it. The Captain of the team signed with another team...that is the end of that relationship, in my opinion.

1933 - Prohibition in the USA repealed, Rangers win Stanley Cup and Lester Patrick weighs in on the future of Hockey in the US?????

Really liked this whole clip, but at 1:15 Rangers Coach Lester Patrick gives thumbs up to Bettman, sort of, in discussing the NHL's future in America.

tsn.jpg

REPORT: BLACKHAWKS' HOSSA BACK TRAINING AFTER TAKING HIT IN PLAYOFFS

CHICAGO - Chicago forward Marian Hossa says he's recovering on schedule from a brutal hit that ended his season in Game 3 of the Blackhawks' opening-round playoff series loss to Phoenix in April.

Hossa, who led the Blackhawks with 77 points last season, was knocked out and suffered a concussion when the Coyotes' Raffi Torres left his feet to deliver the high, hard blow in the first period of the game on April 17.

Hossa was rushed off the ice on a stretcher and went to the hospital.

On Friday, Hossa said he had resumed high-intensity off-ice training several weeks ago and has experienced no ill effects. He has not yet started skating again, however.

"Right now I'm better and where I want to be," Hossa said. "Everything has been good so far.

"I've been able to train at a high level so far and that's my goal. It will be a little different when I get on the ice and get hit or someone pushes me."

Torres received a 25-game suspension on April 21 and missed the Coyotes' final 13 playoff games.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman reduced the suspension by four games on July 2, so Torres will sit out the upcoming preseason and the first eight games of the 2012-13 regular season.

Hossa still isn't able to recall all the details of the hit.

"For a few seconds I didn't know where I was," he said. "And basically I ended up in the hospital and then I started remembering things. The first few days I was in a dark room and slowly things became a little better.

"Time has passed by and it's very helpful. It just took time to calm down and relax."

Hossa said he was angry at Torres after the incident, but now he's focused on the future.

"Now I'm just looking ahead," he said.

This is great news for Mr. Hossa and the Flyers organization. We wish him a speedy recovery.

With the signing of center Derek Mackenzie here is the updated Red Wings Roster:

Detroit Red Wings:

Zach Parise - Jamie Benn - Patrick Sharp

Scott Hartnell - Saku Koivu - Daniel Alfredsson

Mark Letestu - Dave Bolland - Trevor Lewis

Cody McCormick - Derek Mackenzie - Matt Bradley

Lennart Petrell

Dustin Byfuglein - Brent Seabrook

James Wisniewski - Toni Lydman

Rusty Klesla - Brett Clark

Jim Vandermeer - Matt Corrente

Jonathan Quick

Jhonas Enroth

Victoria Secret:

Ryan Howse - Andreas Engqvist - Maxim Mayorov

Ludvig Rensfeldt - Brock Nelson -

Teemu Laakso - Charles-Olivier Roussel

Sebastien Erixon

Mark Visentin

Can Nashville really survive with a seemingly personality-less goaltender as their only legit start player? How long can they survive missing the playoffs? How long can they leech off of the popularity of Mike Fisher's wife?

If Nashville doesn't match, how long do they last in Nashville?

Exactly. If the team doesn't commit to their best/franchise player, who would ever want to play there and why would fans bother support their team? It's basically a referendum on the city of Nashville if the owner feels he can sustain hockey there. It'll be a sad sad day in sports if he chooses to let him go.

And if Weber really doesn't want to play in Nashville, he can suck it up for a year and let Nashville have their say on who they trade him to, and they can ensure they get a guy who can replace Weber's stardom in return.

2013 Potential Trades:

Weber to Anaheim for Ryan

Weber to Boston for Seguin or Bergeron

Weber to Carolina for Skinner

Weber to Colorado for Duchene

Weber to Chicago for P. Kane

Weber to Edmonton for Hall

Weber to San Jose for Couture

Weber to Winnipeg for E. Kane

Off Topic Editorial.

I totally agree with a couple recent posts about Weber, this is more or less similar to a referendum on Hockey in Nashville. The thing is, in my humble opinion, if the future of Hockey in Nashville is this heavily dependant upon a Captain that just signed a contract with another team: Then the ballot has already been cast. Weber is no Gretzky, and no Crosby. The mere idea that the future of Hockey in Nashville may be dependant upon one persons willingness or lack thereof to stay and guide the team IS the end of hockey in Nashville. If it was a Gretzky, a Crosby, sure you can say that..but a Weber? No. The owner is an idiot if he allows the idiot GM to match this offer. 2 years before Chicago won the cup you could here a lone drunk in their arena due to an absolute abysmal attendance yelling at the Canucks to go back to Canada..then he started in on his own team "Get off the ice, your embarrassing us". 2 and a half years later they hoisted the cup. If Nashville allows Weber to hold a gun to their head they won't hoist a cup at any time in the duration of his contract. If they accept the compensation, they could take aim at a situation 4 or 5 years from now.

As for Backes: his offer sheet was for 2.5m and it was after his first year of NHL hockey, long before he was ever considered as Captain Material.

At this point I would be completely shocked if Poille is allowed to match by his boss. I have no doubt he would match if he is allowed to make the decision alone. His job depends on it, and frankly it may be too late in that regard, he may be done there already.

It is with some sadness that the New York Rangers would like to file to release Rhett Rakhshani from the minor league Connecticut Whale. Rhett is under contract with the HV71 squad of the Swedish Elite League for the coming year. In 7 career NHL appearances, the 5 foot 10 inch 24 year old has been held pointless. The speedy winger had high promise as a point per game AHL player, and his presence on the Whale will be missed.

Similarily, we would like to file to release Mike Murphy, a fantastic young netminder, coveted for the depth in goal he brought to our organization this offseason. Mike has chosen to sign and play in the KHL this year, and while his speed and skillset are going to be tough to replace, his age and size make it unlikely that he will return to the NHL.

We wish both players well on their continued journey's in Professional Hockey.

Archived