The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Speculation] Neither Florida or Toronto have had meaningful negotiations about Luongo

Lebrun:

"Burke declined to talk about specific goalie targets, but it’s clear through conversations I’ve had with other league sources that the Leafs have interest in Luongo, although as of Wednesday morning, I don’t believe there had been any meaningful discussions between Toronto and Vancouver.

It starts with wishy washy speculation, and these other Toronto guys Cox and Dreger (who has conflict of interest written all over his positions) run with it and are merely parroting each other.

No news here - no real sources - just Toronto media playing games.

I personally am glad to see Toronto resorting to this for a number of reasons. The first and foremost being that I don't want them to have Luongo - second, it is weak.

Both sides are trying to gain the power and all gillis has to do is hold out.

I'm thinking Burke is trying to play it off like he's not that interested to get gillis to flog him off for barely anything.. Gillis is too smart for that. He will hold out till the right deal comes, if need be right into next season. The longer he holds out the more desperate Toronto and other teams with struggling/underperforming goalies become.. Burke can play it off like he's not interested all he wants but the fact is luongo is the best goalie availible and the price is gonna skyrocket when other goalies start underperforming and showing their true colors. He'd be better off making a solid pitch for him now.

Lebrun:

"Burke declined to talk about specific goalie targets, but it’s clear through conversations I’ve had with other league sources that the Leafs have interest in Luongo, although as of Wednesday morning, I don’t believe there had been any meaningful discussions between Toronto and Vancouver.

It starts with wishy washy speculation, and these other Toronto guys Cox and Dreger (who has conflict of interest written all over his positions) run with it and are merely parroting each other.

No news here - no real sources - just Toronto media playing games.

I personally am glad to see Toronto resorting to this for a number of reasons. The first and foremost being that I don't want them to have Luongo - second, it is weak.

Luongo has 7 consecutive 30+ win seasons, 3 Vezina nominations, years of playoff experience and an olympic gold medal. Gillis should be able to get a good return for him. Even if his contract is a bit long, it's still a lot better than some goalies' contracts and it's on par with many other goalies in the NHL who put up similar numbers.

I've never once thought his value was that high.

I was always hovering around Toronto's 2nd rounder, a prospect and a roster player.

Like:

Franson, Colborne & TOR 2nd

FOR

Luongo, Raymond & Tanev.

Come on man get with the program. Dreger already stated that Florida doesn't have enough money to resign Garrison so we have to conclude that they cannot afford Lou, right? If you cannot belieeve these guys (after all they are professionals and have a rep to protect) then who can you believe, Grapes?

These are the same guys who are ruining our game with their nightly inquistions on hits from behind, elbows, late hits.. you know the drift. Burke and Gillis will play them and vice versa. The clock ticks!

Bahahahaha.

If Schneider falters, or Luongo chokes, nobody is going to give a DAMN how much we would have had invested in goaltending (if we kept them both).

Schneider is still an unproven goaltender; IDGAF how much you CDC pro scouts jerk off to his lateral movement and HNIC after hours interview. Just because you think he can't fail, because of the unlimited talent you perceive he has, doesn't mean he won't. The man has played like 50 games in his career!

And if Luongo gets shelled, wouldn't having a second goaltender ready to go be amazing?

One more year. You win, you're in. We can trade a goalie during the year, or in the next off-season.

Do you honestly think a GM would publicly display interest in an elite goaltender like Luo? It was give MG bargaining power, for example, if a player openly asks for a trade it would decrease his trade value versus keeping it on the downlow.

Do you honestly think a GM would publicly display interest in an elite goaltender like Luo? It was give MG bargaining power, for example, if a player openly asks for a trade it would decrease his trade value versus keeping it on the downlow.

Ok I'll get with the program.

Luongo to Toronto for Komisarek - straight up.

Sorry, I just can't take Cox or Dreger seriously, certainly not on the Luongo matter.

The Panthers have 40.5 million in contracts at the moment - 30 million dollars of space under the projected cap. Tallon was free to go out and spend 7+ million on Campbell - they made the playoffs - they are a franchise on the upswing - I'm sure Luongo for two young players and a roster player would only add a couple million in cap. I don't think the problem with signing Garrison is a lack of money or cap space - I think he is looking to test the market or go somewhere of choice.

very incisive stuff there Noheart

Luongo for prospects Bjugstad and Petrovic (or other combination of center/defenseman, Theodore or a forward depending on the current assessment of Lack - feel free to criticize if you can put something in words.

oh that's right, we've been through this before, and you don't bother / resort to the Luongo's contract is unmovable, I don't know much about Luongo's contract line.

Archived