The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo: Trade with Toronto or Chicago?

allkill326

It appears Toronto GM Brian Burke will be able to wait out Vancouver counterpart Mike Gillis and get Roberto Luongo for relatively little more than relieving the Canucks of the cap hit, if that is Burke’s want.

With Josh Harding re-signing in Minnesota and Anders Lindback going to Tampa, the market has shrunken on both the Leafs and Canucks. The theory that some team will snap up Luongo’s monstrous contract as a means to getting to the cap floor? Good luck on that one.

Teams that struggle to make the cap floor are generally money-losing operations. (It turns out the San Jose Sharks lost $15 million last season, and they’re a big-spender in an excellent market). So an owner in, say, Florida, Columbus, Dallas or Colorado looks at the remaining $47.3 M left on the Luongo’s deal and tells his GM, "No chance."

Then there’s Luongo’s no-trade. Floor teams are, for the most part, not going to be on Luongo’s list.

So it’s Toronto or bust for Luey. And we’ll be surprised if Vancouver reaps much in return.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Gillis is trying to package Mason Raymond, and looking for some size on the wing in return.

•••

The only other place for Luongo is Chicago, where the Blackhawks are seriously concerned about their goaltending tandem of Corey Crawford and Ray Emery.

But would the Blackhawks be able to sell Luongo to their fan base? Canucks-Blackhawks is the hottest rivalry in the Western Conference, and Luongo is loathed in the Windy City.

We’re betting the Blackhawks find the answer elsewhere. It could have been in Edmonton, except for one problem: former Blackhawk Nikolai Khabibulin, who could be had for a song, can’t get the job done anymore.

Upshall, Nick Bjugstaad and a swap of Firsts. Upshall never plays a full year, Bjugstad has top two center potential, and was a high draft pick and the swap moves us up slightly.

Then swap the pick and raymond to Ottawa to get to 15...and we're good.

Rather than Toronto or Chicago, I'd prefer that Luongo be traded (once again, assuming he is traded) to Florida, as in the state, not specifically the Panthers.

Each of those teams there look to have the best selection in roster players and/or prospects and/or likely available picks.

The biggest advantage in trading with Toronto over the Panthers and the Lightning is that Burke is likely more desperate than Yzerman or Tallon, but this still doesn't mean the return from the Leafs would be better.

regards,

G.

Rather than Toronto or Chicago, I'd prefer that Luongo be traded (once again, assuming he is traded) to Florida, as in the state, not specifically the Panthers.

Each of those teams there look to have the best selection in roster players and/or prospects and/or likely available picks.

The biggest advantage in trading with Toronto over the Panthers and the Lightning is that Burke is likely more desperate than Yzerman or Tallon, but this still doesn't mean the return from the Leafs would be better.

regards,

G.

Stevie Y just picked up Lindback so I don't think they have interest in Lu. I'd like him to go to florida because I hate the leafs. They would be worse than canucks fans/media when it comes to trashing him/praising him. A man can only take so much.

Stevie Y just picked up Lindback so I don't think they have interest in Lu. I'd like him to go to florida because I hate the leafs. They would be worse than canucks fans/media when it comes to trashing him/praising him. A man can only take so much.

Archived