The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade Schneider, not Lu

Super_Canuck

Who would you rather trade?  

169 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Up until a few days ago, I was all about trading Luongo but I've changed my mind now, mostly due to the fact that Schneider can get us a better return. The trade market doesn't seem to be too hot for Lu because of his hefty contract and it seems like any team that's interested is trying to low ball us.

We know exactly what we have in Lu, 35-40 wins guaranteed. Sure he has the odd dud of a game but so does every other goalie in the league. When you play 60+ games every year, it's bound to happen. It will happen to Schneider aswell when his work load is doubled.

If Corey is say for example a 9/10, then Luongo is what? an 8.5/10? I mean not that big of a difference in terms of the impact on the team, but there is a big difference in what each goalie can fetch us. Whoever we trade, we need to get a piece in return that can help us win a cup and I don't think Lu can get that on the trade market. Roberto has atleast 4-5 good years left in him and I think that's pretty much our window to win aswell with this core. After that, who knows where this franchise will be. Maybe we'll have another great goalie in our system to be the no.1 on the big club (lack?) or perhaps there would be an UFA.

We've had it so good here in terms of goaltending for the past 6 years, that we forget how bad our goalies were pre 2006. We were desperate for just solid goaltending back then, and now we've been spoiled with great goalies the past few years. Fans here de-value what Luongo has done. The guy is extremely experienced, he's played in pressure packed situations at the highest levels. We can win a cup with him. If Detroit can win with Osgood, Chicago with Niemi and Boston with a 38 year old Thomas, then Lui can also get the job done.

His cap hit is not all that bad, especially considering where the cap is nowadays. Yes the term is bad but not the cap number. Most goalies of his caliber make the same or more. In a few years, Corey will me making just as much. For those of you who argue that his actual salary is a lot, to them is say who cares? It's not our money, what us fans should be worried about is the salary cap number, not what his actual income is. Salary cap # is the only thing that should concern us because it effects the rest of the team building process. Aqulini can pay him $15 mil/year if he wants, but as long as his cap number is 5.33, it's all good.

I'm not a Luongo hater and neither am I a big fan of the guy (although i used to be). His play over the last 2-3 years has frustrated me at times just like everyone else (he hasn't been the same since that groin injury in Pitt he suffered a few years ago). But I think keeping Lu and trading Schneider is the logical choice if it means we can get more.

An argument for them playing with less confidence in front of Schneider is they try to play better in front of him which could mean they have less trust in him bailing them out. On the other hand they play less solid in front of Luongo because they feel like he'll bail them out again and again.

If you cannot understand why Lou is being traded I am sorry. If you cannot comprehend why the Vancouver Canucks organization coaching staff and GM chose to go with another goalie in elimination games last playoffs I am sorry.

If you cannot move past your delusions I am sorry.

Lou will be traded. He was usurped for a reason. Stronger hockey mind's than yours made that decision, along with the decision to move him.

Denial is a challenging psychological issue as is confirmation bias.

thank you!!!! Someone who finally makes sense. People please stop blaming Luongo for the Canucks offensive shortcomings in the playoffs. We need to trade Schneider. Lu is the safe way to go. We need to add a forward who will make a difference in the playoffs not take a risk on a goalie who may or may not be able to handle a 70+ game season.

Again...

Denial...I am talking to wooden stumps. WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU EXPECT MG TO SAY? THIS IS NEGOTIATION AND BARGAINING 101 SON. GO PICK UP A BOOK ON IT.

I give up, enough of trying to convince people of something so obvious that they choose not to acknowledge.

Enjoy your months of denial.

Guest Dasein

Wish Schneider played game 6 in Boston in the final last year. Curious to see what might have happened is all.

Guest BuckFoston

Oh this is relevent....let's trash other CDCers (who just happen to be Canuck fans just like you). I am personally tired of all the attacks on posters who want to have their say. Posts like your babble is redundant and a waste of space.

The last thing that I want to read on here is a zillion posts complaining about posts. Bloody well grow up CDC!

And please bring back the 'minus' key....it is a better way to respond negatively than all these posts like this one.

By the way, this is not aimed specifically at you, just all the posts of this nature that really make it difficult to have a hockey discussion.

You mean all of those players that Luongo bailed out time and time again so that they could develop into solid players and not be shipped out (not including Raymond cuz he sucks and Tanev cuz he's pretty new)? If we didn't have stable goaltending while the sedins, etc. were maturing, I'm quite positive a lot of them would have been packing their bags.

After skimming through this thread, the last thing I would call it is a discussion. Users like ABurrows14 are sure having their say, why don't you go check it out. Calling everyone retarded and morons, others posting pictures as comebacks. Yeah, I'll stick to my original point.

Schneider and Eddie Lack are both capable of carrying the work load. Loungo has had his day here in Vancouver. When he's on his game he's good but when he buckles under pressure then he's awful. We should've taken the cup last season,not the Bruins! Loungo wasn't helpful that seventh game either letting the biscuit go buy him and not giving the team in front of him a opportunity to even come back! Sorry,time for Loungo to move on elsewhere!

Archived