The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade Schneider, not Lu

Super_Canuck

Who would you rather trade?  

169 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Honest Question

Do you think the team is better with

A ) Schneider and average assets returned in a Luongo trade

or

B ) Luongo and a strong return on assets for Schneider.

We should be pretty impartial with which goalie we trade, and hope for the best possible return either way.

We can't afford to lose Schneider, we're all too worried about our window, but what about when our window is through? Well have a 40 year old bum of a goalie, where as, we keep Schneider, barring a major fluke, or injury, well have solid goaltending for 10-15 more years!

Yes. It is a fact that Schneider will bring an astronomically larger return than Luongo, but ask, are the assets we will get in return worth Schneider? Would you rather have a solid d man prospect and a 1st round pick, or a goalie who is ensured to keep us with solid goal keeping?

Bottom line, and I've said this a billion times before, the only way I'd even CONSIDER trading Schneider, is if we get a Hedman, or someone like that.

Other than that, which is quite unlikely, I'm 100000% in favor of trading Luongo.

P.S. Please excuse the many grammar and spelling mistakes, I wrote this on an iPhone :P

Honest answer? A.

Why? We don't need an elite return for Luongo to put this team over the edge. The team as it is plays remarkably better in front of Schneider vs in front of Luongo. My observation is that Luongo has likely lost the team's confidence and trust whereas Schneider now has it.

We have enough top end talent as it is, what we need is higher quality and more balanced depth to take the pressure off our marquee players who are asked to overcompensate for our lack of good depth.

Daniel, Henrik, Burrows, Kesler, Booth, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler are our marquee guys that's a pretty good core if you ask me. Higgins, Hansen, Lappiere, Malhotra, Ballard, and Tanev are good supporting guys. What we need are 1-2 pieces (Top 6 forward, Top 4 defenceman) which can be classified between group A and Group C.

Taking into account the limited number of trading partners we have with regard to Luongo (off the top of my head I can think of Toronto, Florida, New Jersey, Chicago and San Jose), some of them being remote chances at best.

Trading Luongo may not return the absolute best value, but keeping Schneider requires the fewest number of changes to the roster in order to push the team over the edge.

If I'm Gillis, I'm looking at value players, those who perform the best in their respective roles for the lowest average dollar per statistic, as well players in the 24-28 age range. Think guys like Grabovski, MacArthur, Clarkson, Stalberg, Bolland, Pavelski, Clowe up front. I don't think we need to trade for a defenceman, the UFA market while a little thin has options that would compliment our current group well: Wideman, Carle, Allen, Colaiacovo, Morrisonn, Campoli etc.

Trading Luongo is not only benefiting our situation but his as well, and there are options in the UFA market that enable us to get a respectable return for Luongo, were not in a position to have to the get the absolute best value possible.

That being said, I wouldn't say no to 5th overall + Grabovski or MacArthur + a defensive prospect for Luongo + 1st.

Pros and cons. Can be argued either way. Time will tell. Everybody has their own personal feelings.

Move CS?

Pros:

Better package/assets in return.

Lou is a great goalie and a fair cap hit.

Cons:

We do not like Lous little melt downs on ocaission.

CS has not played 40+ games in a season (minor detail)

Lose future great goalie

Move Lou?

Pros:

clear cap space,

get younger (not a big deal here). Lou still fits in our window (3-4 yrs)

CS seems more stable, solid.

time for a change (relationship?)

Cons

lose experience

less assets in return than trading CS.

Either way, MG has the final say and time will tell.

Lets just hope the team is better off in September and has a greater chance to win the cup in June 2013

Archived