Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Proposal] Luongo, NHL Draft & Schneider.

Signing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:41 AM

So I've been reading a lot of the Luongo trade talk proposals and which players, prospects/draft picks that we may or may not be able to acquire. I'm hardly the person to be coming up with a real solution, and the same (I would have to say) goes for anyone else here on CDC. So before any of the "over critical regulars" come reigning down on me with their arguements, I would like to state that this is only a proposal and just my own personal opinion, with hopes to improve and benifit our beloved team.

In regards to the goalie controversy, I'm a big Luongo fan, but I believe the management has shown their faith in Cory Schneider by putting the team on his back, when it needed it most-- during the playoffs. That they in fact, have chosen to go with the younger of the two and take a chance by making him the number one goaltender of this team.

They have sent a qualifying offer to CS, which should play out to be around the 3 mil range for two seasons.

So my proposal for a trade would be as follows, with the speculation that Lu will most likely be headed to T.O:

To Toronto:
Luongo, 2nd (2012)

To Vancouver:
1st - 5th Overall (2012) Negotiation rights of Cody Franson, 3rd (2013) Conditional draft pick, dependant on whether or not Franson chooses to sign with the Canucks.

We could then proceed to draft a center like Galchenyuk (If available) or Grigorenko to play in Kesler's absence as he recovers from surgery. Even a good BC born D prospect like Griffin Reinhart or Morgan Rielly would suffice. After signing Cody Franson to a contract around the 1.5 to 2.5 mil range, we could then re-sign Sami Salo to a one year contract worth the same (2 mil) he played for last season.

As for forwards, I would very much like to see the Canucks go after a free agent like Jaromir Jagr and try to sign him to a contract for 4.5 mil for two seasons.

The line up would then be as follows to start the season:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Grigorenko/Schroeder - Jagr
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen
Raymond - Malhotra - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Franson
Ballard - Salo

Alberts, Tanev, MAG (Re-signed)

Schneider
Lack

Having Jagr and the Sedins come together on the first PP unit sounds too good to pass up! As for Lack, he has proven himself to a degree as one of the top goalies last season in the AHL. He deserves an opportunity to prove himself a little more, if only as a back up goaltender. There aren't too many options for back ups if we do decide to trade Luongo, so if he can't handle it then we could always pick up another back up via FA or trades. (Say for perhaps, Mason Raymond) Any suggestions?

We could then use the remaining 1st round pick (26th) to draft Malcolm Subban or another goalie, let's say Oscar Dansk? Who could take over the affiliate "Wolves" later on if Lack performs well in his back up role.

This trade however is dependant on the draft, and whether or not MG was bluffing when he said he didn't see any trades happening till after the draft, of course.

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 21 June 2012 - 06:06 PM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#2 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

jagar is only gonna sign in the east

#3 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:42 AM

jagar is only gonna sign in the east

How can you be sure?? He is going to explore the market, if the Canucks offer him a good price and a deal that isn't for just one year (As most teams will offer) Then I'm sure he may consider going to a contender, not to mention we have two great players in the Sedin twins that he can play with. I'm sure he will be a point per game player or better playing with them, after Kesler comes back he moves up to the top line and Bur moves down to play with his good 'ol buddy Kes. ;)

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#4 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

They have sent a qualifying offer to CS, which I believe will be around the 3 mil range for two seasons.

A qualifying offer is a deal basically the same as what they were paid last year, but with very a small (0, 5 or 10%) mandatory increase depending on the value. That can be accepted by the player and become their actual contract, but it's main purpose is to show you're committed to the player for at least that minimum in order to retain their RFA rights. That then allows you to negotiate further rather than let the player walk as a UFA.

Cory could still end up with a deal around $3M like you've suggested, but that has nothing to do with the qualifying offer.

With that out of the way, Toronto has said they aren't likely to move the 5th overall so it'd probably take an overpayment to do so. I think it'd be more plausible that we get back a roster player(s) and/or prospect(s) in the deal, perhaps with a lesser pick to even things out depending.

Value-wise, I'd say Lu and our 2nd isn't that far off of their 5th overall and Franson's RFA rights. I just think they would be likely to offer a different package (Schenn and Kadri have already been rumoured).

Edited by elvis15, 21 June 2012 - 10:16 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#5 Messien10

Messien10

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

Looks good. I think Tanev will be in our top 6 next year.

#6 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

Just to suggest something different:

Schenn, RFA rights to Kulemin, 2nd rounder
for
Luongo, RFA rights to Raymond

They want to make some room on D with all the ones they had from last year, plus wanting to get Holzer into the lineup, but I'm not sure if they'd move both Schenn and Franson.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#7 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,925 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

I'd make that trade.
But don't get your hopes up on signing Jagr, he's an East Coast boy.
Posted Image

#8 Paul_Kariya28

Paul_Kariya28

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Stop wanting the 5th overall, there's no way Luongo would get you that. Burke has said that he wouldn't trade the 5th overall for a goalie, and if the price is too high(the 5th overall), he'd stick with Reimer.

#9 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

Stop wanting the 5th overall, there's no way Luongo would get you that. Burke has said that he wouldn't trade the 5th overall for a goalie, and if the price is too high(the 5th overall), he'd stick with Reimer.

If he sticks with Reimer, I can't see him getting a new contract with TO

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#10 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

A qualifying offer is a deal basically the same as what they were paid last year, but with very a small (0, 5 or 10%) mandatory increase depending on the value. That can be accepted by the player and become their actual contract, but it's main purpose is to show you're committed to the player for at least that minimum in order to retain their RFA rights. That then allows you to negotiate further rather than let the player walk as a UFA.

Cory could still end up with a deal around $3M like you've suggested, but that has nothing to do with the qualifying offer.

With that out of the way, Toronto has said they aren't likely to move the 5th overall so it'd probably take an overpayment to do so. I think it'd be more plausible that we get back a roster player(s) and/or prospect(s) in the deal, perhaps with a lesser pick to even things out depending.

Value-wise, I'd say Lu and our 2nd isn't that far off of their 5th overall and Franson's RFA rights. I just think they would be likely to offer a different package (Schenn and Kadri have already been rumoured).

I guess I should have wrote it: "will most likely" turn out to be around 3 mil afterwards for two seasons. <_< Oh well, I watched Brian Burke and his body language/attitude during his interview today on TSN and he did state that, although to me it seemed a little off.. He's not real big on draft picks, (As he has been known to trade them for the current needs of the team) He did mention the need to fix the goalie situation, which he had said was "fine" just a little while before. So I'm sure if MG wants that fifth over all, he will be able to acquire it. If MG is not interested though, then a trade won't happen till after the draft anyways and render this proposal obsolete.

I am not too interested in Luke Schenn, but I suppose we could package him in a deal, then later trade him to let's say Philly? Kadri on the other hand could have some upside. He has a little NHL experience and could also temporarily take over the 2nd line center job while Kes recovers.

As for the second offer, I'm not too sold on it. I don't believe we are getting much that would benefit our team in that particular package.. Although, the 'Raymond for Kulemin' swap doesn't sound too bad. They are both similar players, struggling with their respected clubs. They may do good with a change of scenery, or they might not. Over all, not taking back salary would be great considering we will probably want to make a play for a top 6 forward. Jagr may in fact decide to play in the east, if that's the case I would like to see a player like Brad Boyes or perhaps Dustin Penner come to our team.

@Paul_Kariya28 I don't see us trading with Toronto if they don't offer us the 5th overall pick, what else could we get that would really benefit us long term in a trade with them? :mellow:

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.