The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks will use first pick on best player available

-Vintage Canuck-

I consider this news only because of the way the Canucks used to draft. If the GM felt we needed a defenceman, we drafted one even if there was a sure-fire top 6 forward to be had. If they felt we needed size, they drafted Libor Polasek and left better players on the table to go to other teams. I never understood drafting by need when it takes 2-4 years for a majority of prospects to reach the NHL and needs can change quickly. That said, I don't think anyone drafts by need anymore?

Stephan Matteau, if he is still available, he could fill the need for more depth at center while comfortably fitting in the 3rd line role during his development, a trend the Canucks have shown in recent history.

23. Stefan Matteau

matteau-sm_70017.jpg

Profile:

2011-12 Team: USNTDP League: USHL Position: Centre Height: 6'1 2011-12 Stats: 18 GP, 6 G, 10 PTS Weight: 210 lbs.

Scouting Rankings:

NHL Central Scouting: 17 NAS, International Scouting Services:No. 31, The Hockey News: No. 30, Button's Ranking: No. 48

TSN Scout Craig Button:

Stefan is capable of wreaking havoc in the game with his combination of skating, skill and size. He has excellent speed and can close on opponents quickly and when you combine this with a desire and willingness to make physical contact, it can be very uncomfortable for opponents. The speed and quickness also allows him to make an impact offensively because he can beat defenders 1-1 and overwhelm them with his size. He can score in multiple ways; with a very good shot or by powering past defenders and taking it to the net. He is a unique player in the sense that he can quickly disrupt an opponent with his approach. While there have been concerns about his 'discipline' on the ice, it can be such an unsettling thing for an opponent that he just needs to find the proper balance with his aggression so that it's of the productive nature not the undisciplined. He is also able to play either wing or center so he becomes a player that can play multiple positions and that versatility is a another positive.

It doesn't matter; look at what happened to Hodgson. As long as AV is coach and Gillis manager the team is hooped. Aquilini will see the worst yr in yrs coming up. I think they have really blown it . 2 yrs of presidebts trophy and a lousy draft pick and they say the want to get younger. Well they kinda need to,its true, but they have lost their chance to get MacTavish. They have lost their window now. Rebuild is not on the agenda . As long as the building is full they don't care.Niether does Bettman. Johnny Canuck is feeling kinda low.

Archived