The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks will use first pick on best player available

-Vintage Canuck-

It doesn't matter; look at what happened to Hodgson. As long as AV is coach and Gillis manager the team is hooped. Aquilini will see the worst yr in yrs coming up. I think they have really blown it . 2 yrs of presidebts trophy and a lousy draft pick and they say the want to get younger. Well they kinda need to,its true, but they have lost their chance to get MacTavish. They have lost their window now. Rebuild is not on the agenda . As long as the building is full they don't care.Niether does Bettman. Johnny Canuck is feeling kinda low.

It doesn't matter; look at what happened to Hodgson. As long as AV is coach and Gillis manager the team is hooped. Aquilini will see the worst yr in yrs coming up. I think they have really blown it . 2 yrs of presidebts trophy and a lousy draft pick and they say the want to get younger. Well they kinda need to,its true, but they have lost their chance to get MacTavish. They have lost their window now. Rebuild is not on the agenda . As long as the building is full they don't care.Niether does Bettman. Johnny Canuck is feeling kinda low.

I realize we were picking 26th and this draft wasn't exactly the deepest, but it's a little disappointing when your first round pick is projected as a solid 3rd liner...who might possibly eventually even become a 2nd liner if everything rolls your way...and your early 2nd round pick, while he can apparently chuck the knuckles, wasn't projected to go in any of the first few rounds...even as a 20 year old who went undrafted in the last two drafts...and your 3rd rounder plays in a Canadian league that most of us have probably never heard of.

So are they taking the best players available? I'm not sure. MG hasn't exactly restocked our system with solid prospects so far...as of last year we're rated 29th out of 30 teams for prospect depth so with these first two picks, not sure I feel any better.

http://www.hockeysfu.../team-rankings/

I realize we were picking 26th and this draft wasn't exactly the deepest, but it's a little disappointing when your first round pick is projected as a solid 3rd liner...who might possibly eventually even become a 2nd liner if everything rolls your way...and your early 2nd round pick, while he can apparently chuck the knuckles, wasn't projected to go in any of the first few rounds...even as a 20 year old who went undrafted in the last two drafts...and your 3rd rounder plays in a Canadian league that most of us have probably never heard of.

So are they taking the best players available? I'm not sure. MG hasn't exactly restocked our system with solid prospects so far...as of last year we're rated 29th out of 30 teams for prospect depth so with these first two picks, not sure I feel any better.

http://www.hockeysfu.../team-rankings/

Sometimes I feel like it doesnt matter who is drafted, it's that specific team's system that determines success or failure. I wonder if players drafted to Columbus started from scratch in a good system would actually be stars rather than have their confidence defeated.

I felt excitement when gillis was first hired and heavily targeted player development as one of his initiatives. I feel like it helped for the current roster players like sedins, Kes,burr, bieksa and edler to get better using a combination of better training, Sundin leading by example and the change from stiflin defensive/dump and chase to a more attacking, possession style system.

But for drafted players and rookies I don't see many benefits. It almost seemed like what hodgson did to develop himself like goin to Gary Roberts training camp and using his own doctors to rehab him did more to develop him.

The bottleneck seems to be AV. It doesn't matter on the back end what resources are poured into helping players, if they don't play they won't be effective. AV is super conservative with his young players. They have to be 100% good at D. Offense don't mean crap to him. Even with top defensive depth and top goaltending this is his mindset. Other teams with a lot lesser d and goaltending strength allow more freedom. And ones that are strong like LA leverage it so that offense is their competitive advantage, even from their 4th line.

So now it seems the philosophy is to draft big guys who are prob in reality going to be third liners and then hope for the best. Any forward prospect that says their defense is what will make them successful is almost always going to be a grinder. The Canucks have tons of grinder prospects but if their young AV just doesn't use them. So in short the new wave of Canucks prospects are screwed unless coaching helps them in a big way.

Archived