The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It's okay to beat up your classmates when.....

Magikal

She deserves monetary compensation for her hurt feelings more than anyone else because...?

Yeah, what was done to her wasn't right, but I'm sure we've been through worse. Children get bullied and tormented all the time. We just make them accept it as part of growing up. Why do people feel so much more heartstruck and compassionate for full grown adults in this situation?

And both you and I are among those who'd be told to "Man up, you wuss!", as I have alluded to earlier.

Nobody is saying she deserved monetary compensation for her hurt feelings more than anyone else....I have not seen one person here say that. If a group of people, out of the goodness of their hearts, chose to donate money to someone who has been despicably abused by a mob of unruly miscreants, what's it to you? Nobody asked you to donate, nobody's forced you to even care. What skin is it off your nose if others choose to display their empathy and concern for someone else? Really, BN, what should it matter to you, anyway, if you so obviously disagree with it? Accept that a lot of people had a lot of heart and chose to try and lessen the fallout of the abuse this woman suffered at the hands of hooligans.

“Children get bullied and tormented all the time. We just make them accept it as part of growing up”

I don't know what frickin' planet you live on, but on the one I live on, we don't 'make children accept being tormented and bullied as part of growing up'. Do you not read the news, watch television? There is a massive campaign underway to raise awareness of childhood bullying, the devastating effects of it short term and longterm and to attempt to curb it. I don't know what adult in your life made you accept this sort of treatment as a child, but making you accept the abuse of bullying is almost as abusive as the bullying itself. Accept it???? Surely you jest. I don't know one parent, in the circle of my friends, who would ever, has ever, told their child “This is all part of growing up, just accept it and move along”

I was going to let it go after my first response to you, keep it respectful, consider what I know personally about you already and where some of these comments may have come from. But your statement “Children get bullied and tormented all the time. We just make them accept it as part of growing up.” has made me reconsider. I cannot believe you would say such a thing.......giving the impression to those that read your words that somehow you believe bullying and tormenting children is an acceptable. It is abuse, it is not acceptable under any circumstances and should not be tolerated by anyone.

Then why the frack didn't anyone tell my parents that?

This whole "anti-bullying" movement seems like a new age PC thing that didn't exist back in our bad old days. School of hard knocks, as my recollection has it. No holding hands and singing kumbaya.

How the hell do you ever draw a comparison between this and doing a small minor deed to help a stranger? Do you think it's worth donating money for, moreso than every other person in the world with a tear in their eye?

One thing I've learned--the hard way at times--is not to spend money to mend other people's feelings.

The 350k figure is a clear indicator that people saw a viral video, feel outraged and an a strong urge to "do something", and having a "donation button" in the link there gives them the catharsis they need...exactly like Kony 2012.

I suppose there is nothing wrong with that. People can spend their money however they wish. Perhaps worthier charities could learn from this.

"This" is not one person donating 300 big ones, "this" is many people dropping coins into a poor person's can, except via the internet. You're seriously a bitter old man who needs a hug and someone to tell you that the entire world isn't out to get you.

This is just ridiculous. Spend your money however the fark you want, and if I feel like shoving my cash down someone's throat, I'll do it without some prick criticizing me every step of the way.

The 350k figure is a clear indicator that people saw a video, feel outraged and an a strong urge to "do something", and having a "donation button" in the link there gives them the catharsis they need...exactly like Kony 2012.

I suppose there is nothing wrong with that. People can spend their money however they wish. Perhaps worthier charities could learn from this.

Archived