Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

It's okay to beat up your classmates when.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
153 replies to this topic

#91 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

Thanks. Agreed completely. I +'d you for this.

Thanks!

I cannot believe how this is a big deal.

#92 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

your compassion for another human being is underwhelming , here is something you may need to raise your oxytocin levels ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vr3x_RRJdd4

I've actually always wanted to do this but keep a donation box for anyone who wants to donate to an anti bullying organization. It may not be original but I thought it was a nice idea :)

Edited by I♥Wellwood, 21 June 2012 - 05:44 PM.

Posted Image

#93 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

I've actually always wanted to do this but keep a donation box for anyone who wants to donate to an anti bullying organization. It may not be original but I thought it was a nice idea :)

i think it is a great idea .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#94 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

i think it is a great idea .

Thanks ! I might try it out in September :)

Posted Image

#95 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

And you never got a cent for it.

Keep that in mind.

Why are you so bothered by that? It's not coming out of your pocket. Other people wanted to donate something, no one made them. The whole idea was to raise just a couple of thousand dollars to give this lady a little vacation which I thought was an interesting and kind plan. No one set out to give her 300+ grand. People were free to stop when they saw that a few thousand was already raised, but chose to continue. I don't know how many people actually donated, but it would take 1 million people to donate as little as 25 cents to get the numbers this high. You are going to nag a person for giving someone 25 cents and say "you could have given that to starving children?" Really? I throw more than that in a homeless person's coffee cup. You are also assuming just because someone donated a couple of bucks to this lady they don't give any money to charity, don't take used items to Goodwill, or don't take items to food drives or volunteer. You ask so much of your fellow man, I do wonder how much you do for your community. You must be Jesus Christ himself.

#96 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

People always say that money doesn't make you happy.

People who say that either never had any money or had no idea how to properly spend it when they finally got some.

#97 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

Jeez, I hope if I ever get picked on somebody videotapes it, and makes it a viral video.
Give her a vacation, but whatever is left of that money should go towards a better cause.
Posted Image

#98 Not Alain Vigneault

Not Alain Vigneault

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

I'll play devil's advocate here.

I feel truly sorry for her. It's bad enough she gets paid very little to do this job, but the fact that she, along with her family, are being made fun by stupid kids is sickening, especially when she's on that bus to make sure they get home safe.

It gives me faith in humanity that hundreds, if not thousands, of people have donated to help this woman out, but how many have done it just because this story has gone viral?

While I'm happy for Karen, it's sad to know somebody else may have been in the exact same situation and been a victim, but their story was never known because it wasn't videotaped or made viral on the internet. Where's the sympathy there and what does it come down to? "That's too bad, film it next time?"

Nevertheless, a person should never feel threatened by the people in their job and have to endure what she has.

#99 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

Why are you so bothered by that? It's not coming out of your pocket. Other people wanted to donate something, no one made them. The whole idea was to raise just a couple of thousand dollars to give this lady a little vacation which I thought was an interesting and kind plan. No one set out to give her 300+ grand. People were free to stop when they saw that a few thousand was already raised, but chose to continue. I don't know how many people actually donated, but it would take 1 million people to donate as little as 25 cents to get the numbers this high. You are going to nag a person for giving someone 25 cents and say "you could have given that to starving children?" Really? I throw more than that in a homeless person's coffee cup. You are also assuming just because someone donated a couple of bucks to this lady they don't give any money to charity, don't take used items to Goodwill, or don't take items to food drives or volunteer. You ask so much of your fellow man, I do wonder how much you do for your community. You must be Jesus Christ himself.

right on . makes you feel a little better about your fellow man does it not .

Edited by puckinloveicehockey, 21 June 2012 - 07:14 PM.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#100 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

People who say that either never had any money or had no idea how to properly spend it when they finally got some.

Lol Yeah I've never understood that. I am lucky enough to be in a wealthy family.

#101 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

I'll play devil's advocate here.

I feel truly sorry for her. It's bad enough she gets paid very little to do this job, but the fact that she, along with her family, are being made fun by stupid kids is sickening, especially when she's on that bus to make sure they get home safe.

It gives me faith in humanity that hundreds, if not thousands, of people have donated to help this woman out, but how many have done it just because this story has gone viral?

While I'm happy for Karen, it's sad to know somebody else may have been in the exact same situation and been a victim, but their story was never known because it wasn't videotaped or made viral on the internet. Where's the sympathy there and what does it come down to? "That's too bad, film it next time?"

Nevertheless, a person should never feel threatened by the people in their job and have to endure what she has.

Because our society is crap.

#102 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

This kind of stuff goes on every day between students. It was fairly common at my elementary school and would not be surprised if it happens at most of them. Its even worse for the kids taking the abuse because of their age.
Posted Image

#103 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

This kind of stuff goes on every day between students. It was fairly common at my elementary school and would not be surprised if it happens at most of them. Its even worse for the kids taking the abuse because of their age.

'Tis exactly the reason why I am baffled by the public reaction. I thought we were supposed to feel more aversion to hurt being caused to children than to adults.

#104 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

wow , that sounds pretty crappy if behaviour like that is the norm .if i was their age and saw one of my peers behave in that manner i would intervene and make sure they stopped that sort of behaviour . i used to love confronting the "bully " , it was just like my father told me , that if you stand up to them they are usually weak and they back down and move on and try and bully someone else who offers less resistance .

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#105 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

'Tis exactly the reason why I am baffled by the public reaction. I thought we were supposed to feel more aversion to hurt being caused to children than to adults.

an elderly woman in the midst of a bunch of teenagers , who do you believe is the more vulnerable party .
on a positive note i just saw on the news over here in australia that it was a canadian man who started the fund for the elderly woman , i really do believe that canada has some really good people and would be/is a great place to live .

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#106 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:50 PM

:picard:

So, should there have been a cap on what people could donate? Would that have satisfied you? Should someone have gone to the local travel agency, checked out the cost of a trip to Hawaii or some equally acceptable holiday destination and told people only to donate up to that amount of money? Oh man............

I'm sure when the idea of raising funds for a holiday was initially put in place, nobody had any idea the amount of donations would be so high. When the video went viral, more people became aware of what had happened and were outraged.

Edit: Actually, there was a goal of $5000 set initially, but when the video went viral, the donations skyrocketed.

Your cool:)
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#107 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:50 PM

Your cool:)

*you're

:ph34r:

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#108 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

In 2 Days, close to 3.1 Million youtube views + $436,000 Donated. LOL

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

#109 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:08 PM

*you're

:ph34r:

Pooh:)
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#110 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

Pooh:)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#111 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

Half of us would be subjected to the "Man up, you wuss!" treatment.

Perspective, people, perspective.

And half of us are not kindly old ladies (who likely volunteered to do the job) being harassed by a bunch of jackass kids, I apologize for the language but this video infuriates me beyond belief. As a 16 year old, I should know better than most just how brutal and barbaric kids my age can be, but this is just too much.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#112 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

If anything it is worse because the kids won't receive actual punishment as they are minors, this is harassment causing mental anguish, and seeing as it is in the states, if those kids were adults, there would be a ridiculous amount of monetary compensation headed the elderly lady's way after a court session.

Kids need to learn how to respect their elders, and it is disgusting to see them gang up on an old lady who was likely volunteering to be the bus monitor for their school.

Edited by Hansen 36, 21 June 2012 - 11:32 PM.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#113 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:59 PM

Disgusting, I just want to thank all the useless parents of the world that raise kids who turn out like this.

Edited by mpt, 22 June 2012 - 12:02 AM.

#114 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:34 AM

She should invest a few hundred dollars a month to hire some guys to push those kids in the mud every day and laugh at them.
I'd donate for that.

#115 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:41 AM

I think bus monitor is a great job for ex convicts. Not only can they handle the children in fisticuffs if needed but they can also lecture the children on the importance of living a clean lifestyle.

An a fellow obese person I am disgusted by their remarks though. I have had my share of bullying incidents, I was once thrown out of a first floor window and had to walk all the way around the school to get back in the class. I wish I got $300,000 for that. I guess my problem was I didn't cry at the time just when I got home :sadno:

#116 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:43 AM

When I was in 7t grade I was thrown out a first floor window onto the ground and had to walk all the way around the school to get back into my class and was then laughed at. I didn't cry because I'm tough but if I had done it at school instead of at home that night maybe I would have got a bunch of money :(

#117 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

The woman's got class, even though I don't entirely agree with all she has to say.

Karen Klein: Bullies aren’t bad kids

The grandma who endured horrific abuse on a school bus, then felt the Internet's love, now defends her tormentors
By Mary Elizabeth Williams

The Karen Klein story just keeps unfolding. As of Friday, the fund for Klein is now inching toward the $500,000 mark. Though Klein says, “I just don’t feel like it’ll come to me anyway, so I don’t think too much about it. It’s a nice gesture, but I just don’t know if it’s for real or not,” Southwest Airlines has promised to send Klein on an all-expenses-paid trip to Disneyland.

Salon reached out to the man behind the campaign, Max Sidorov, Thursday for an interview; so far there has been no response. He did, however, tell the National Post that he was a victim of bullying as a child, and that “I really felt almost heartbroken to see that people would do such a thing to a nice lady. So, I just thought I had to do something about it.”
Meanwhile, the father of one of the boys involved in the incident told CBS News Friday, “There’s no excuse. And we’re going to get to the bottom of that, but it really broke my heart and I shed a lot of tears thinking about that whole thing and I just want you to know that my family, all of us, are deeply saddened by this whole thing and we’re going to get it right.”
Klein, meanwhile, told Anderson Cooper Thursday the kids involved aren’t bad kids, “Not deep down. But when they get together, things happen. Some things worse than other things.

http://www.salon.com...arent_bad_kids/

Edited by Buggernut, 22 June 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#118 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

Here's my thought on the incident..

First of all, it's anybodies choice to donate whatever to whoever..

Second of all, I don't understand why people are getting worked up over the situation. Bullying happens all the time, why should the victim get compensation? People always say that money doesn't make you happy. So how is the money here going to be able to mend her heart? Don't give me that BS that she can finally retire and blah blah.. She was a bus driver for a reason, she is a bus monitor for a reason, she loves her job and students. Yes we're human and have feelings. But is it really going to ruin your world when someone starts insulting you? Get over it. Society, in my opinion, is just too soft nowadays. People see things like this and feel bad for this woman. That's natural. But to make it a big deal and have it be on the news, is pointless. There are worse things that happen in this world.

Third of all, I don't care if you're going to flame me. I will just think you're too soft.

But all in all, whatever. I've seen worse.

Basically what you're saying in that second paragraph is that sensitive people are bad people, and if you're sensitive, you should learn not to be. (And that elderly abuse isn't a problem).
Posted Image

#119 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

what is with kids! i don't even get it, There is no way I would talk to a lady like that as a young man, I mean i was no angel, but this is completely unbelievable behavior

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#120 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

Basically what you're saying in that second paragraph is that sensitive people are bad people, and if you're sensitive, you should learn not to be. (And that elderly abuse isn't a problem).

LOL! That is not what I said or even implied.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.