The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

The owners in Florida have given Tallon the green light. That basically means go and get him.

Hockey's a business. Florida's owners want to make money. You don't do that by losing all of the time.

Now that they've gotten a taste of playoff success, I'm sure they're dying to get back there. Enter Luongo. They don't make the playoffs next season without a number 1, too many teams in the Southeast will get better.

Brodeur could be a factor here though. For the same cap hit and actual less $$, they could maybe get Marty for 2 years and have a chance to develop their young talent and have a proven #1 to take them into the playoffs. It could be more attractive than Lu's cost, cap hit and term.

Like I said before, don't underestimate the value that Luongo has as a marketing machine. He's a big name player that puts fans in the seats, regardless of what many Canucks fans think. He's an exciting player to watch.

That's what Florida needs. Something to make people in Florida talk about the team. No one currently on their roster will make them do that.

I agree but Marty is a pretty attractive commodity in that regard as well. Numerous cup rings and a final appearance last year. Sure would bring hope to the Florida faithful.

Lu could be like the return of the prodigal son. He wants to be there because it's Florida not just for $$ or a cup.

Either would be a good move for Florida.

Lu makes 6.7 mill the next few years. If you were florida wouldn't it be smarter to at least wait to see if Marty is gonna test the market and offer him a short term contract in that ball park. That way you get a much more accomplished veteran, not to mention hall of famer if not best goalie ever to play the game who can still play at a high level. Yea hes quite a bit older than Lu but would cost them no assets. Also, this way they could wait and see if Markstrom really is their goalie of the future. Seems like the smarter move to at least consider looking into. Maybe they want Lu bad, but I don't see why they would. They aren't trying to save cap space or anything, so a 6.7 salary is a 6.7 salary any way you slice it.

Archived