The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

I cannot believe that only Florida is in on the Lou sweepstakes. Gillis can play hardball by threatening to go into the season with two top goalies. The onus is on the acquiring teams simply because a season can be lost in the first 30 days of a season. Ask the Flamers.

I cannot believe that only Florida is in on the Lou sweepstakes. Gillis can play hardball by threatening to go into the season with two top goalies. The onus is on the acquiring teams simply because a season can be lost in the first 30 days of a season. Ask the Flamers.

I'd laugh hysterically if a trade to FLA came out today and gillis said it was done verbally yesterday morning but couldn't finalize till today. "yea we knew it was done yesterday but not formally, so I let my neighbours kid tweet about it to boost his street cred at school"

I'd laugh hysterically if a trade to FLA came out today and gillis said it was done verbally yesterday morning but couldn't finalize till today. "yea we knew it was done yesterday but not formally, so I let my neighbours kid tweet about it to boost his street cred at school"

Wonder if the Canucks would risk going over the cap on July 1 and putting the pressure on to get under it before the season starts.

I guess, though, Kesler's 5 mil on the IR will help in that regard and Ballard can always start in the AHL if they need to hide some more salary.

Lots of flexibility. I suppose I just answered my own question.

Wonder if the Canucks would risk going over the cap on July 1 and putting the pressure on to get under it before the season starts.

I guess, though, Kesler's 5 mil on the IR will help in that regard and Ballard can always start in the AHL if they need to hide some more salary.

Lots of flexibility. I suppose I just answered my own question.

From July 1st to the official first day of next season, I believe any team can go 10% over the cap ceiling, and just need to be cap-compliant as of the first day of the regular season. So for the off-season, the Canucks have almost 20M in cap space (as per Gillis in a recent interview, I think its posted on the Canucks homepage).

That would not be much of a threat. If the potential to retain both goalies is Gillis' only leverage (and this would be the case if Florida is indeed the only option for a Luongo trade), he is bargaining from a position of weakness. Given Schneider's new contract and the risk to locker room chemistry should we start the season with a goaltender controversy, accepting a low ball offer for Luongo might well be better for the team than playing "hardball".

There is no goaltending controversy in Van. The decision is obvious IMO with the Schneider contract. Vancouver can carry the two goalies until next March if need be. Granted that is not an ideal situation and I do not anticipate that result. Again my point is that teams with less than premier goaltending run the risk of falling behind their competitors and not being able to make up the points in time to make playoffs like the Flamers last season. As soon as a NHL team is faced with that situation the quicker they will be on the phone to MG to make a deal to save their season. So, no I don't agree with your proposition that MG is in a weak situation.

Archived