Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CanuckRow

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

4,387 posts in this topic

Matthias is a MG type player, so I could certainly see him target him. Big, young, offensive upside, and can play all 3 forward positions.

Raymond CAN be traded. The team just can't walk away from the arbatration ruling (like Atlanta did with MacArthur allowing him to be UFA). If the arbatrator rules Raymond's salary to be $2.2M he either plays for the Canucks, or they can trade him, but the salary is not negotiable.

I love how every team in the NHL will pay out the a$$ for the players we don't want.

We are that good

You do realize that we can't get that much for guys like raymond, ballard, malhotra, maybe even Luongo. these guys played full time and earned half of their salary, and if we were that good we would've won, not saying we didn't do well but we failed when it counted. Not being a bitter party here but you need to realize that what we've done hasn't gotten us the cup and until it does we can't stake the claim that we're "that" good.

But I do get what you're saying, we definitely have the assets to make some teams drool. But lately I've been getting the feeling that our last option might actually be to trade the kid (Schneids) for someone instead of Luongo and his mouth for nothing.

ROFL...based on what knowledge??  This is all absolute PURE speculation with zero foundation of evidence.

Media reports. From Iain McIntyre-National Post:

"Florida manager Dale Tallon, while not speaking specifically about Luongo or the Canucks, said teams are trying to raid the Panthers' stockpile of excellent prospects, including third-overall picks Jonathan Huberdeau and Erik Gudbranson and other first-rounders Nick Bjugstad and Quinton Howden."

From Yahoo.com sports:

"They've been grooming Jacob Markstrom as the eventual starter; and while another season in the AHL is a little disconcerting, the Panthers claim it's just to see him handle a full campaign. That, and GM Dale Tallon has said he's not parting with top prospects for Luongo."

Now, I realize that not all media reports are accurate, but I'd hardly say that there is "zero foundation" to them.

I don't blame Tallon at all. He's in rebuilding mode, rebuilding means you don't trade away your best prospects for an aging goalie.

Rebuilding?

The were the third seed last season. They lost out to the eventual Eastern champions on the strength of two overtime goals, both of which might have been stopped by a better goalkeeper.

Florida managed the third seed mainly because they play in a weak division. However, going into next season with status qou at the goaltending position is a big gamble, since Tampa Bay or Washington could supplant them and win the division. 2nd place in the southeast could easily have a team on the outside looking in when the playoffs roll around.

Tallon and Yzerman may both claim to be comfortable with their respective goaltending situations, but it's a smokescreen. They're about as comfortable as Charlie Sheen's PR rep.

IMO a sticking point in the Florida trade is that Theodore doesn't want to waive his NTC to come play backup in Van.

Florida is still in rebuilding mode. Last season they overachieved which is why they won their division. They've now lost Garrison and Samuelsson and added who? JF Jacques and Filip Kuba to 1 and 2 year contracts? They're waiting on their young guys to make it - they're surely still in rebuilding mode. Tallon has even said in interviews that he didn't expect the team to have this much success this early, but hey, he'll take it.

But yes, if they don't win the division they certainly could be 2nd place and on the outside looking in.

I want Gudbranson and Matthias.

"They've been grooming Jacob Markstrom as the eventual starter; and while another season in the AHL is a little disconcerting, the Panthers claim it's just to see him handle a full campaign. That, and GM Dale Tallon has said he's not parting with top prospects for Luongo."

Trying to make it sound like he confirms information before just spitting out anything his "sources" (read: internet searching/mind) tells him.