The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

It sounded like He would go anywhere if He thinks it was a good Team with a chance at the Cup. He already has moved away from Florida. He might even go to Edmonton for all you know. That is a team that cold be good in a few Years. So His list of possible teams is broader than you might think, which benefits the Canucks. What about Washington (unlikely though), or San Jose? Washington likes Holtby obviously, but if they can get a deal on Luongo thay might do it? Miemi isn't doing that well in San Jose. Even the FLyers could do something with "Bryz" for all you know. Trade Him to the KHL? The Flyers are a wealthy Team that can eat contracts like the Rangers. There are a few more options than I thought.

anyone like the idea of Phil Kessel? We know he's soft as butter, but he has game breaking speed and shooting skills. Cause Brian needs to know, that if he wants to win the Luongo deal, he is going to have to give up a player he originally didn't want to trade....

anyone like the idea of Phil Kessel? We know he's soft as butter, but he has game breaking speed and shooting skills. Cause Brian needs to know, that if he wants to win the Luongo deal, he is going to have to give up a player he originally didn't want to trade....

Tossing this new article into the pot... although personally, I think it's a terrible write-up - I stopped reading when she threw THIS little gem in there:

"The player that Chicago fans love to hate, having lost his starting goaltending position to Canucks back-up Cory Schneider, is now telling anyone who will listen that he will only allow a trade to the Chicago Blackhawks or the Florida Panthers."

Dunno where she's getting her info from by claiming that he's ONLY willing to go to either of those teams, when he pretty clearly stated in his radio interview yesterday that he really hasn't discussed possible trade destinations with Gillis as of yet...

Anyhoo, here's the link for those interested in catching up on more baseless speculation by somebody not named Eklund or samjam:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1250041-roberto-luongo-to-the-chicago-blackhawks-pros-and-cons

Listening to the interview as objectively as possible made me think of one thing...

This seems like a PR move by the Canucks and Luongo to get some market interest. The Canucks have been very smart about their interviews in more recent years and I just don't see Luongo going out of his way to break this kind of news randomly.

Call me a conspirator, but the fact that the interview was given to CFOX over Team 1040 also makes me think this was a more strategic move, maybe allowing more control over the types and way questions were asked, even the call in section seemed a little too well scripted.

That's my take on it and I think that the interview definitely benefitted the Canucks and Luongo to get a trade done.

My hope would be any of the following scenarios and I don't think they're impossible, but I'm not the GM:

Trade Lu to Florida for cap space and look to sign/trade for Weber

Trade Lu to Chicago for Patrick Kane

Trade Lu to Columbus for Nash

Trade Lu to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan, allowing Anaheim to flip Hiller to Toronto/Columbus/Chicago, etc.

None of those will probably happen though...

Don't get lost on the fact that we traded an end of the rope Bertuzzi, an unproven Allen and a backup Auld for Luongo. That was when Luongo was coming into his prime and we've had him for 6 great seasons. To expect a huge return may not be likely, but I still think he is a top 10 goalie in this league and can easily help teams win games, hence his value should be good.

The idea that Nash is worth 4 or 5 significant players/prospects is downright ridiculous.

The idea that Luongo can be had for a salary dump and a throw in is downright ridiculous

I'll be satisfied when MG cuts a deal in the middle - an elite prospect as he is asking, a mid range young player/prospect, perhaps a moderate roster salary return if the first two terms are met. I'm not buying the Chicago or Toronto options - a blueliner and center from Florida: Bjugstad and Petrovic, or Gudbranson and Matthias if the Canucks were to add a second asset. Yeah, I know, people are alleging that Tallon said no to any of his top prospects.... I also remember when Burke said 10 firsts for Schenn. Negotiating words.

Kinda agree with you but IMO the bottom line is that MG will want the equivalent of 2 first rounders back for Lou. They both do not have to be young prospects but I doubt a deal gets done with older players. That means 29 or younger. I admit that Lou's age might be a bit of an issue depending on what Gillis is asking for so a multi player deal is possible. ie a Raymond going with Lou. I anticpate a goaltender coming back as well which reinforces the idea of a Lou + Raymond going out.

Another angle might be a Gillis play for Weber at some point this season. Poile has to recognize that if Weber hasn't extended with him by now it probably isn't happening. Accepting that he will not get a big return for Weber unless Weber is willing to resign with the acquiring team. Poile will have to include Weber in this negociation simply to increase the return to Nashville. Why would Gillis offer a Edler for Weber if he did not know that Weber would extend? Won't happen. If he knows that Weber will extend then it all makes sense for both teams. Poile has already watched Suter walk without getting a thing back. Losing Weber would be a crisis situation. Touting a possible Norris candidate Edler in return gives some hope for the org. It is unbelievable to consider that Weber and Edler are almost the same age. One of the incentives for Gillis is that he potentially gets a jump on other teams making a pitch to Weber. Gillis has to do something to counter Minny and acquiring Weber puts him back into the CUP race in a serious way.

ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun suggests (below), Jose Theodore's willingness (or lack thereof) to waive his no-trade clause could be the only issue in play.

Just on ESPN this morning...If that is the case well poo, guess the boys from Quebec don't wanna come out to BC? would be interesting if we're able to convince him that he'll get a decent amount of games (like 35-40) and he won't have to crumble in the playoffs...be interesting to see what else is in play here

ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun suggests (below), Jose Theodore's willingness (or lack thereof) to waive his no-trade clause could be the only issue in play.

Just on ESPN this morning...If that is the case well poo, guess the boys from Quebec don't wanna come out to BC? would be interesting if we're able to convince him that he'll get a decent amount of games (like 35-40) and he won't have to crumble in the playoffs...be interesting to see what else is in play here

I don't think D Tallon gives up any prospects for Lu (when he says that I believe him) my guess is we get some decent vets (Goc, Kopecky, Bergenheim) to round our depth and Theodore. If we're lucky than we might be able to pry one of his NHL ready prospects like Ellerby or Matthais (not from his era so might be more willing to cut ties)

I don't think D Tallon gives up any prospects for Lu (when he says that I believe him) my guess is we get some decent vets (Goc, Kopecky, Bergenheim) to round our depth and Theodore. If we're lucky than we might be able to pry one of his NHL ready prospects like Ellerby or Matthais (not from his era so might be more willing to cut ties)

I think this Post will hit 200 pages before Luongo is Traded

because the asking is price is too high once August hits than it will happen I

think

The best assets we can get is Florida

but Chicago does have players I want like Brandon Saad or Brandon Pirri plus Dave Bolland as our 3rd line centre

( it was a Dream haha ) It will never happen but its a Dream

Luongo , Ballard , Schroeder and Raymond 1st round

for

Seabrook , Bolland , Emery , Montandor , Saad and Beach

I am DREAMING

I don't think D Tallon gives up any prospects for Lu (when he says that I believe him)  my guess is we get some decent vets (Goc, Kopecky, Bergenheim) to round our depth and Theodore.  If we're lucky than we might be able to pry one of his NHL ready prospects like Ellerby or Matthais (not from his era so might be more willing to cut ties)

Archived