The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

Trade Lu, best goaltender to date the franchise has ever had, and Burrows, hands down the best value in the NHL, and one of the NHL's best character guys, who does it all - for Kessel - a no character, no hitter, one trick pony? The guy is -38 with 36 hits in 3 years in Toronto, would be an absolute misfit in Vancouver, and the idea is to give the Leafs the heart and soul of the Canucks? That imo would replace the Neely trade as the most unsavoury in franchise history. Kessel belongs alongside Phaneuf - in more ways than one - as one of the most over-rated players in the NHL. The Leafs fix for their goaltending problems is not as easy as their other core problem - the players that their 'core' consists of.

Oh and by the way. I mentioned before the Canucks were eliminated from the playoffs, that Luongo would no longer be a Canuck up until the 2012-2013 trade deadline (at the latest). Somebody quoted me on that, and bet me $20. So just FYI if anyone has seen that post let me know. I don't care about the money. I just want the quotes.

The longer the Canucks wait the better. Even if it gets to the regular season with Lu it's perfect.

The reason why I say that is because once teams start to fall on their faces, they'll come begging for Lu and pay the moon. Especially teams like Toronto, Boston, Chicago, Philladelphia, Edmonton, Tampa and Florida.

Toronto can't afford a slow start, the fans will drive Burke right out of town.

Boston can't afford a slow start, they'll begin to think Rask isn't ready yet and better make a move.

I can go on and on.

I think those teams I named will become VERY desperate if they start off slow. There is a chance that some of them start off good but we all know most of them won't.

I personally don't want to wait that long but if it ups the value of Luongo and Luongo and Schneider are cool with it, then i'm all for it.

I just don't want to get a deal because we're taking the best low ball deal.

SamJam just retweeted this tweet from Florida President/CEO.

#FLAPanthers president/CEO: "@PanthersYormark: On the road again this week. Heading to vegas for a very important dinner on monday night."

In context, Luongo is currently in Vegas playing in the WSOP and would have a break Monday as Day one of the Main Event is spread over 3 or 4 days.

There are reasons that big trades are happening in the offseason or at the deadline. Salary Cap and team planning. Teams plan how their cap will be for the year and adding another 5 million dollar cap hit isn't easy to do. Teams don't want to go into the season uncertain and thinking, "oh maybe we'll just add another 5 million to our cap"... If the deal isn't done before the season starts, the number of teams interested will drop drastically, and in turn, without competition for him, the value of the return drops as well.

My interpretation of the Panther's President's tweet:

• A deal is in place, or at least extremely close to being in place

• Luongo will officially be asked to waive tonight or tomorrow morning

• Trade will be made official tomorrow morning

• The Panther's President is meeting with Luongo on Monday night to welcome him back to the organization.

I'm stuck on which prospect I'd want from Florida..

Bjustad- Big center but just denied a contract offer and may go the UFA route like Schultz did, kinda scary to get him in a trade

Huberdeau- That skilled/playmaking center that would fill the gap at our center depth position

Gudbranson- Probably the next Shea Weber but bigger and meaner. But at the same time with bieksa, hamuis, garrison locked up,

and Either Edler or Weber being the 4th dman next year, where does he fit?

I'd probably go with Huberdeau just because our team lacks depth at the center position like Gillis stated numerous times since the season ended. Even though getting bigger/meaner with Gudbranson is very tempting..

I'm stuck on which prospect I'd want from Florida..

Bjustad- Big center but just denied a contract offer and may go the UFA route like Schultz did, kinda scary to get him in a trade

Huberdeau- That skilled/playmaking center that would fill the gap at our center depth position

Gudbranson- Probably the next Shea Weber but bigger and meaner. But at the same time with bieksa, hamuis, garrison locked up,

and Either Edler or Weber being the 4th dman next year, where does he fit?

I'd probably go with Huberdeau just because our team lacks depth at the center position like Gillis stated numerous times since the season ended. Even though getting bigger/meaner with Gudbranson is very tempting..

The teams I listed will find a way to make $5mill to fit in their cap. It's not like we're taking 0 cap back. Huberdeau's cap hit is over 3mill. So it's not as bad as you make it out to be. Those teams will get real desperate and have no choice but to pay the price. Desperate times call for desperate measures.It's not like Luongo's cap hit is 7.8 million, it's only 5.3 million.

Archived